What's new

blade hopping/skipping.

Congrats on your progress! Wetshaving is certainly a learning process, but it's soooo worth it.

When I was in my first month or two I also had skipping/hopping problems. Looking back I believe it was caused by a number of things:

• Blade Angle - This was my biggest issue.
  • Blade Choice - Needed blades that were sharper, smoother, or both. Next to angle, using a better blade was my second biggest imrpovement.
  • Razor grip - I was holding the razor too loosely, compounding my angle issues and confusing this with using 'no pressure'. I later found I could hold the razor more firmly *and* still keep the perssure to a minimum. This made for a respectable difference in the quality of my shaves.
  • Dry Lather on later passes - For me this was less related to skipping, but adding some water (or just leaving it on my face from rinses) did make a big difference on my results.

So hang in there and keep trying, I suspect as you make it through a few weeks you'll find all sorts of little things that help you get the right shave for your face!

I have had good luck with Merkur blades. My problem with them is their price compared to other quality blades. My guess, like others, is that the lather is too dry. I have had a skipping problem even with my Schick injector with a new blade. I added water to the lather and the problem went away. I have not had good luck with oils. Even if I rinse my razor often shaving oils just seem to gum it up.

Burt

In most cutting tools, skipping and grabbing are a sign of either the wrong tool angle or a blunt tool. Try other blades.

Congrats on your progress! Wetshaving is certainly a learning process, but it's soooo worth it.

When I was in my first month or two I also had skipping/hopping problems. Looking back I believe it was caused by a number of things:

• Blade Choice - Needed blades that were sharper, smoother, or both. Next to angle, using a better blade was my second biggest imrpovement.
    [*]Razor grip - I was holding the razor too loosely, compounding my angle issues and confusing this with using 'no pressure'. I later found I could hold the razor more firmly *and* still keep the perssure to a minimum. This made for a respectable difference in the quality of my shaves.
  • Dry Lather on later passes - For me this was less related to skipping, but adding some water (or just leaving it on my face from rinses) did make a big difference on my results.

So hang in there and keep trying, I suspect as you make it through a few weeks you'll find all sorts of little things that help you get the right shave for your face!

That's great advice re. razor grip. I don't know if I missed the memo or what, but I had lots of problems when I started wetshaving due to razor hopping and skipping even on WTG passes. It came down to bad technique holding the razor and confusing "don't use any pressure" with "don't keep a good grip on the razor." Once I started keeping a firm, confident grip on the razor I found I could still use no pressure on my face but keep the razor moving on a consistent path.

• Razor grip - I was holding the razor too loosely, compounding my angle issues and confusing this with using 'no pressure'. I later found I could hold the razor more firmly *and* still keep the perssure to a minimum. This made for a respectable difference in the quality of my shaves.

Ooh, this is interesting information for sure. I think I'm guilty of being too dainty when gripping the razor after reading so many comments saying 'no pressure'. I'm still working on angle and I think I occasionally slip into an angle that is too aggressive. Not so much that I've been cutting myself, but I have had a little bit of soreness afterwards.

- Jim, I went back and reviewed the lathering posts and I think I may have had a bit too much water in the mix. The lather wasn't coming out pasty or creamy enough, but I'm working on it.

I'm really enjoying the learning experience and I find myself being a little impatient for my hair to grow out again :lol:

I haven't dared to go ATG yet, but perhaps spending a little more time working on the lather, blade angle, and trying new blades I'll be able to give it a shot before too long.

Thanks fellas!

-Matt

Top Bottom