What's new

Blade search journey

I have to admit I am surprised at the difference in quality, comfort and sharpness of the different DE blades available.
When I decided to try classic shaving, I thought it was ridiculous that there would be variations in the blade - but I was very wrong.

Based on advice on this forum, I bought a sampler pack that included Derby, Astra SP, Astra SS, Erbe Solingen Fresh and Feather blades. I have yet to try the feather, but the Astra SP is the clear winner to date (for my face and razor).
I have just added samplers for Gillette Silver Blue, 7'Oclock Sharpedge and Personna Med Prep blades. Wtach this space for the champion...

I'm sure I'll land on something I can buy in bulk after the trial is over. I'll keep the sampler packs for trial my next DE razor purchase - because you NEED more than 1 razor... :thumbup:

-Bill

Astras are very popular around here for providing consistent high quality shaves. I like the Gillette Silver Blues, too. My favorite so far has been the PolSilvers.

Astra's are my fav. You'll find out that a blade performs well in one razor, not so well in another. That's why those with multiple razors have multiple types of blades! And yes, you need more than one razor! and cream.. and soap.. and brush....

Astra's are my fav. You'll find out that a blade performs well in one razor, not so well in another. That's why those with multiple razors have multiple types of blades! And yes, you need more than one razor! and cream.. and soap.. and brush....

I need multiples of everything, got it!!

Astras are very popular around here for providing consistent high quality shaves. I like the Gillette Silver Blues, too. My favorite so far has been the PolSilvers.

I am anxious to try the "made in Russia" Gillette blades. I guess that's where the Astra SP comes from as well..

I actually haven't personally experimented with numerous blades. I've paid close attention to comments and reviews of various blades and based my selection on that. I have a 100-pack of Astra SS and also a 100-pack of Astra SP. Both have given good shaves, but it seems to me the Astra SP is a bit better. I get a great shave with the SP's and am sticking with them. I change the blade after the 3rd shave. No cuts or rash and a very enjoyable CCS. :001_smile

In the threads here the Astra SP's seem to receive a lot of praise. In my experience it's well-deserved.

proxy.php

jcs266 - I thought there be next to nothing between the Astra SP and SS, but I was wrong. I like that Astra SP's can be had for a great price in a 100 pack....

jcs266 - I thought there be next to nothing between the Astra SP and SS, but I was wrong. I like that Astra SP's can be had for a great price in a 100 pack....

It is hard to believe how two blades from the same company can give varying results. And even from person to person, razor to razor.

Have you or anyone noticed whether the same blade can vary from lot to lot or over time?

The Astras are very affordable and efficient blades. I haven't personally tried the Personna med preps, but if they're anything close to the Lab Blues, they should offer a fantastic shave.

My go-to blades at the moment are the Voskhod blades. Smooth, sharp and efficient!

Amazing Coincidence: I shaved with ATT Kronos M1, Astra SP, and Omega Boar brush this morning also. I'm rotating with the feather blade (also with the Feather AS-D2 as well. Today marked my best ever shave, but I think it was technique and lathering that was best ever today, so I wouldn't give all credit to the gadgets; but they help!

I actually haven't personally experimented with numerous blades. I've paid close attention to comments and reviews of various blades and based my selection on that. I have a 100-pack of Astra SS and also a 100-pack of Astra SP. Both have given good shaves, but it seems to me the Astra SP is a bit better. I get a great shave with the SP's and am sticking with them. I change the blade after the 3rd shave. No cuts or rash and a very enjoyable CCS. :001_smile

In the threads here the Astra SP's seem to receive a lot of praise. In my experience it's well-deserved.

proxy.php

It is hard to believe how two blades from the same company can give varying results. And even from person to person, razor to razor.

Have you or anyone noticed whether the same blade can vary from lot to lot or over time?

jcs266 - I haven't experienced bladed to blade variance in a multi-pack yet. I am working through single blades (3-4 shaves each) from each manufacturer. I'm sure when I land on "my brand" and buy 100 - there will be some variance between blades....

Don't discount the "low end" blades, some work great and are cheap. I discovered Treet Durasharps have given me some of the best shaves yet, they may not last as long as others but they're dirt cheap. The Treet Black Beauties are a close second. I am having great success with the inexpensive Russian blades lately.

I recommend the "From Russia with Love" samples available from Italian Barber. All the blades in this sample (Ladas, Rapira(various), and Voskhod gave me incredible shaves. I settled on the Ladas for my first 100 pack order. Currently I am getting great results and averaging 5+ shaves per blade.

However, I have also used samples of: Astras, Bolzano, Derby, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Pol Silver, and Feather blades with good to great results. Of these, I found the Feathers were the best, with Derby blades bringing up the rear.

Ultimately, I think which blade(s) a given DE shaver employs will depend up their skill, razor(s) used, and which soap(s) / cream(s) they choose.

Here are my top blades, I just ordered a sample of Rapira Platinum Lux to try out. Any one of my favorites can fluctuate a rank or two depending on which razor I'm using. Which reminds me I'm almost out of PolSilver's but probably have a lifetime supply of Personna's.

1) Personna Lab Blue
2) PolSilver
3) Gillette 7 O'Clock Black
4) ASTRA Superior Platinum
5) Gillette Silver Blue
6) Voskhod

I to have gone on a similar journey trying a whole variety of blades. Derbys, Astras, Feathers, just to name a few, but there were others, that i have yet to try. I had high expectations for Feathers - but honestly...? I hated Feathers! I know they're supposed to feel sharp sharp sharp...but i had more tugging and more iritation than i expected! Derby was ok, for 1-2 shaves. The first shave with a Derby was awesome, 2nd shave was ok, and then had to throw it out for the 3rd shave.
For me the winner so far is ASTRA! I get at least 4 awesome sharp and BBS shaves, no problem. Will see how i got with a few of the other brands i have yet to try. But i have a gut feeling that i will be sticking with Astra.

1 personna labs/meds
2 polsilver SI
3 Astra SP

I'm firmly in the anti-feather camp. Shave 1 very close but uncomfortable, shave 2 is perfection, steep degradation after that.

After a rather lengthy blade trial of my own, I finally settled on:

1) Astra SP, my go-to and bulk purchase blade
2) Polsilver SI
3) Gillette Silver Blue

I use the occasional Feather/Voshkod in a very mild razor when I take a momentary vacation from my EJ89, but that's exceedingly rare.

Top Bottom