What's new

Blade sample what to try first

So I have a sampler pack coming to me and I'm trying to decide what order to try them in. Options are as follows

derby extra
somthing Russian starting with a p
shark
laser platinum
astra platinum
permasharp super

Derby Extra. This is a very smooth blade and it is rather sharp. It is a nice beginner blade. If the Derby is to sharp, try a Shark. A Shark blade is also smooth but not as sharp as a Derby IMHO.

I'd go totally random. Just reach in and grab one without looking. And hope that you draw the Astra's first! :)

Derby Extra. This is a very smooth blade and it is rather sharp. It is a nice beginner blade. If the Derby is to sharp, try a Shark. A Shark blade is also smooth but not as sharp as a Derby IMHO.

+1 for the derby to start. I, for one, think the sharks are sharper than derbys, but leave it to your face to tell the difference.

... one other recommendation (from experience): use one brand of blade for a week (2-3 blades total) before moving on to the next brand. It's easier to tell the differences between them.

-- Chet

Really doesn't matter what order you do them in. Blades have multiple properties that differ between brands, they're not ranked on a strict continuum.

the perma-sharp will give you a pritty good shave to, mabye the sharpest, but you have to cork the bade first, or it will be a little rough on the first shave :001_smile

Top Bottom