What's new

Blade positioning Merkur 34C HD

Try other blades, the dimensions aren't totally uniform, of course neither are razors. The Bolzano blades seems to have the smallest holes, the Kai and Feathers some of the larger, and Gillette blades in between.

Hello gents

I like to shave with my Merkur 34C HD combined with Feather Blades. But one thing I've been noticing, is that I have to manually place the blade correctly after it's been dropped in the razor. I mean, I have to make sure that the blade is parallel to the razorhead and sticks out equally at both sides.

Is this normal for any type of DE razor?

If not, I would like to get another razor which basically shaves the same and has the same small formfactor. It's very nimble to move around.

Cheers
The blade - when inserted - has a little bit of give around the cut-outs along the center for easier loading and removing. Since it is virtually impossible to hold the razor top 100 % in balance so you can center the blade perfectly, the blade will always be a little bit more exposed on one side than the other. This is normal and will happen to basically every safety razor.

If you feel that one side is more agressive than the other, try loading the razor with the blade tipping it towards the less agressive side while closing it, so the more agressive side should become less so.

Merkur uses a three post design. This is based on the original Gillette Old Type design where the first DE blades had three holes and that was it. The advent of the Gillette New Type an alignment bar was added to the base plate and a bar shaped slot on the blade connecting the three holes. The New's also have corner tabs on the top cap. They are made for the modern blade design and alignment.

On the old three post design razors you can still use the modern blade as they still have the three holes to go over the three posts on the razor.

Due to variances in blade manufacturing the three holes are not necessarily uniform to all blades, or there is simply play between the posts and the blade.

I always check my blade alignment on all my three post design razors including my Muhle's as they can be off too. It's something that just comes with the territory to some degree or the other. I for one do not mind the three post design, and as long as the blade will align I'm good.

Mostly I just drop the bade on the top cap and place the base plate over and tighten. More often than not it aligns. If not I either re-drop the blade and try again, or use the tabs on each end of the razor blade to align manually.

Great description!!:a14::a14:

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Before the top cap is tightened down, with just a little room remaining until it's secure, press one of the exposed tabs into the centre of the cap to self-centre the blade. There should be just as much play parallel to the edge as perpendicular to the edge, so rather than trying to get it just right by eye perpendicular to the edge, simple push it in parallel to the edge to let the diamond shaped holes in the blade self-centre on the posts.

I'm not familiar with the 34c per se, so it's possible that the centre post is too close a fit around the centre hole to allow this. However, if you are able to move the blade around at all this suggests that my methods should work. At the very least it will centre on the centre post and make adjustment much simpler, pivoting around the centre post.
This aligning method works fine with the 34C.

B

Barney14

I got rid of my 34C for this reason, bad or outdated design, shouldn't have to mess about with blades like that.

Gillette got it right with the Tech donkeys years ago.

Each is a little different, but I press the blade in by the exposed tab to locate it on the bullets. Seems to work fine. The diamonds shapes holes self centre.

This process of pressing on the end tab on the blade works fine. It's a reflex now. Just apply a little pressure to the tab and tighten. This is a good process for all DE razors. It is the reason for the triangle shaped holes in the blade.
MM897

Last edited:
I got rid of my 34C for this reason, bad or outdated design, shouldn't have to mess about with blades like that.

Gillette got it right with the Tech donkeys years ago.
Well, a whole lot of people still love the 34C, though ymmv of course. FWIW, my Gillette Old Type leaves the blade with a lot more wiggle room than any modern razor I've tried, including the 34C, and many like the Old Type too. My issues with the 34C are that it is prone to blade chatter and the handle is too slippery. But no doubt many will disagree with me on both points.

M

Member 113878

My issues with the 34C are that it is prone to blade chatter and the handle is too slippery.
My native language being french, I don't understand what you meant by blade chatter.
Lack of rigidity? Else?
Thanks! :)

Same issue with that razor. I put in the blade and partially screw on the head. Then i suspend the razor by holding the blade tabs and tighten it. Goes on straight every time

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Before the top cap is tightened down, with just a little room remaining until it's secure, press one of the exposed tabs into the centre of the cap to self-centre the blade. There should be just as much play parallel to the edge as perpendicular to the edge, so rather than trying to get it just right by eye perpendicular to the edge, simple push it in parallel to the edge to let the diamond shaped holes in the blade self-centre on the posts.

I'm not familiar with the 34c per se, so it's possible that the centre post is too close a fit around the centre hole to allow this. However, if you are able to move the blade around at all this suggests that my methods should work. At the very least it will centre on the centre post and make adjustment much simpler, pivoting around the centre post.

And now it's 2019... As the OP I've got to thank you. This was perfect advice. I've been happily shaving away with my 34C ever since that advice. Thanks!

What a tragedy so few people know of this method to align the blade.

Ingenious design, bad marketing. I wonder why manufacturers don't include this tip in a booklet with their razors.

Hello gents

I like to shave with my Merkur 34C HD combined with Feather Blades. But one thing I've been noticing, is that I have to manually place the blade correctly after it's been dropped in the razor. I mean, I have to make sure that the blade is parallel to the razorhead and sticks out equally at both sides.

Is this normal for any type of DE razor?

If not, I would like to get another razor which basically shaves the same and has the same small formfactor. It's very nimble to move around.

Cheers
Never had this problem with my 34C. Blade alignment is always perfect no matter what blade I use. I found no need to adjust the blade position before tightening. Maybe I'm one of them lucky ones. I've seen YouTube videos where Nick Shaves had to make some adjustments when loading a blade. It's a very minor thing. Doesn't take any effort to align the blade perfectly. I usually have to do this when using my Edwin Jagger DE89. No such issues with my 34C.
proxy.php

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Never had this problem with my 34C. Blade alignment is always perfect no matter what blade I use. I found no need to adjust the blade position before tightening. Maybe I'm one of them lucky ones. I've seen YouTube videos where Nick Shaves had to make some adjustments when loading a blade. It's a very minor thing. Doesn't take any effort to align the blade perfectly. I usually have to do this when using my Edwin Jagger DE89. No such issues with my 34C.
proxy.php

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk
Same here. The blade has a little bit of jiggle in my 34C before the cap is screwed down, but it isn't so loose that you have to worry about a crooked alignment. It's a great razor all around. For me the only drawback is the zamak or zinc alloy cap and baseplate. I take good care of mine and make sure it's clean and dry after each use, but still one corner of the base plate got flattened out when it knocked against a sink or faucet. No loss of function yet, but given the softness of zinc, i'd be happy to get 5 years of constant daily use out of one. Still a definite thumbs up.

both my 34c and 37c had sloppy blade control. had to place the blade and essentially hang the razor upside down while tightening to get it aligned. I use a Timeless now and have zero alignment issues without any special handling....granted... apples and oranges comparison but make no mistake... there's a difference between them in a number of ways.

both my 34c and 37c had sloppy blade control. had to place the blade and essentially hang the razor upside down while tightening to get it aligned. I use a Timeless now and have zero alignment issues without any special handling....granted... apples and oranges comparison but make no mistake... there's a difference between them in a number of ways.
I always tightened mine upside down and never had an alignment issue. It's possible one side was slightly more exposed, the 34C is hardly the last word in precision, but that never seemed to cause a major problem for me, either. My 1920s vintage Gillette Old Type has vastly more blade play than the 34C, and it's worth looking each time to make sure the blade is aligned. But even that isn't a fatal flaw. True, I now have some steel razors such as the RazoRock GC where the blade fits with zero play so alignment is always exactly the same, and that is a nice feature.

Top Bottom