What's new

Blade poll: feather vs kai

I know blades are very subjective but just curious: which do you prefer? And bonus question: which razor do you prefer them in?

I love feather blades, especially in my Rex ambassador. I'm looking at buying Kai blades

- Fayiz D.

feather, recently bought a tuck of kais. Can't fault it, but the wow effect is missing. for me it isn't that sharp, in fact it feels struggling. note: I like/use sharp blades. feather, permasharp, etc...
I'll retry permasharp. I tried a couple and wasn't impressed. Seemed sharp but edgy, rather than sharp and smooth like feathers

- Fayiz D.

I did give the Kai blades a try after seeing a recommendation from someone that if one liked a Feather blade they might also like the Kai blades - but I was left a bit disappointed, to be honest. I haven't yet found anything that performs like a Feather for my beard and skin. Mild or aggressive, neutral or + blade exposure - Feather really does it best for me.

I did give the Kai blades a try after seeing a recommendation from someone that if one liked a Feather blade they might also like the Kai blades - but I was left a bit disappointed, to be honest. I haven't yet found anything that performs like a Feather for my beard and skin. Mild or aggressive, neutral or + blade exposure - Feather really does it best for me.
My top 3 blades (no order)are feather, Wizamet, Nacets. All sharp and smooth but I agree. Feather are nice.

- Fayiz D.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have both Feather & Kai SS DE blades, both blades are different in a few ways IMO.
The Feather blade is one of the sharpest blades out there as you already know and is good in mild razors to mid range but they lack some longevity and not as smooth as Kai.
Kai SS blade is sharp and Smooth + better longevity, also it is wider than a standard Gillette blade by .009" thousands of a inch or .0045 per side for more blade exposure or blade feel. So if you have a mild razor and want to give it some more boost in efficentcy I use a Kai blade with excellent results. The negative to the Kai blade it is a little pricey but you would get approx 2 times the use so is it really pricey( I get 4-5 shaves with a Feather, Kai 8-10 shaves)!? I would buy a few tucks and try the Kai out before buying a lot of them. That has been my experiences with these two DE blades.

I'll retry permasharp. I tried a couple and wasn't impressed. Seemed sharp but edgy, rather than sharp and smooth like feathers

- Fayiz D.
probably nothing else will feel that sharp 😃 gillette silver blues were 'sharp enough' and smooth for me. also rubie, but that is nowhere in sharpness compared to feathers.
my other favourite is the german wilkinson, much smoother than a feather and reasonably sharp, I use it in the R41 mostly.

Feather, because it is sharper and smoother but most of all cheaper and easily available - can last 6-8 shaves for me
Kai is normal sharpness and smoothness but much more expensive plus difficult to get - can last 5-6 shaves for me

Feathers are amazing blades. kAI is my number 2 but it’s still not a Feather. It’s more forgiving though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
After taking part in the Kai PIF I have to say Kai blades are the blades Feathers wish they were. They are sharper than Feathers out of the box but their strength is that they are smoother and longer lasting than Feathers I managed 14 shaves from a Kai and 3 from a Feather

Top Bottom