What's new

Blade life and head shaving

Fellow headshavers, what type of blade life do you get when shaving your head?

I just started using my DE to shave my head, and it seems like a blade killer. Normally I bin a blade after 3 face shaves even if there's life left in it, but with a head shave thrown in there it seems like I can barely get to three shaves.

Head shave blade #1: Astra SP with 1 face shave on it. When I used it for face shave #3 (now with 2 face and 1 head shave on it), I got some weepers and irritation. This has never happened with an SP before.

Head shave blade #2: Gillette Platinum with 3 face shaves on it. While shaving my head it still felt sharp with life left in it. I binned it after the head shave.

Head shave blade #3: Croma Diamant with 1 face and 1 head shave. For face shave #2 it was noticeable duller than the first one and gave me some irritation.

Anybody else experience this?

I don’t shave my head, but with the amount of hair on the average head, I can only imagine a blade to handle only 1 shave comfortably. Certain blades may handle 2 shaves because of better edge coating. Preparation of softening the hair and scalp is important.

I’ve generally played it pretty safe and have tossed each blade after two or three head shaves but I haven’t had a real reason to with the exception of a Voskhod that I switched out after 1.5 shaves when it got super tuggy. I really like the way a Nacet mellows out after the first round. I joined the OBIF challenge so I’m looking forward to pushing a Nacet as far as I can. I shave every other day, and only the dome. We’ll see how it goes I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

I shave head and neck below the beard. I bin blades after 3 shaves (4 with Kai). If you are face and head shaving, I would probably one and done them, blades are relatively cheap so no need to push them.

My nephew shaves his head and face with a straight and the head is an edge killer, even though his male pattern baldness is fairly advanced. I think the hairs are more closely packed on the head.

I shave my head and face every other day. One shave session is two shaves. I use half-DE shavettes mainly. One half-blade lasts usually for 16 shaves. And if I use safety razor a full blade last also for 16 shaves. Go figure why!

I just started using my DE to shave my head, and it seems like a blade killer. Normally I bin a blade after 3 face shaves even if there's life left in it, but with a head shave thrown in there it seems like I can barely get to three shaves.

Head shave blade #1: Astra SP with 1 face shave on it. When I used it for face shave #3 (now with 2 face and 1 head shave on it), I got some weepers and irritation. This has never happened with an SP before.

Head shave blade #2: Gillette Platinum with 3 face shaves on it. While shaving my head it still felt sharp with life left in it. I binned it after the head shave.

Head shave blade #3: Croma Diamant with 1 face and 1 head shave. For face shave #2 it was noticeable duller than the first one and gave me some irritation.

I have been face & head shaving since the mid 80’s. The best shave performance for me has been single use Feathers in a Grande.

I usually get 3-4 shaves, but there's no hair on the top of the head and I have a goatee so I don't shave there.

The guy on Refined Shave used each double edge blade on his face and head two times then tossed which sounds like a good middle of the road figure.

I use different razors/Blade combinations for my head and neck shaves.

For my head shaves I can get 5 shaves out of a Permasharp or Wizamet Super Iridium using a RazoRock Lupo Aluminum.

For Gillette Platinums I can get 4 maybe 5 head shaves

Everything else I usually bin after 3 shaves, things like Voskhod or the Astras.

But so far Permasharps and the Iridiums have given me the most longevity

I shave my head daily along with my throat and cheeks. Generally I'm one and done as far as blades are concerned. I've pushed some blades for seven days but I find they start to tug.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead

Astra SP. I've been using them for years. I pretty reliably get six DFS-to-BBS head shaves out of each one. I shave my head three times a week, typically M/W/F but it can vary. That's two weeks out of every blade, and I imagine I could stretch it farther. After a couple of weeks with one razor, though, I'm ready for a change. New razor, new blade. Lather, shave, repeat.

O.H.

I put a fresh Gillette Platinum in my Rockwell tonight that I’ll use just for my head. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

It was a nice no-drama shave, but it was only my fourth ever head shave so it took foreeeeeeverrrrr. Clearly I need more practice.

Interesting. I usually get about 3 combo head/face shaves from blades. Normally use Feather, Nacet, 7 O’Clock. I find the SS blades last longer. I get past the initial SS roughness with a little striping before hand.

But - My best, smoothest, most efficient, fastest, and least painful head shaves are with my carts. Gillette single blade Guard (best shave I’ve ever found regardless of any type), Gillette Sensor, Schick Extreme 3.

Happy Shaving 🙂

Top Bottom