What's new

Blade reserve

Gentlemen,

Maybe a few stupid questions but I'm gonna ask them anyway:

How much blades do you have in reserve? I've read quite alot that the majority of you buy blades in 50 or 100 packs but I guess most of you have alot more blades?

Do you guys fear that once your reserve of your favorite blade has been used up, you won't be able to find any blades anymore? I'm having that fear if I can be honest. Surely, DE blades are still available on alot of places but it will be getting harder and harder to find them due to the big public using the modern cartridge razors.

Suppose you buy 5 packs of 100 blades at the same time which should last you easily for at least 5 to 7 years of shaving with your perfect blade, is there a chance that the blade quality degrades over years time, taking into account the fact that they have been properly sealed and stored in good environmental conditions?

Just wondering here, nothing more. I have so far tried Swedish Gillettes and Derbies and while I initially found that the Gillettes gave better shaves, I have found the Derbiest just a little smoother. It will most likely also be because of the fact that I'm still learning quite alot of technique and that on one or two weeks time, your technique is improving (certainly in the beginning).

So, just wondering in general:
- do you guys fear that within a few years you won't be able to find any good blades anymore due to the rising popularity of electrical or cartridge shaving
- do you guys build up big reserves so that should blades become more scarce, you still have a decent reserve to last you with several years of proper shaving?
- certainly for the old gurus: if you store blade packs properly, is their shaving performance still the same after let's say 5 years in the closet?

Thank you in advance for any additional insight you can give me!

Those are some good questions. I guess I just like to stock up on things. If I find a great price I buy in bulk. It sometimes drives my wife crazy. I really feel we'll always be able to find DE blades. I really wouldn't be surprised if people start going away from the high price cartridge blades. I know several of us did, right?

A 1991 British article relating to razor blade manufactures listed the 1989 production of the major blade suppliers. Adding up just the top producers comes to 4250 million blades per year.
There are also at lest two Chinese manufacturers (Shanghai Jishi Razor Blade Manufacturer and Benxi Jincheng ) producing millions of blades per month.
Clearly somebody out there besides us are using these things.

Ron

Real MEN have at least 300 blades laid up in their shave shacks!:drool: What happens if there is a nuclear catastrophe and you are caught short with only 5 or 10 blades?:crying:

guenron said:
Real MEN have at least 300 blades laid up in their shave shacks!:drool: What happens if there is a nuclear catastrophe and you are caught short with only 5 or 10 blades?:crying:

In that eventuality he who has blades is King.

:cool:

guenron said:

I have a few more than 300. :biggrin: If the nuclear catastrophe happens, I'll just stop selling the sampler packs.

I have about 90+ Derbys, and assorted part full packs of other brands laying around. I'm not as worried about a nuclear war as some appear to be--hope I'm right.:confused:

mrob said:
I have about 90+ Derbys, and assorted part full packs of other brands laying around. I'm not as worried about a nuclear war as some appear to be--hope I'm right.:confused:
Ah! It'll be me and Tina, Beyond Feather Dome..:thumbup1:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
guenron said:

Personally, I'm stocking up on the outside chance that should the aforementioned scenario come to pass, blades may be used as currency.

20 Merkurs
20 Euro Gilettes (thinking about building a larger stock of these locally available blades)
5 Personnas (won't be buying these again)

Let me see about ,

4500- Derby Extra's
92-Israeli
260-Sharp (1500 comming in Fresh soon)(custom re-designed in close co-operation from a couple B&B moderators/Factory )
250-Fresh Feathers
82-EJ-Force800
82-EJ-Force810
9-Tesco Blades
300- 7am (V1+V2)
87- other Korean Blades (3 different types)
5-SuperMax stainless
90- Russian Gillette's
4-Wilkinson Sword
70-Balaka Blades (low class)
1500- SHARP Blades ** edit had to ad this to the list arrived yesterday.
8- Schick injector blades.

Obviously im a blade seller , or a masochist im trying to really lure towards the sellers side !

I started being a seller , as indeed you mention being SCARED STIFF waking up and not being able to grab my fav. blade which still hasnt my voting which one is my fav. blade hence the many choices above.
Next I started to think why not spread the joys of wetshaving and teach everyone to use these instead of the M3 or atleast make sure people have a life long supply by making sure these hit Europe.

As you being worried that one day the productions of these will stop, dont worry that will not happen. The M3 is basically only possible for people with $$$ in their pocket or have had a high educational level of a Bachelor or Masters degree in 3rd world Countries . M3 is expensive where ever you are!
People in 3rd world countries are forced by their poverism to hang on to double edge way of shaving. but ! even paying for example a 5 pack of Feather or Derby Extra would be like half their day's salary ! so what even exists beyond the good DE blades we get is low class economic blades.
Low Class economic costs a few cents a pack , I hurt my face on that one it is like scraping with sandpaper over your face, imagine the factory making these even advices these blades are not made for shaving ? what are they doing in stores ? well even someone who has no job and is very poor there is a markey outthere for those aswell .ID think my kitchen Chef knive is sharper then those blades they will never hit the Western world simply we earn enough here to buy decent blades. still many men in the western society Im sure complain about Gillette's monopoly status and prices but are not aware of the happy free Go life we as wetshavers have.
Do NOT tell them about ,SCAD,RAD,BAD if one of those hit you up you will easily spend more then a years shaving on M3 money wise but the fun will be like quadrupple the enjoyment ,there must be wetshavers out there who only have 2 cakes of soap, 2 tubes of cream 1 razor, 1 brush. 1 box of blades.

Im trying to provide low class blades with a high impact , currently one of the blades is pretty close in providing this the word should be economic class and not low class. the economy blade ill provide is called SHARP which pretty much has an acceptable standard now to us spoiled westerners ,with high impact I mean a turn around in thinking why use a blade more then once or twice when its economical enough to ditch the blade and get a fresh one each morning this is something im trying to implement but time will tell if people will go for such ways.

*** News Flash ***

Mama Bear soaps hitting Europe. comming soon thru my ebay shop aswell.
I have got permission from mama bear (minor note)

PS

The Sharp blade has proven to be able to give 3 good shaves which still makes it a good quality vs price blade but im still in the phase of finding out how to market it , latest news is the blade gives different results in different razors which all blades might do , but that would make it so that one guy could get a great shave and another one a mediocre/average something I didnt anticipate in.

Ashe said:

Cant hide anything from you guys, Ashe must have EAGLE EYES.:tongue:

Id be willing to sell outside the "BAY" because not everyone has an ebay account and basically anyone from B&B I thrust and feel comfortable by.

But right now id do some thru the bay to get some feedback going right now my feedback is too low to set up some BIN auctions thats annoying so I need some sales to get past 5 feedback scores or like buy somethings myself so I get past 5.

Yeah, I am one of those people who stock up in case of a nuclear war. I keep lots of the important things stashed away: razor blades, good scotch, etc. But seriously, I would think that you will always be able to get DE blades. They may wax and wain in terms if their scarcity, but they will alwayd be out there. They will be making them long after they make the last VHS tape, I'm sure.

Top Bottom