What's new

Blade recycling..too good to be true?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
F18B4B92-34D5-4546-83AC-DA6C20263D9C.jpeg

My blades go in one of these money boxes and eventually will get tossed out. Whether the blades are recyclable depends on who does your recycling in my area. I was going to use the sharps container at my work but the people that were picking up the sharps container said no. For some reason they will take away our used carton cutter blades but they won’t touch razor blades. I am assuming that is because razor blades are for personal use and the carton cutter blades are classed as industrial.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If my condo association allowed pets I would have jumped on an opportunity to get a German Shepherd/Rottweiler mix about 4-5 years ago
Rotties are great dogs as are shepards. Much more likely to dig the hole for you than a mastiff! :laugh:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
View attachment 1304495
My blades go in one of these money boxes and eventually will get tossed out. Whether the blades are recyclable depends on who does your recycling in my area. I was going to use the sharps container at my work but the people that were picking up the sharps container said no. For some reason they will take away our used carton cutter blades but they won’t touch razor blades. I am assuming that is because razor blades are for personal use and the carton cutter blades are classed as industrial.
Probably some regulation regarding possible blood bourne pathogens.

Probably one of the reasons for the “no pets” rule (along with concerns about people cleaning up the poop and noise) at my condo association. With that breed mix a dog park and obedience training would be a must if they allowed pets at where I live. And for some reason I get along with most dog breeds but have had issues with German Shepherds 😕

Feather provides the perfect solution within the packaging of the blades themselves. Once they go in the back of the pack you’ll have a hell of a time ever getting them out. It’s good to see a responsible manufacturer that considers the safety of its products at all stages of the product lifecycle. They do a similar thing with their AC blades.

31AE26CB-C9FE-4501-8C9C-0844FEC391E3.jpeg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think there's no solution that comes without issues, you just need to be moderately considerate and do the best you can.
I agree that a dulled blade is likely no more inherently dangerous than a can lid or a dozen other forms of scrap that are disposed of regularly, but the "idea" that it's a razor blade somehow raises the bar on acceptable disposal.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Feather provides the perfect solution within the packaging of the blades themselves. Once they go in the back of the pack you’ll have a hell of a time ever getting them out. It’s good to see a responsible manufacturer that considers the safety of its products at all stages of the product lifecycle. They do a similar thing with their AC blades.

View attachment 1304505
Except the plastic.
I think there's no solution that comes without issues, you just need to be moderately considerate and do the best you can.
I agree that a dulled blade is likely no more inherently dangerous than a can lid or a dozen other forms of scrap that are disposed of regularly, but the "idea" that it's a razor blade somehow raises the bar on acceptable disposal.
Agreed. I recycle a lot. But I won’t wash out pet food cans so I have my limits. Any food left in recycling attracts animals who then trash our garbage and then yours truly is in clean up duty. So I have some limits on recycling. As for razor blades I’m not going to sweat that. And like you said they will decompose in the land fill. (Hopefully)

When I'm done with a blade I just break it in half, wrap it with a small piece of toilet paper & toss it in the garbage.

I have been putting them into Altoids Smalls containers, and then, when the containers are full, closing them up and placing the whole thing into the recycling. I'm guessing, from other posts in this thread, they are not getting recycled when I do this?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Most "single-stream" recycling separation -- your curbside recycling bin, in other words -- won't take stainless razor blades. Scrap metal recyclers will, but of course ask. Burying them in soil will allow them to eventually rust away, depending on soil moisture and acidity. Where I live that's not gonna happen. Too dry here. We have old cars and equipment out in the bush still in pretty good shape after 100 years.

One very small point for those who wish to bury blades or other "debitage:" toss a few small-denomination coins in with them. That way, if someone unearths them in the future, the presence of modern coins in the layer will help establish that it's not a historical site.

Personally, I just put them in an old prescription bottle. It's taken me three years so far to almost fill one. When it's done I'll tape it up and toss it in the trash.

