What's new

Blade Sampler Question

I just purchased a new razor (Merkur 38c) and a bunch of blades to sample.
Is there any order I should use these in?

Feathers
Gillette 7 O'Clock
Treet Classic
Astra Stainless
Astra

I also have some Derbys left over, that I wasn't really that impressed with, with my Weshi

Thanks for the help

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
There aren't really a good order. In your case, you are more experience now, if you have a prefence, pick that one.

I never liked Derby but they were all right in a few razors...

I just purchased a new razor (Merkur 38c) and a bunch of blades to sample.
Is there any order I should use these in?

Feathers
Gillette 7 O'Clock
Treet Classic
Astra Stainless
Astra

I also have some Derbys left over, that I wasn't really that impressed with, with my Weshi

Thanks for the help
Don't give up on the Derby. Different razors will give different results when paired up with some blades.

For breaking in a new razor, I start with the Derby, since it gives a nice, mild shave. You can still get to BBS with it, it just takes more passes.

I don't know enough about the 7'Oclock and Treet, so I'll leave it to others to fill in the blanks on those brands.

The Astra Superior Platinum is my all around blade that does a great job no matter what razor I put it in. I would save that one for the fourth blade you try, since it is pretty high on the sharpness scale.

Save the Feathers for last. Since it has a reputation for being the sharpest blade available, you want to get your technique down pat before you venture into Feather-land.

In all cases, try each brand for at least a week before you move on. You might find yourself regressing, and going back to a blade you tried earlier. And since you're conducting a blade experiment, keep all your other variables constant. Use the same brush, cream, after-shave, etc.

No particular order, but I would suggest using each brand of blades 2 or 3 in a row before moving on. This way you can return to the left overs later and remind yourself what you liked and disliked about each after you've made your way through all the brands. The corollary to this is that if you use only one at a time you may not give them a really fair shake.

Personally, I like the Gillettes. Those Derbys are always real stinkers for me too.

Never tried Treets but I would do the 7 O'Clocks, Astra, and then Feather. Astra's are great but Feathers are pretty sharp. I personally use Feather Platinum everyday.

Thanks for the input. I knew from reading around here that Feathers should be last, but I wasn't sure if I should just jump in and pick one to start with or if there was an order I should use.

Thanks for the input. I knew from reading around here that Feathers should be last, but I wasn't sure if I should just jump in and pick one to start with or if there was an order I should use.

I think Feather's reputation for brutality is overrated. A razor is a razor, and they're all pretty sharp. I think you should try them first just to show them who's boss.

Second shave with the 7 O'clock and still noticed some pulling, not sure this is the blade or getting used to the longer handle of the 38c.

The 7 O'clock were nasty for me as well. Out of your list the Astra's worked best for me. Like they say YMMV.

Couldn't deal with the 7 O'clocks for another day (they gave me some mega razor bumps on my neck). I tried the Astra Stainless today and still noticed some pulling but definately a whole lot better.

Second day with the Astra Stainless and I have decided that I changed too many things at once. Razor, blades & soap and have yet to perfect the art of lathering Kent/MWF, so I pulled out my Proraso White (that I could get good lather out of in my sleep) and used that today. I didn't notice any tugging or drag whasoever. I guess my Kent/MWF will go on the backburner until I find the right blade and then I can mess around with it.

Can anyone suggest a good blade for a complete newbie with a recently PIF'd 1940's SS and Parker's 22R and 98R? Still waiting on delivery of my TOBS Sandalwood cream. Steve

Top Bottom