What's new

Blade gap and exposure

It says it all, small gap and good exposure.
This guy is a genius!
Like a few of us around here, I thought this razor was a joke for years and didn't take it seriously. It is what has completely changed my thinking and preferences and frankly what I thought possible. I wrote something to this affect in the favourite new purchase of 22' thread. On the flip side, the Yates razors demonstrate a similar level of innovation with high gap razors as an alternate to the pricey WR2. And the Green Cult 2.0 in the budget category rounds out three.

Where is this thread?

And the Karve CB plate G, did you try it?

BTW, you never tried the Progress?

Chose Tatara over Karve. Still plan to try Progress eventually, we have a dealer for the Mergress near me.

Hi everyone,
My first post in B&B!
I am based in France and a member of the French forum rasage-traditionnel.com.
I am more and more convinced that blade exposure has ad minima as much impact on the quality of a razor than the gap therefore I have explored how razor makers deal with it.
Many new artisans display the blade exposure and @ShavingByTheNumbers has done a great job at measuring blade exposure on a several razors.
Mechanically, adjustable razors increase the blade exposure together with the blade gap (a geometry thing that is difficult to explain in writing) and it is interesting that the Christopher Bradley has taken the same approach, but the Maurice from Atelier Durdan (Vive la France!) has taken another approach with a constant blade exposure whatever the gap is.
All this is a bit theoretical, the blade angle, for instance, but also the geometry of the head, weight, surface have all an impact on the quality of the shave.
That's obvious to anyone who has used a razor but I just wanted to underline that my analysis here is not meant to have an opinion on a razor based on those two criteria.
However, I understand now why the Greencult V1.0 was way too aggressive for me and we can notice that there are two trends, one around the Gillette Slim and one around the Christopher Bradley (I would love to have more data on other razors!).
Lastly, I have deducted the Merkur Progress and 34C from images I have seen on the forum, beware it's not as accurate as other data.
If there is an appetite for more details, I can display my sources, they are either the website of the razor makers, this website or kickstarter.com for the blackbird.
You can have a direct access to the page here but I display the current graph in this post.
I hope you guys will enjoy this graph and share your data, I'm sure I have missed some.
View attachment 1602398
Hello,
I'm very late to your thread since I just found it last night. But I've already read through it a few times.
Thank you for getting this info on graphs. I for one find it very useful since I truly love the nerdy side of how things work. Threads like these fascinate me! Excellent (easy) guide for decision making on how a razors characteristics might affect how it might shave.
Of course we know that this is still all YMMV (until you actually try the razor yourself) but it's still a great starting point.
I look forward to seeing the list grow!
By the way, a belated "Welcome to B&B"

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just stumbled on this thread a few minutes ago... I read it through.... and don't understand much of it. I'm going to have read it when it isn't so late at night and I can give it my full attention... though I suspect, I still won't grasp it. I do know.. I have some razors that aren't supposed to work based on a few specs. As I've said many times, these razor designers know a lot more than I do.... and I get to enjoy shaving with their masterpieces.

Bienvenue à B&B! I am one of the resident measurement nerds around here and will be having several looks at your post. I did see your other post on an old thread and I am still trying to remember where that chart came from. Your measurement for the Blackbird isn't the agreed upon number, but I am familiar with the source. I don't want to say too much about it as Shane has decided not to publish this anymore. It is mentioned here:

Briefly, one comment I have made in the past is that more blade exposure get's the blade closer to your skin whereas more gap allows your skin to get closer to the blade(but doesn't require it). Hence the high gap/low exposure razors can feel very smooth and non threatening depending on how they are used. Please remember also that all larger gaps are what is called aggressive, they can bite based on the ability of your skin to get bunched up into the gap! Like them or not, the Wolfmen perfectly split the two camps into two different designs to suit each. Then you get into whether a razor is more of a shallow, neutral or steep designed razor and this can effect how these different philosophies are perceived by users. For example, the Blackbird has a reputation for being aggressive due to it's blade exposure. But that isn't correct, it won't bite suddenly, you have to push the edge into your skin! It has blade feel that some of us find useful, others find it's too much.
This makes so much sense to me. Thank you for putting your words in layman’s terms.

I can visualize why I enjoy using my two SE’s:

1912 GEM “squat head “
1924 ER Shovel head

Both are:

-easy to find right shaving angle
-very efficient
-very smooth
-very comfortable
-both have good size blade exposure from what I see

When using, I feel safe like as long as technique is good, nicking is not much of a concern.

Thank you

@Patrice
Veyy nice work. And.. Having a little bit of experience this table ist very useful. Ilat least for me, as it visualizes if a razor suits me. And looking back to many razors I have tried i now know why they didn't fit.
Any updates to come? I'd be interested to see the Rockwell 6s in your coordinate system.

Hi @flash75! Thank you, I have not worked on it since, I have some projects but I'm a bit dispersed... Regarding 6S I would need to have the data but they have not been published or measured. From what I've seen there's a lot of negative exposure from 1 to 3 (if I remember correctly) which makes it a very very mild razor in the low plates section.

Grate to see a comparison like this. However, without taking into account the blade support, blade rigidity, blade angle of attack and head profile, i am really not sure how i would use it if i was to buy a new razor.
I think the Blackbird can really highlight this. This has a unique blade support and head profile, that allows the blade to be stiff in one direction and flexible in the other direction. The head design also guides blade into a optimum angle for you, provided you use it as intended by the designer. If you only combine the blade gap and exposure of this razor without the other design attributes of this razor, you will have a completely different razor, which might not even be a good razor.
I like numbers, but unless you consider the other factors i don't know what to do with it.

I find it useful if you look at a razor like the Karve and the Tatara razors, where you can change plates that give you different gaps and blade exposures, and the head is a constant factor.
The Muramasa is also interesting because it is designed to adjust the gap and blade exposure dynamically. (thanks for pointing this out @Iridian)
When you take the same logic to compare two different razors, just based in these metric, it is no longer an apples and apples comparison.

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The Muramasa is also interesting because it is designed to maintain a constant blade exposure as you adjust the gap.
Actually no, that it changes the exposure is actually what sets it apart from other adjustables that just lower or raise the gap.
1693221482323.png

Awesome compilation of data here! I wish I had found it sooner. One note: As far as I know both the GreenCult v1.0 and v1.1 are single gap/exposure (no plate options). I think only the v2 has the plate options. It seems you have a line going through the v1 data and I'm pretty sure it should just be a point. Unless there was some options for that model I'm not aware of.

Last edited:
Top Bottom