What's new

Blade positioning Merkur 34C HD

Hello gents

I like to shave with my Merkur 34C HD combined with Feather Blades. But one thing I've been noticing, is that I have to manually place the blade correctly after it's been dropped in the razor. I mean, I have to make sure that the blade is parallel to the razorhead and sticks out equally at both sides.

Is this normal for any type of DE razor?

If not, I would like to get another razor which basically shaves the same and has the same small formfactor. It's very nimble to move around.

Cheers

Each is a little different, but I press the blade in by the exposed tab to locate it on the bullets. Seems to work fine. The diamonds shapes holes self centre.

Thanks for replying TheKman.

I don't really understand your reply, maybe I misunderstand you.

I know I can locate them on the bullets by fingers, but that's my point. I don't like that the location of the blade is up to my finger finesse and my eyes.

"The diamonds shapes holes self centre."
?
I see no diamond shapes anywhere...

Cheers

I see no diamond shapes anywhere...

In the blade. The holes that go over the bullet posts.

I have a tiny bit of play in my Merkur 34C, for the tab exposure. But the cutting edge seems fine. If you have a lot of slop in how the blade sits, there is something wrong with the razor. If you are just obsessive/compulsive about the blade exposure...that's you.

Thanks for replying Dog Whiskerer.

Allright, I am willing to call the holes diamond shaped... Haha.

I am not talking about the tabs. Just the cutting edge. That's where the play is. I have to be very careful when assemblying, or else 2 things can happen: The cutting edges won't be exposed equally on both sides, and/or the cutting edges won't sit parallel to the razorhead.

I have just testet this with a Mühle razor. No play can happen here when assemblying the razor with a blade.

Cheers

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I just checked my Merkur HD to see what happens. If I just drop the blade on the head there is some play but once I put the parts together everything lined up without me doing anything. Just drop blade on, put handle and base over the spindle and tighten it down. I tested it was about a half dozen old used blades but regardless of brand they all behaved the same.

If yours is not lining up contact the seller. It's very possible you have one that was not quite up to standard.

For the record. I'm talking about the ease of assemblying. I could live with that I have to be careful when I'm assemblying the 34C, but it's just so much nicer assemblying my Mühle razor, when it just works.

I just want to know if it's normal to have to be careful when assemblying, and if so, I'd love to know of alternatives to the 34C, that shaves similar and has the same small size.

Cheers

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I just want to know if it's normal to have to be careful when assemblying, and if so, I'd like a know of alternatives where the 34C, and if so, I'd love to know alteratives that shaves similar and has the same small size.

Cheers

Try an old Gillette Tech.

I just checked my Merkur HD to see what happens. If I just drop the blade on the head there is some play but once I put the parts together everything lined up without me doing anything. Just drop blade on, put handle and base over the spindle and tighten it down. I tested it was about a half dozen old used blades but regardless of brand they all behaved the same.

If yours is not lining up contact the seller. It's very possible you have one that was not quite up to standard.

Thanks Jar, very helpfull! I'll contact the seller...

I am not talking about the tabs. Just the cutting edge. That's where the play is. I have to be very careful when assemblying, or else 2 things can happen: The cutting edges won't be exposed equally on both sides, and/or the cutting edges won't sit parallel to the razorhead.
You appear to be saying the locating pins (bullet posts) are under size causing slackness in blade location. This is not common in the Merkur 34C so maybe refer it to your vendor as a defect.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Merkur uses a three post design. This is based on the original Gillette Old Type design where the first DE blades had three holes and that was it. The advent of the Gillette New Type an alignment bar was added to the base plate and a bar shaped slot on the blade connecting the three holes. The New's also have corner tabs on the top cap. They are made for the modern blade design and alignment.

On the old three post design razors you can still use the modern blade as they still have the three holes to go over the three posts on the razor.

Due to variances in blade manufacturing the three holes are not necessarily uniform to all blades, or there is simply play between the posts and the blade.

I always check my blade alignment on all my three post design razors including my Muhle's as they can be off too. It's something that just comes with the territory to some degree or the other. I for one do not mind the three post design, and as long as the blade will align I'm good.

Mostly I just drop the bade on the top cap and place the base plate over and tighten. More often than not it aligns. If not I either re-drop the blade and try again, or use the tabs on each end of the razor blade to align manually.

Merkur uses a three post design. This is based on the original Gillette Old Type design where the first DE blades had three holes and that was it. The advent of the Gillette New Type an alignment bar was added to the base plate and a bar shaped slot on the blade connecting the three holes. The New's also have corner tabs on the top cap. They are made for the modern blade design and alignment.

On the old three post design razors you can still use the modern blade as they still have the three holes to go over the three posts on the razor.

Due to variances in blade manufacturing the three holes are not necessarily uniform to all blades, or there is simply play between the posts and the blade.

I always check my blade alignment on all my three post design razors including my Muhle's as they can be off too. It's something that just comes with the territory to some degree or the other. I for one do not mind the three post design, and as long as the blade will align I'm good.

Mostly I just drop the bade on the top cap and place the base plate over and tighten. More often than not it aligns. If not I either re-drop the blade and try again, or use the tabs on each end of the razor blade to align manually.

Great post, Raven. I would only stress, at the risk of saying the obvious, that the Merkur design does leave a *small* amount of play, which is probably a good thing since all blades are not absolutely and perfectly identical. If I think a blade isn't aligning perfectly when I first tighten it, I just loosen it again, shake it a bit, and tighten it again. That usually does it.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Great post, Raven. I would only stress, at the risk of saying the obvious, that the Merkur design does leave a *small* amount of play, which is probably a good thing since all blades are not absolutely and perfectly identical. If I think a blade isn't aligning perfectly when I first tighten it, I just loosen it again, shake it a bit, and tighten it again.
Thanks Mozartman, I find myself doing that as well, especially on the two piece designs like the 34c. Great advice!

+1 for placing the top cap on the counter, dropping the blade onto that, then lowering the handle/baseplate and tightening...I don't lift up until the blade is snug.

Works every time.

I don't have a good alternative razor suggestion, but I do like my Merkur open comb and use the same technique to center the blade.

You appear to be saying the locating pins (bullet posts) are under size causing slackness in blade location. This is not common in the Merkur 34C so maybe refer it to your vendor as a defect.

+1....I have some DE razors that have some play in the blade positioning, but I never had that problem with my Merkur using a variety of different blades.

My Merkur 34c behaves the same. I sometimes have to manually adjust the blade, not by much, maybe a tenth of a mm. It doesn't bother me too much, since I am using other razors most of the time, and it doesn't really take much time to adjust.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Before the top cap is tightened down, with just a little room remaining until it's secure, press one of the exposed tabs into the centre of the cap to self-centre the blade. There should be just as much play parallel to the edge as perpendicular to the edge, so rather than trying to get it just right by eye perpendicular to the edge, simple push it in parallel to the edge to let the diamond shaped holes in the blade self-centre on the posts.

I'm not familiar with the 34c per se, so it's possible that the centre post is too close a fit around the centre hole to allow this. However, if you are able to move the blade around at all this suggests that my methods should work. At the very least it will centre on the centre post and make adjustment much simpler, pivoting around the centre post.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Before the top cap is tightened down, with just a little room remaining until it's secure, press one of the exposed tabs into the centre of the cap to self-centre the blade. There should be just as much play parallel to the edge as perpendicular to the edge, so rather than trying to get it just right by eye perpendicular to the edge, simple push it in parallel to the edge to let the diamond shaped holes in the blade self-centre on the posts.

Holy pooh flinging Batman. I never thought to try this, but it should work awesome.

Top Bottom