What's new

Blade life expectancy

So, I just moved to an SE razor last week (ATT SE1). I used to change my DE blade (Feather) every 1-2 shave. I normally shave anywhere from once a week to twice a week. Since DE blades are pretty cheap this is no concern.

In my SE1, I started with the Feather AC professional blade. I have shaved every 3 times with it so far and the last shave (today) definitely did not feel as close as the previous two. The ONLY difference in this shave was that I went from using a Proraso Pre-shave + Proraso Green Soap to using just the Zingari Man Sego Explorer (no Pre Save).

Was curious if the lack of closeness of my shave would be more related to the lack of pre-shave or should I switch blades after every 2 shaves? I also have the Schick AC and Feather Pro Guard blades so will also be testing them out soon.

I do not have an answer for you except to day that I typically get 14 shaves from Schick Injector and GEM Stainless blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not have an answer for you except to day that I typically get 14 shaves from Schick Injector and GEM Stainless blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ahh ok. From all that I had read, most people seem to get 5+ shaves from their AC blades. I do have coarse hair but still seemed like 3 shaves was too few to need to change it. Will try with pre-shave oil or the pre-shave cream before my next shave. Will use the same blade to see if it yields better results.

In times past, I'd always considered preshaves just money-burning BS, but eventually foremulated a Noxzema/Kokum Butter/Avocado blend that seems to make a significant difference on blade longevity. A jar of Walmart Generic Noxzema (Equate), a chunk of Kokum butter & a bottle of Avocado or Olive oil & you're set to make enough to last the rest of your life.

Feather blades last around a good 7 shaves and then a horrible 8th before the bin. Gem blades 4 at the most.

I have to toss away pretty much every DE blade I use after 6 to 7 uses. I am still using a Schick Proline that has 12 uses and a 'Chick' injector blade that has 15 uses.

If I can't get at least 10-12 shaves out of a GEM PTFE, it's a dud. Feather FHS-10s are good for 8-10 for me; Schick injectors - who knows, I can't get to the end before I tire of the razor and move on to another platform, after about 3 weeks on the same blade.

Most DE blades are done after 4 shaves or fewer, with the exception of the Silver Star Super Stainless, which is dependable for at least 6 shaves, sometimes more.

All the input here makes me think that the blade is definitely not at fault. Make me think it was a combination of:

- No pre-shave cream.
- Not enough lather.

Leaning towards the lather. Previous 2 shaves with the same blade I used the Proraso pre-shave cream and the Proraso shave soap. This time I had used the Zingari Man Explorer (Sego base). No issue with the soap but rather I am used to building the lather directly in the Proraso soap bowl. This time I tried face lathering (for the first time) and I think that is where the issue lies.

4th shave today with the same blade. Tried to keep everything as much the same as possible. I am now 99% sure that the poor results of the previous shave (3rd one) were because of the lack of lather.

Apparently I am not very good with building lather in a bowl. However, if I just load up the brush and build face lather, the results are a lot better. I had one of the best shaves I have ever had today. I did still get one weeper but I think that was because of me getting a little over-exuberant and making one pass too many.

The only area that I still struggle with is on the right side of my neck. No matter which direction I got in the razor seems to just skim over the cream. I try to hold my skin taut too but did not seem to help. Outside of that, it was a great shave.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Before you change out your blade, please try your pre-shave again. My last Schick Proline lasted 30-31 shaves before I dropped my razor. My technique is bad; months of too much pressure with SE and DE blades; but it lasted a solid month with blade-killing technique. With good preparation and a less ham-handed approach than mine, your Feather AC pro should last more than three shaves.

Before you change out your blade, please try your pre-shave again. My last Schick Proline lasted 30-31 shaves before I dropped my razor. My technique is bad; months of too much pressure with SE and DE blades; but it lasted a solid month with blade-killing technique. With good preparation and a less ham-handed approach than mine, your Feather AC pro should last more than three shaves.
Thanks for the input. I made a post earlier today but I think part of it was just how I lathered up last time. I don't think there was quite enough lather.

Todays shave was a lot better.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I've gone 20+ shaves on one Feather Pro Super. On shave 10 or so (not really keeping close count) on one. Seems good to go for at least 5 more.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I remember @rabidus once said that he figured one head shave was as hard on a blade as two face shaves. Since I really DO look like my avatar I can't make that comparison, but I will say that I tend to get the following results as a head shaver:

Gem (AccuTek Personna Stainless PTFE Coated): 5 decent shaves, one that reminds me how cheap I am.
DE (Astra Superior Platinum): 5 decent shaves, then "bin it, ya cheapskate!"
SE (Feather ProGuard): 8 or 9 decent shaves, then that last awful one...

I flip blades between uses, though I do not swap DE blades end-for-end as well. Just flip them all. Each shave is just slightly less "edgy" than the last, but the first two are usually really close, then there's a sweet spot for a couple where I get good shaves and don't worry about nicks, then it tails off.

O.H.

Top Bottom