O.H.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Most "single-stream" recycling separation -- your curbside recycling bin, in other words -- won't take stainless razor blades. Scrap metal recyclers will, but of course ask. Burying them in soil will allow them to eventually rust away, depending on soil moisture and acidity. Where I live that's not gonna happen. Too dry here. We have old cars and equipment out in the bush still in pretty good shape after 100 years.

One very small point for those who wish to bury blades or other "debitage:" toss a few small-denomination coins in with them. That way, if someone unearths them in the future, the presence of modern coins in the layer will help establish that it's not a historical site.

Personally, I just put them in an old prescription bottle. It's taken me three years so far to almost fill one. When it's done I'll tape it up and toss it in the trash.

O.H.
I’ve been told that putting inappropriate stuff on the single stream will then void the whole batch or truck. And then it all goes to the landfill.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
A vast majority of what people put in the recycle bin goes to landfill anyway.

There really isn't a market for anything other than clean corrugated cardboard, newspaper, tin and soda cans, and clean plastic such as milk jugs.

Glass, easily the most useful recyclable has a majority sent to landfill because current recycling methods don't prevent breakage, and broken glass is useless to most recyclers. A huge portion of glass put in curbside bins goes to landfill.

China has banned import of recycled plastic from other countries. China has restricted all other imports to less than 0.5% impurity. That's 99.5% pure. Nobody can do that, it's currently impossible. As a result, more waste is produced than can be sold to buyers, and because of that stuff from curbside recycle gets stockpiled and then gets shipped off to landfill.

Trash removal companies and local governments don't want to tell the public that officially, because they fear that if they "turn off" the recycling groove we have all been conditioned to respond to, it would be difficult to "turn back on".

It is easier for them to quietly send the contents of blue bins to the landfill than talk about it and risk a ramp down that couldn't be restarted if a path forward is found in the future.

This information is all just a few clicks away on any search engine on the internet if anyone is interested in further reading.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
A vast majority of what people put in the recycle bin goes to landfill anyway.

There really isn't a market for anything other than clean corrugated cardboard, newspaper, tin and soda cans, and clean plastic such as milk jugs.

Glass, easily the most useful recyclable has a majority sent to landfill because current recycling methods don't prevent breakage, and broken glass is useless to most recyclers. A huge portion of glass put in curbside bins goes to landfill.

China has banned import of recycled plastic from other countries. China has restricted all other imports to less than 0.5% impurity. That's 99.5% pure. Nobody can do that, it's currently impossible. As a result, more waste is produced than can be sold to buyers, and because of that stuff from curbside recycle gets stockpiled and then gets shipped off to landfill.

Trash removal companies and local governments don't want to tell the public that officially, because they fear that if they "turn off" the recycling groove we have all been conditioned to respond to, it would be difficult to "turn back on".

It is easier for them to quietly send the contents of blue bins to the landfill than talk about it and risk a ramp down that couldn't be restarted if a path forward is found in the future.

This information is all just a few clicks away on any search engine on the internet if anyone is interested in further reading.
On the one hand that’s depressing. On the other I’m ok throwing my old de blades in the trash.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
On the one hand that’s depressing. On the other I’m ok throwing my old de blades in the trash.
I think technology improvements will eventually catch up.
Glass collection really needs a makeover to prevent breakage enroute.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
My method of disposing of used blades is to place them is a plastic vitamin jar with a screw-on top. When full (2 years?) I go to a remote spot in my garden with a spade and dig a narrow hole at least 18 inches deep and dump the blades in. I fill the hole with dirt.

I bring the empty plastic jar back into the house and start over again.

I'd be interested in your comments.
Hence, all the worms in the backyard are inch worms. :letterk1:

Actually, in reading everyone’s posts, an idea came to mind. When my razor bank fills, I plan to drop it off at my local urgent care. I know they’d be happy to add it to their sharp wastes, and I’d feel better that no one could get hurt because of my hobby.

View attachment 1304505

That’s hardly a new idea. Back in the early 1970s, the blades I was using were similarly packaged, except the container was steel. Of course, nobody was worried about recycling back then. I don’t remember the brand but it was likely either Schick or Gillette.

Top Bottom