What's new

Blade gap and exposure

@spacemonkey42 Thank you :)
@RJB42 I considered that V1 has two plate options. That's what it is at the end of the day even though the intention of the maker was to replace plate .95 by plate .65.
Thank you @Iridian for your insights. @JPO, there is no adjustable razor that can expand one of those two parameters (exposure, gap) without expanding the other. In other terms, both are correlated. It's because the blade is fixed and the adjustment wheel changes the distance between the blade and the cap (Progress) or the base plate width (Tatara) or the distance between base plate and the blade (Pearl Flexi).
However, a change of base plates such as Rockwell, would allow changing only one parameter. At my knowledge, @Atelier DURDAN is the only razor maker which changes gap without changing exposure.
A very nerdy comment on a nerdy thread, enjoy friends!

Hi @flash75! Thank you, I have not worked on it since, I have some projects but I'm a bit dispersed... Regarding 6S I would need to have the data but they have not been published or measured. From what I've seen there's a lot of negative exposure from 1 to 3 (if I remember correctly) which makes it a very very mild razor in the low plates section.
Hi @Patrice,
Thank you for your reply. What I can say is that the Rockwell to me feels neutral or only slightly negative.
At least less negative than the feather as-d2 and the tatara muramasa on the lower settings.
Your results for the de89 ans the Merkur 34 perfectly match my experiences amd face feel.

All this data is a lot to digest.
I currently have a RR GC .68P its OK but it's still not as good as my Gillette Sensor cartridge shave.
I have 3 more razors on the way, Henson mild and medium and a 1966 Gillette slim adjustable.
Just looking for something that can shave as well and easily as my Sensor. It may end up being a fools errand, but for now I'm willing to keep trying. Hopefully at some point I can get access to the Buy Sell Trade forum so I can more easily find something that works for me, while getting rid of what doesn't.

All this data is a lot to digest.
I currently have a RR GC .68P its OK but it's still not as good as my Gillette Sensor cartridge shave.
I have 3 more razors on the way, Henson mild and medium and a 1966 Gillette slim adjustable.
Just looking for something that can shave as well and easily as my Sensor. It may end up being a fools errand, but for now I'm willing to keep trying. Hopefully at some point I can get access to the Buy Sell Trade forum so I can more easily find something that works for me, while getting rid of what doesn't.
I've never tried cartridge razors since I always used electrics until I got into wet shaving a couple years ago. But I have used disposables for traveling which are similar to carts. One thing I can tell you is that DE & SE razors are a totally different experience from those (I own and have tried tons of them). If you want to try to get something that's close to a Sensor, I'd probably give a try to one of the razors made to partially mimic a cart. Something like the High Proof razor or the One Blade. They have money back guarantees! Just throwing out some other possibilities. As always, YMMV!

Top Bottom