What's new

Blade Recommendations for Mild Razors

You've got a good selection already. Remember, your technique is more important then the equipment, as long as the equipment is decent. It does not have to be the best to get good results. You will be able to get good results with many different blades.

I'll include a few outliers that have not been mentioned along with some favorites. This list is in no particular order.

Sharper:
BIC Chrome Platinum
Nacet
Perma-Sharp Super
Gillette 7 O'clock Black

Sharp:
Personna Med Prep & Lab Blue
Treet 7 Days
Treet Dura Sharp (coated carbon steel)
Sharp Titanium & LOI Titanium (similar)
Gillette Platinum
Gillette London Bridge
German Personna
Dorco Prime
Lord Silver Star
Super Max Blue Diamond Titanium & Platinum
Astra SS (blue)

I'll have to say that I disagree with it ( but understand why you're saying that).

Explanation...

When I was with my ex girlfriend. I introduced her to wetshaving, but she didn't care at all for all these informations and comparison and everything in between. She wanted to use a mild razor because she was scared of cutting herself at first. I let her tried 3 mild razors I had and she decided to use the one she preferred the most.

To come back to why I disagree... I always haved her used Feather blade and Feather only. Depending on how she felt the shave was going, she was telling me if it was time to change the blade or not.

Years prior, I had bought a sampler pack of blades to try a bunch of variety ( Voshkod, Ladas, Derby, Nacet etc .. ). Since I didn't like those blade, they were put aside by me. One day I decided to pass them by letting my ex girlfriend use them.

I've put a brand new derby blade in it (of course she didnt knew about it)... after 3 or 4 stroke she was yelling my name because "that #@*%& blade need to be changed"...

It was the same result for quite a lot of variety of blades as I've tried to pass other type of blade hoping that it would be ok, but it wasn't. It's like that even though she didn't even know the blade I used to use for her was marked Feather, she clearly preferred these one for her to shave with.
That is a great observation with your ex. She was the blind tester in the experiment and seemed to prefer the Feather over a new blade even after using the Feather more than once. Interesting indeed!!

Thanks very much all for the recommendations and for putting me on the right track. I'll likely give the ones that have been recommended from my list a go first before picking up any more. There seem to be quite a few that I already have that should pair well and my wallet will be thankful as well. :lol:

Treet Durasharp works well in my Rockwell 6s with the #2 plate, which is very mild.

When I went through my sampler, I found that in general platinum coated blades were much less efficient than regular stainless/carbon steel. Personna Platinum Chrome was the lone exception.

Derby Premium or Rapira Platinum Lux work great in mild razors (i use them in a Rockwell 6C plate 4) and get between 7 and 10 good shaves out of them.
They work in my Razorock German 37 slant too, nice blades for me. But of course YMMV ...

Oh yes, SuperMax Super Stainless work great too in mild razors for me.

Just to keep it on the safe side of YMMV disclaimer, my mild-razor is Muhle R89 and although I find almost any blade works in it quite well, I'll try to give them in some rank of preference with pros & cons why I like them. I'll use CostPerShaveFactor (cpsf) indexed in my purchasing price so you can compare them as well. Order is by my personal preference.

1. Perma-Sharp (good value for price, I've acquired ~300 of them, last for consistent 6-8 shaves or until I recall to change them, never had any issues with them and I don't miss good discount to stock them) [cpsf = 1.875]
  2. Persona Platinum (Israely or German, it's not labeled however but I'll post images below so you can identify them) - very smooth, up to 6 wonderful shaves, had only a sample pack as they are not so easily to purchase at my suppliers and shipp. cost overrun the benefits of it, but it's side-by-side with Perma-Sharp's no doubt. [cpsf = 2.9]
  3. Astra Superior Platinum (green) - personal feel is that blade material is bit more thicker and the blade is a rigid a bit, and I don't mind that, it feels great and confident when you have that "strong blade" feel, however longevity is not on top but neither is the price. For the price - it's a well 3-4 shaves, no mistakes. Very affordable and easy to obtain, so I got ~400 of them :D [cpsf = 2.5]
  4. BIC Chrome Platinum - nice, sharp, not so convenient to obtain, but works just fine. Bit more pricey compared to Astra's and not so much longevity to justify the cost. Still - I like to get them when I find them, also works well in more agressive razors but it's another topic. [cpsf = 3.4]
  5. Wilkinson Black (Germany made) - huh, I still own lots of tucks... and I've used them for a long, long time, can't argue with performance or quality, works nice, still price-wise it's not as much justified compared to other blades. [cpsf = 5]
Honourable mentions (based on sample packs):
  • Treet Classic - very nice and sharp, smooth as well, didn't rust in R89 but did in Fatip OC. I enjoyed carbon steel for a change and would recommend if you'd toss blade after 1-2 shaves, otherwise - nice for try only
  • Derby Extra - just for the shipp. cost not the best option for me and not the best option for already mild razors, still - highly recommend them as nice, smooth, on the cheaper side, good for agressive razors as well, just - for a mild razor there are better options. Don't hesitate to use them if you have sensitive skin though.
  • Muhle blades - for R89 it was magnificent pair-up, [cpsf = 4.8] unfortunatelly as they are not widely available but comes in a pack of 10s, and I do keep them for special occasions :)
  • Gillette Platinum - huh, guess I dislike them as they were the only option for myself for too long. Can't argue on quality, works nice, but sometimes are too expensive for a 5pack and I just like other much more. Still got 4-5 packs to use.
*cpsf = (purchasing price for pack/number of blades in pack)/(number of shaves per blade)

1653384258606.jpg

Lots of good selections are already noted above, but I didn't see King C Gillette blades mentioned. The KCG blades have worked very well for me in mild razors- Techs, RR Lupo AL, and a few others. The KCG also works well for me in more aggressive razors. Blades have exhibited very good sharpness and great smoothness, essentially what I prefer/seek in a DE blade.

