What's new

Blade sampler question

Bought a blade sampler from West Coast Shaving. Can't wait to try the different blades.

my question is, is there a particular order to try these?

I am going to try the following order

Wilkinson Sword (currently using, getting good shaves)

DORCO Platinum ST-300
DORCO Platinum ST-301

Sharp
Merkur Super Platinum
Super-Max Stainless
Shark Super Stainless
Shark Super Chrome
BIC Chrome Platinum
Lord Platinum
Nacet Platinum
Astra Superior Platinum
Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge
Red Pack Israeli
Crystal or "Israeli"
Derby Extra
Feather New Hi-Stainless Platinum

Any other suggestions?

That's a nice sampler. You are bound to find several that work well for you. I'm not sure the order matters much, though you might not want to jump right to the blades with a reputation for being super sharp or unforgiving -- Feather and Super-Max. Good luck and have fun.

I had wondered the same thing actually, and just receiving a sampler of sorts in the mail today wondered what I should jump into first. Much like John suggested I figured the best bet is to put off the ones that are typically agreed upon as the most sharp until a bit later.

Beyond those couple brands that pretty much everyone agrees as being incredibly sharp, blades are such a YMMV issue that your best bet is probably to just pick one and go with it.

The order doesn't matter, so start anywhere but keep a written record of how each blade works for you. When you find one that you really like make that one your current best. Then compare each new blade to that one. You might find one thats even better and that one will be your new #1. Compare all others to your #1. Once you've found your own best, rate the others in descending order, that way you'll have backups should you run out of your #1.

The order doesn't matter, so start anywhere but keep a written record of how each blade works for you. When you find one that you really like make that one your current best. Then compare each new blade to that one. You might find one thats even better and that one will be your new #1. Compare all others to your #1. Once you've found your own best, rate the others in descending order, that way you'll have backups should you run out of your #1.

+100. I wish I had done something along these lines, although I had a good time bouncing around from blade to blade, and then circling back. You may find, though, that your blade preferences will change over time, as your technique improves. Enjoy your sampler!

I have the same question as the OP, but don't want to spam the forum with a new thread.
My sample pack comes with:
Feather Stainless
Astra Superior Stainless (blue)
Astra Superior Platinum (green)
Treet Platinum
Derby Platinum+ceramic
Supermax Stainless
And I also currently use Personna Platinum Chrome (reds).

Can anyone give me a rough idea of the order of sharpness & which will be the most/least forgiving?

This really is a subjective view as everyone reacts differently to different blades. i say pick a pack and use it until it is gone, then move on to the next one. i would do it randomly, but YMMV.
Feathers are notorious for being excessively sharp, but you may not find them to be such. Good luck and welcome to the forum to both of you.

I was shaving with Derbys before I purchased a sampler. The advice I was given was to start with the blades with the better reputation.

So I started with Feathers. They are an aggressive blade and took some getting used to, but for me starting with a better blade saved me from dealing with the potential frustration of a blade with an inferior sharpness.
The Feathers were tough. I had to learn to use an extra light touch and slow down on my upper lip, neck and chin, but the Feathers are what I will use for comparison

I have one more day with the Feathers, then it's on to Astras.

Kelly

I'm stuck on the swords. They work great for me. I don't know about anyone else but my local walmart sells them in a ten pack for 1.76. Look where the razor cartridges are. They are at the very top on the left at my store.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Barry:
My humble advice is to try 2,3,4 or 5 blades (however which amount per blade brand), before moving on to the next blade.

Also, long ago when I received my Sampler, I started a Thread entitled "In what Order should I test these Sampler Razor Blades?", and the best advice was from member Optometrist a.k.a David who stated;

"I say jump straight in with the Feathers [and then the KAI's]. Yes, they are sharp, but you learn very quickly to let the weight of the razor do the work for you. If you can get the feather right, then it's plain sailing with the others. A few nicks and cuts early on are nothing to worry about and stand you in good stead. Start with a lesser blade and it's a continual learning process as you step up the level of sharpness". :yesnod:

Also, member Npsarros stated, "Keep a spreadsheet with every shave [you], have taken, rating each blade as [you], go along". My spread data ratings reads in columns as follows;

a) Razor Blade / Country / Type

b) Sharpness? (aggressive, moderate sharpness, mild sharpness, tugging or pulling, ect...).

c) Closeness of Shave? (DFS, CCS, BBS, ect...).

d) Smoothness/Roughness of Shave? (moderately smooth, very smooth, very,very smooth, ect...).

e) Comfort of Shave? (no irratation, slight irratation, touch of burn, itching, ect...).

f) Overall Rating? (awesome, great, passable or unpleasant).

g) Compatible with your Razor(s)? (yes or no).

PM me with your e-mail address and I will send you my workable spread sheet example.

attachment.php
"A razor [blade] can't be sharpened on a piece of velvet." Author Unknown

The only part I'd disagree on is save one blade of each type, stash it, then re-evaluate it like 2-3 months later. I dismissed a blade or two as not suitable for me, when in fact they simply weren't suitable for my still evolving prep and technique at the time I initially tested them.

Top Bottom