What's new

Blade Review: Dorco Titan

I'm working my way through a selection I received in a sampler. Today was the first shave with the Dorco Titan blade. With this shave, I used TOBS Sandalwood cream.

As I do with all new blades, I strop them before their initial use to take care of any burrs left over from the manufacturing process. I've found that blades generally perform better the first time out after doing this.

This test is being done with a 1959 Gillette Fatboy razor set on the "8" setting, which is pretty aggressive. This is the typical setting I use.

My usual shave is 3.5 passes. The first pass goes down the face and neck. The second pass goes across the face and neck from outside to inside. The third pass goes up the face and neck. The last half-pass is on the neck only, going across from inside to outside.

These blades are stated on the package to be manufactured in Vietnam under license from the South Korean company.
1587648591660.png

The quality of the shave itself is good. There is little stubble remaining, perhaps a hair here or there. It's just about a BBS shave.

My face however is really irritated. It doesn't look it outwardly, but it feels like I shaved with a piece of broken glass. On top of that, I had so many weepers that it looked like my neck had sprung a leak. I usually get one or two light weepers at the center bottom of my neck, but these were all over. I also nicked myself in a couple of places, which is really unusual.

Overall, I'm not a fan. I'll do one more shave with this blade to see if the second shave is any better than the first, but I'm not optimistic.

The tuck was either a 5-blade or 10-blade tuck. If anyone wants one to try themselves, send me a PM with name and address and I'll drop one into the mail to you.

Nice review. Sorry you didn't like it. The Dorco Titan is one of my top blades. For me it is very sharp and smooth. But I do like Derby Extra's so...

I have a bunch of different Dorco blades but haven’t tried any of them yet. If I try a blade first in an agressive razor and it doesn’t suit, I’ll give it another go in a gentle razor and then a slant. Every blade has a razor. You just have to find it.

My face however is really irritated. It doesn't look it outwardly, but it feels like I shaved with a piece of broken glass. On top of that, I had so many weepers that it looked like my neck had sprung a leak. I usually get one or two light weepers at the center bottom of my neck, but these were all over. I also nicked myself in a couple of places, which is really unusual.

Overall, I'm not a fan. I'll do one more shave with this blade to see if the second shave is any better than the first, but I'm not optimistic.
That sounds similar to my first shave with a Dorco Titan. I also had several weepers and significant post-shave irritation. The entire experience was substandard.

On the second shave, it was the same story. This time, I had to buff excessively to get a close shave which led to more razor burn. I usually subscribe to the theory that a blade will get better as the coating wears off (note: the Titan has a double-teflon coating), but I wasn't sure that I wanted to keep using this blade to test it.

However, I broke down and tried it a third time. Surprise! I had a very good shave with no lingering irritation. At this point, it felt like many other mid-tier, medium-sharp blades such as the Astra SP.

I've since used it a fourth time and it produced another close, comfortable shave. The ATG pass was particularly smooth. I suspect that the coating has finally worn down to expose more of the blade edge.

So, the moral of the story is that my initial impression was hasty. It turned out to be a good performer, although I had to suffer two crappy shaves to find out. If you can manage to do the same, you might get the same result.

I tried a second shave with the Dorco blade. Pretty much the same results. My face looks and feels like I shaved with a pocket knife. I think I'll move on from this one.

Last edited:
Maybe corking the blade might be worth a try. It'll help to remove the coating, plus maybe mellow out the blade at the same time.

There's an explanation (and how-to video) at:

Maybe corking the blade might be worth a try. It'll help to remove the coating, plus maybe mellow out the blade at the same time.

There's an explanation (and how-to video) at:

I already stropped the blade, as I show on my video.

Dorco Titan blade 1st shave this A.M. Tools used: Merkur Futur on setting #2- Arko soap & Razorock Disrupter synthetic brush. The razor slid over the Arko without a snag. The blade was sharp & pretty smooth overall. A small amount of stubble left behind after 2 passes & touchup took care of that. I usually use the Futur on setting #4 but was not taking chances with an unknown blade.! No nicks or weepers or neck irritation noted. It was a darn close shave overall. The Titan was a pretty decent blade for me overall. Thanks to the original poster for providing the Titan blade.! :thumbup1:

For me they're pretty sharp. The smoothness is so-so. You can feel the blade edge but at the end of the shave after applying lotion and balm my face feels fine, with no problems. Maybe a milder razor is in order.

Dorco Titan 7th shave this A.M. Same tools used. I could get a couple more shaves out of it still but, the Titan has proven it self to me. I get smooth close shaves from this blade & it reminds me of the Dorco ST-300 blade a lot. Many thanks to the OP that allowed me to try the Titan blade out.! :thumbup1:

Dorco Titan 7th shave this A.M. Same tools used. I could get a couple more shaves out of it still but, the Titan has proven it self to me. I get smooth close shaves from this blade & it reminds me of the Dorco ST-300 blade a lot. Many thanks to the OP that allowed me to try the Titan blade out.! :thumbup1:

I'm glad it worked out for you. It sure didn't for me. That's why the term "your mileage may vary".

Had my first shave with this blade 1st used maggard v3, mr5 type handle, yaqi purple haze and proraso sandalwood/red soap. Very good shave very smooth,not overly sharp, but decently sharp and no tugging. Haven't tested the red st301, but compared to the blue st-300 and dorco prime platinum I think I like the titan the best. Thanks to original poster for the sample.

I gave these blades another try, in both my razors. Again, decent shaves but an irritated face. No mas for me.

I have not tried the Dorco Titan blades. I love the Dorco Prime Platinum STP301 blades made in Vietnam.

I find that mild razors tend to work best with very sharp blades. Aggressive razors tend to work best with very smooth blades (smooth, but not dull). Moderate razors like the EJ DE89 will often work with a wide range of blades. Since you tried the Titan blades in a Fat Boy on an aggressive setting, it may be that the Titan blades are not suitable in a razor of that level of aggression. I suggest you try the blades in another razor if you have one; otherwise try the blades in the Fat Boy with a lower setting.

Top Bottom