The two downsides to KCG are the high price and a lot of packaging, although it's cardboard packaging, as opposed to plastic packaging.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm relatively new to DE shaving and I've tried a combination of blades and razors. I've found that my preference seems to be using mild razors such as the Gillette Tech and the Feather Popular, paired with a sharp blade such as a Feather.

With this in mind, I'm looking for recommendations on which blades I should try next, i.e. sharp blades that pair well with mild razors. For reference, these are all of the blades I've tried so far, ranked highest to lowest:
  1. Feather
  2. Gillette Silver Blue
  3. Astra SP
  4. Gillette 7 O'Clock Greens
  5. Derby Extra
As well as the above, I've already bought these blades to sample. Please recommend others, even if they're not listed:
  1. Bic Chrome Platinum
  2. Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows
  3. Gillette Minora
  4. Gillette Nacet
  5. Gillette Perma-sharp
  6. Gillette Rubie
  7. Kai SS
  8. Lord Platinum
  9. Personna Platinum
  10. Rapira Platinum Lux
  11. Rapira Swedish Supersteel
  12. Shark Super Stainless
  13. Tiger Platinum
  14. Vokshod
  15. Wilkinson Sword
I know "YMMV", I'm just looking for an idea of where to start given my preferences. Any help much appreciated! :thumbup:
Feather
Kai
Perma-Sharp
:)

I'll toss out some suggestions I haven't seen yet.

Lord Silver Star
Astra Superior Stainless ( a tad better to me than the Astra Superior Platinums )
LOI Titaniums or Sharp Titaniums ( I am almost 100% convinced these are the same blades just packaged differently )
Gillette Wilkinson Sword ( there are two versions - Chinese and Indian - I give a nudge to the Indian manufactured ones )

The Lord Silver Star for my face in a mild razor gets ridiculously close to a Bic disposable in terms of comfort and efficiency. It almost shaves on automatic.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'll toss out some suggestions I haven't seen yet.

Lord Silver Star
Astra Superior Stainless ( a tad better to me than the Astra Superior Platinums )
LOI Titaniums or Sharp Titaniums ( I am almost 100% convinced these are the same blades just packaged differently )
Gillette Wilkinson Sword ( there are two versions - Chinese and Indian - I give a nudge to the Indian manufactured ones )

The Lord Silver Star for my face in a mild razor gets ridiculously close to a Bic disposable in terms of comfort and efficiency. It almost shaves on automatic.
I'm 99.9999% certain that you are the gent on here that sent me those Lord Silver Star blades....

Honestly, they are as good as a GSB, or Astra SS... and I doubt I could tell the difference between the 3 if my lovely assistant, the War Department, were to load the razor for me with a brand new blade.

Wonder what those Silver Stars are going for now?

I'm 99.9999% certain that you are the gent on here that sent me those Lord Silver Star blades....

Honestly, they are as good as a GSB, or Astra SS... and I doubt I could tell the difference between the 3 if my lovely assistant, the War Department, were to load the razor for me with a brand new blade.

Wonder what those Silver Stars are going for now?
The last 100 pack I got from the South American River Company was $8. That’s a ridiculous bargain so I have a few hundred of them now.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Bic Astor
Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (black)
Timor Stainless Steel
Astra Stainless Steel
Gillette Wilkinson Sword
Sharp Titanium
Lord Silver Star

We all seem to have a tendency to jump around from blade to blade too frequently. I found it best to pick a brand of blade, then shave with it until you get what you consider the best shave available. Then move on to another brand. I accellerated the selection process by using one blade on the left side of my face, and another blade brand on the right. I've done this for many years, and lately have been using the same blade selection in different razors every day. So far, lately I've gotten excellent shaves from all my choices of razors (vintage Gillettes).

Derby Extra (Green) and Rapira red white blue. Rapira seemed almost dull when I started using these, now I can get 5 shaves from them and they are all great consistent shaves. Derby for me are a lot better and I like green, not the black Premiums. I use the Derby in shavettes and they are every bit as good though the sharpness makes it a lot more controllable.

I've had good results with Feather blades and with Treet Platinum blades in my mild razors. I've also has good results with double shimming my mild Muhle R89 when loaded with a Personna Lab Blue.

I started a thread recently regarding a Weidi razor, which I considered very mild. I was using a Derby Extra. Recently I wanted a mild shave, so I picked up the Weidi and put in a Rapira blade which had just arrived in the post. I drew blood, and decided the razor was not mild. It's all about the combination of razor and blade and technique.
With hindsight, I don't think an extra mild razor is a good idea. It limits your choice of blade to the expensive ones.
I would recommend a mainstream razor, not super mild, not aggressive, such as either of the two cheapest Razorock, an Edwin Jagger DE89 or a Merkur 33C. They are popular for good reason. Then find a blade that suits it and you.
A lot of us here have wasted an enormous amount of time and money buying 50 razors and 50 brands of blades, trying out the mind-boggling combinations. I won't go into the soaps, creams, brushes rabbit hole.

You asked for opinions so here goes...

Try the Nacet last. You will either love it or hate it. But if you do try it early and love it, then you will ask yourself why you bother with other blades.
That was my experience. Once I tried the Nacet I regretted at least one of my blade choices ( Voskhod ).

Top Bottom