What's new

Blade getting dull mid shave

Hey all,

I’ve noticed an interesting thing happening. When I start my shave the blade cuts like butter. However by mid shave I can feel it starting to tug.
Is it possible for the blade to dull itself mid shave? Especially if I have really coarse hair?

Possible it is, however unlikely.

My guess is that at mid shave, you're shaving more difficult parts of your face and you haven't developed the proper technique yet. That's why it feels tuggy. Try adjusting the razor angle of attack, play with it until you feel the optimum angle. Forget the 30° "rule".

Let us know how it goes and good luck!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@icemanjs4 this is not the first time I have heard of this problem on B&B. There are a few things that could be your problem. In no particular order:
  • You are shaving at too great an angle. A too great an angle can dull your edge during a shave. Forget that 30° BS that many on YouTube espouse. The correct angle should be about ½ to 1 spine thickness from the skin. The sharper the blade, the smaller the angle.
  • You blade edge has a fin/wire on it. This breaks off during the shave leaving you with a dull edge. A fin/wire edge is normally coursed by incorrect honing or stropping (less likely).
  • You are shaving with a razor shaped object (RSO) and not a real straight razor. It is common for a RSO to be made of steel that will not hold an edge or its bevel angle is too acute for the steel.
If it is not your shaving angle, send your SR out to be professionally honed by someone recommend on B&B. Knowing your location would help for advice here.

Top Bottom