What's new

Blade Size?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
How is blade size actually determined? Is it measured from the edge to where the spine contacts the whetstone or is it from the edge to the top of the spine?

Whenever I see sellers place the blade on a measuring tape to indicate width, they measure from the blade to the top of the spine.

Usually the top of the spine especially in the U.S., but many of the older European razors were measured to the spine contact point. I use top of spine for my razors, but I think that if the standard became the hone contact point it would be an improvement.

Edge to contact makes this razor a 7/8. Edge to top of spine would make it 8/8. Here is classed as a 7/8
CF1D8603-5EF6-438B-A658-B5BE8E030D27.jpeg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I tend to agree that it should be to the (top of the) spine contact point. Then if you know the spine thickness you can easily work out the blades bevel angle, or what it should be if honed without tape.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Edge to the top of the spine wear is proper and logical, if you’re taking measurements to calculate the bevel angle, the top of the spine wear is where the calipers/micrometer will hit when you measure the spine thickness.

But that’s not what you get very often. Wider razors are more valuable than narrow ones, so there’s a strong motivation to measure to the top of the spine. Many sellers on eBay are not knowledgeable, so they measure total width which is understandable.

Most razors are from the edge to the top of the spine. The exception I've found is a lot of French razors. They measure larger than stamped.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Measure blade size from top to bottom. When calculating edge angle, measure from top of the hone wear to edge of blade.

Top Bottom