What's new

Blade recommendations?

Hello all

Today was my first shave with a safety razor, and I like it. It was as quick as the Harry's blades and cartridge I used before and on the plus I didn't seem to get minor cuts, usually when I rinsed I had a burning feeling and some small bleed cuts.

Now I got a typical 20$ Weishi long handle safety razor and it came with 5 Feather (the ones with the black background) blades. Now I will need more obviously. I was looking on Amazon and they mostly all come in packs of 100 so I didn't want to try serveral and was wondering what you recommend me?

Also, I was wonering if switching blades after every 4 shave would be a bit overkill? With the price they cost, I guess it does't matter much and defintely get a brad new blade when using it on the private area.

The two Feather packages contain the same blades. Your best bet would be to get a sampling from Tryablade - since everyone's combination of beard/razor/technique is different, we all kinda have to 'bat around' for a while to get the right combo.

Switching every 4 shaves is probably about average for folks around here. Some people do one shave and toss. The Excalibur club people hone their technique to get as many shaves from a blade as possible. I'm a 7-14 shave kinda guy. Depends on a lot of factors - but you should always do what's comfortable & pleasurable for you.

Welcome aboard!

The two Feather packages contain the same blades. Your best bet would be to get a sampling from Tryablade - since everyone's combination of beard/razor/technique is different, we all kinda have to 'bat around' for a while to get the right combo.

Wow that's perfect. There is a budget set that have the derby and astra, the 2 cheaper ones I was looking at.

Astra is a pretty universally accepted blade, derby not so much. The dorco primes are gaining a lot of likes around here as well. Dollar general sells 10 blades for $1 and if they say made in Vietnam they're more than likely dorco 300's which I like a lot but some don't. If the grocer or pharmacy sells blades made in Israel they are more than likely personna reds and are great as well. Your razor is very mild and should do well with most blades.

Astra is a pretty universally accepted blade, derby not so much. The dorco primes are gaining a lot of likes around here as well. Dollar general sells 10 blades for $1 and if they say made in Vietnam they're more than likely dorco 300's which I like a lot but some don't. If the grocer or pharmacy sells blades made in Israel they are more than likely personna reds and are great as well. Your razor is very mild and should do well with most blades.

Ok thanks for the reply. Dorco can't get them here on Amazon. Mainly on Amazon there is Feather, Astra super plat, Derby Extra, Shark super stainless and some Gillettes.

It's crazy how many different blades they are and then even from one brand there is stainlesss and stainless platinum coated.

Switching every 4 shaves is probably about average for folks around here. Some people do one shave and toss. The Excalibur club people hone their technique to get as many shaves from a blade as possible. I'm a 7-14 shave kinda guy. Depends on a lot of factors - but you should always do what's comfortable & pleasurable for you.

Welcome aboard!

Yeah well I planned on doing that to use them every 4 or 3 shave, tear of a corner of the blade wrapper everytime I use it since I usually forget how many times I shaved with the blade, I really don't shave a lot. Maybe once per 2 to 3 weeks.

Since I like the feather I might get them it's just it's expensive a bit IMO, they're 35$ CAD for 100 which would still come to 0.09$ a shave if I use them 3 to 4 times lol, it's still pretty damn inexpensive when I think about it... wow uh.

There you go . . . happy shaving!

Thanks!

Blades are a very personal item of preference. My recommendation is to NOT pay attention to what I or others may recommend but try some blades yourself and judge for yourself. Try a sampler and see what works for you. Just keep in mind, there is NO universally loved blade. You will find some who claim the Merkur blade is terrible and then another person likes it. You will find some who think Astra is the holy grail and others like me who think they are just OK. I could go on with each blade. Try a number - and remember 6 months or a year later your opinion will change when you get more experience.

The same thing holds true with blade longevity. It depends on your beard, the razor you use, and each blade.

There you go . . . happy shaving!

Blades are a very personal item of preference. My recommendation is to NOT pay attention to what I or others may recommend but try some blades yourself and judge for yourself. Try a sampler and see what works for you. Just keep in mind, there is NO universally loved blade. You will find some who claim the Merkur blade is terrible and then another person likes it. You will find some who think Astra is the holy grail and others like me who think they are just OK. I could go on with each blade. Try a number - and remember 6 months or a year later your opinion will change when you get more experience.

The same thing holds true with blade longevity. It depends on your beard, the razor you use, and each blade.

I see. Well then, I suppose I'll just stick with the Feathers, the one that came with for the moment, they gave me a first great shave an I'll see the more it goes.

Astra is a pretty universally accepted blade
Everyone is correct, in that blades are a personal thing, depending on your skin, hair, razor, penchant for blood, etc. But I agree that Astra is a solid recommendation. It's probably the blade that people argue the least about.

But yeah - blade sampler is a nice way to go.

How many uses is a blade good for....again, so many opinions....2 shaves, 4.5 shaves, 17+ shaves
I tend to be a schedule guy. I just replace the blade on Sunday, regardless of how often I bothered to shave during the week. Keeps my life simple. I'm not too worried about wearing out the blade - I'm more concerned about the hygiene.

Welcome to B+B. Continue to hone your technique and shave prep. Your get better with experience and gain confidence in your abilities. Peruse the newbie section for much good advice. Enjoy the journey.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from another Canuk!

Feather are nice blades no question, but yes expensive. Try A Blade is a great place to try many different types of blades.

You mention Derby Extra which is one of my favorite blades, and Astra SP. Those both are good choices and you'll easily notice the differences between them and Feather blades.

Seeing as you're in Canada, have a look here: Deal of the Day – ItalianBarber

The Gillette Nacet is a very nice blade, and the Gillette 7 O'Clock Green is one of the smoothest blades I've ever used.

You might also try Polsilver SI. Seeing as you use a Wieshi, which is a mild razor as I understand it and have already used Feather blades, Polsilver are a very sharp and very smooth blade. I got my 200 on ebay and had them to my door in London Ontario in 2 weeks to the day from this seller: 100 POLSILVER SUPER IRIDIUM DE BLADES PRIORITY SHIPPING WITH TRACKING | eBay

Shipping was $4.25CAD for the 200.

Another store to check, and another excellent blade is this one: Super-Max Super Blue Diamond Platinum

That blade is tied for 1st place for me with Polsilver SI.

Being a UK site, the shipping to Canada is very reasonable and fast. The prices are also very good. $16.50CAD per 100 shipped for the above blade.

Last edited:
If the op is only shaving every 2-3 weeks and likes feathers a ten pack would last him a year at least. When you shave every day Feathers can be a bit pricey but in his case there's no issue.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
$24.25 right?...otherwise I'm wondering why you get the preferred pricing :)

My price when I got them for 200:

ORDER TOTAL
C $38.09
+ C $4.57
shipping

That was on:

ORDER DATE
Apr 09, 2017

His price today is $14.45USD or $18.33CAD per 100, plus shipping.

Welcome aboard!

As you can see, blades are likely the most YMMV thing in traditional shaving.

The main thing is to have fun and enjoy your shaves!

Top Bottom