What's new

Blade life using open comb.

Do you find that the blade life decreases when using an open comb as opposed to closed comb? Two things to consider: open comb offers more blade exposure, and less forgiven. What is your experience and or opinion?

Not from my experience at least, having tried a plethora of blades in my GNLC & GNSC. Maybe on certain hair types and beard densities and growth ? I'd find that to be the case on more aggressive razors and it could be also subject to technique. But of course that could be said about the solid bar brethren. The major difference between the two being the blade-hair cutting front, as the solids angle the hair in relation to the skin surface. As far as I know, nobody has conducted a thorough study on the matter. Good question !

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I use ASR or Gem SE razors that have both the open comb(Micromatic or MMOC) and I also use the closed comb Gem 1912 models with the Gem SS PTFE blade in both razors over the years & have not noticed any difference in wear. I usually get 10 shaves and then toss the blade but have gotten more shaves but I use averages. The Micromatic holds the blade very firm and shaves well for a mid range razor.
As for DE razors I have not noticed any differences and have lots of open comb and safety bar type razors.
Blades are the cheapest part of traditional wet shaving with DE razors so I would not worry to much about that aspect because it costs about $.02-.04 a shave and that is awesome.

Have not noticed a difference. And don't always assume that open combs have more blade exposure/are less forgiving. Depends on the razor.

Huh. Great question and I never really thought about it. I do tend to bin my blades after 2-3 shaves though but when I used to punish my face and take blades to 8-10 shaves, I never noticed a difference.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I also didn't feel the difference in razorock lupo dc, I used 30 times on one blade.

Two things to consider: open comb offers more blade exposure, and less forgiven. What is your experience and or opinion?
Blade exposure does not change because of the comb as it is related to razor design of the cap in relation to the bar (open or solid). I find no measurable difference in blade life and I use the same number of passes daily.

Yes, I have noticed a difference. Particularly in my R41 and Pearl Open combs. If a blade lasts in other razors, say 4 shaves, I only get 3 in those OC razors. This has been the case for a long time. I mean I have noticed it numerous times for quite a few years. There could be additional factors like how tough your beard is, but in my case the phenomenon is real. Pretty sure there is at least one user on the forum, who has noticed the same thing with OC razors, so NO COnSENsUs :devil:

Other things remaining same, I feel OC does tend to shorten the life of the blade, though not because of more exposure but because the already cut hair tend to get recycled for cutting more easily. The difference is not much.

On the other hand, OC does increase risk of nicking a pimple more easily.

Top Bottom