What's new

Blade Rotation

Yes
I grab what moves me. I have over a dozen different blades and currently my preferred blade is Rapira SSS. I’ve only disliked a few. They all have their own qualities to enjoy.

I love trying new blade options!

But I have a ‘top tier’ that I return to frequently to provide a base-line (in no particular order):
Personna lab
Personna red (Israeli)
GSB
Nacet
Astra SP

Found these interesting old looking blades during my after work hunts while on the road..
20200222_220904.jpg

20200222_221419.jpg

In both English and Malaysian ...our local language. Will try both with 2 Gillette razor tomorrow and if it's good will sweep the small shop clean out of these and put it into my rotation...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Rotations are a curious behaviour that some people seem compelled to do, maybe for some cultural reason that I don't understand. I'd always prefer free choice or apathy over any kind of "system".

I have a Tupperware tub of assorted blades, and just reach in and grab one. I don't care whether or not it's the same brand as the one I just discarded. All the blades I have are ones that I know work in all my razors anyway. If I fancy using something specific, then I will, otherwise it's just lucky dip. There isn't a single part of my life that is organised in rotations.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
No it isn't. I don't eat the same food at every meal. Neither do I have a food rotation. If I reach for a clean shirt, it is not a wardrobe rotation. If I log off here and start reading a different website, that's not a website rotation. Some folks like to systemise everything, and some don't.

No it isn't. I don't eat the same food at every meal. Neither do I have a food rotation. If I reach for a clean shirt, it is not a wardrobe rotation. If I log off here and start reading a different website, that's not a website rotation. Some folks like to systemise everything, and some don't.

Whatever makes you feel better. It wasn't meant as an insult.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Whatever makes you feel better. It wasn't meant as an insult.

I know, and I was just trying to putting an alternate perspective over, though maybe not clearly enough. :surrender:

I see "rotation" as a planned system, rather than just using whatever you happen to have. For some it may be a strict sequence of use (like food rotation, so there isn't stuff at the back of the cupboard going out of date), for others maybe a sub-set of what they own, that they rotate though less strictly ("I'll only use these five for a few weeks, then swap some out" - kind of thing). For me, if I've got it, I'll use it, but they're all up for grabs at any time, and it's a free or even choice of anything I own. No system, no plan, no restrictions.

That's how I see the distinction/definition anyway. Maybe it means different things to different people :)

If it wasn’t a “rotation” why does “random rotation” have the word “rotation” in it.

I'd imagine that as per the sub-set example I gave. I don't see why someone using anything they happen to own as a rotation. I have a couple of razors I haven't used for a year or more, and they might stay there for another two years ... or I might use one next week. Are they in a rotation...? (rhetorical question) To me ... no :hand:

It all comes down to your individual definition I suppose :crazy:

Last edited:
Some enjoy order. It makes them feel at ease and gives comfort. Others like opinions and freedom to choose.
I have about 30 soaps and I tend to limit myself to a collection of 9 that I keep in the “den” to choose from. Is that a rotation? I guess. My blades are a bit more random than that and I only use two razors currently.

+1 I’m another one here who likes to do blade rotation constantly too. I have 10 different brands of blades I’m currently using with varying amounts of shaves on them too.
I have 45 types of blades brands (and counting, because I am still looking for more).
Using just one blade till it wears out is too boring for me too and I may not have enough time to try all my blades. So I rotated my blades daily.
I too keep a record by marking with a tick on the blades wrapping and on my SOTD journal. I am a daily shaver...if I can shave twice a day even better..LOL. Even while I on the road (I travel frequently) I will bring different blades.

My thoughts...very interesting indeed. I rotate daily my razors as well as with the blades and it's amazing how I can feel the minute changes with different razor blade pairings. I enjoyed the varied process and the results. Most good but some poor.
I will generally ditch my blades by the 5th used except the top tier blades. My top tier is Feather, Astra SP & SS although there are some other blades which to me feels very close to Astra SP & SS.
Nothing beat a Feather though!
Thanks!
Me too Chard.I have over 3200 blades and switch every shave to a different brand blade.I don't really have a favorite but Gillettes are good across the board.The worst was a ZAZA platinum.The best lately has been a Tatra which suprized me and cheap 9.99-100.As you know the prep is everything.Mal the other contributor on here knows his blades too....read his posts they are spot on!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Me too Chard.I have over 3200 blades and switch every shave to a different brand blade.I don't really have a favorite but Gillettes are good across the board.The worst was a ZAZA platinum.The best lately has been a Tatra which suprized me and cheap 9.99-100.As you know the prep is everything.Mal the other contributor on here knows his blades too....read his posts they are spot on!

+1 on prep. I am seriously & hopelessly addicted to DE blades... :laugh:

I rotate blades, but my routine is based on beard age. I have my 2-3 day old beard blades, Polsilver, Personna "Lab Blues", Kai. Then my 1 day old beard, Voskhod, Derby, Rapira. Sometimes I will bring in newbies and rotate them in. Using my EJ89, I can feel the difference between blades, however, in my Rockwell 6C, not too much. Most shaves just feel smooth.

Love trying new blades!

I rotate blades, I use a blade for 3 shaves and then I toss it. I'm still trying to narrow it down. The blades that I like I buy 100 packs of, and my favorites so far are: Gillette Nacet, Voskhod, Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless and Feather.

I "rotate" my blades but mostly because I am testing out Rockwell on different settings with different blades. I do have more than 1 favourite brand but I don't really plan on how to use them. I load a razor with something and stick to it untill I bin the blade (3-5 shaves). Next loading is either same blade or something else, depends on the mood. Everything else is overthinking and unnecesarry complications IMHO

Love trying new blades!

I rotate blades, I use a blade for 3 shaves and then I toss it. I'm still trying to narrow it down. The blades that I like I buy 100 packs of, and my favorites so far are: Gillette Nacet, Voskhod, Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless and Feather.
Thats a great group of blades you are shaving with ...kudos to you!

When using a DE I change my blades weekly. I aim for 7 shaves and then change. Always changing to a different blade of manufacture.

I am currently testing daily shaves with 20+ DE blades, up to eight shaves each.

I am thinking that as of the first of the year, I will go through one blade each week for seven shaves. I would like to start with a fresh blade every Monday morning.

I am curious to see how workable this will end up being?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I am currently testing daily shaves with 20+ DE blades, up to eight shaves each.

I am thinking that as of the first of the year, I will go through one blade each week for seven shaves. I would like to start with a fresh blade every Monday morning.

I am curious to see how workable this will end up being?
I start with a fresh blade on a Monday morning. Last shave with that blade is Sunday morning. Works for me. Hopefully it will work for you as well. Sometimes the blade does the seven shaves easy and sometimes the last few shaves can be very interesting.

Top Bottom