What's new

Blade flipping?

So, the other day, while talking wetshaving in another venue, I made mention that I flip my blade after every use and was promptly told that it was a pointless waste of time. Considering that I open up my razors to remove the blade and dry them out after every shave anyway, I don't see it as any time wasted, but I was wondering if anyone else flips their blade for each shave. To my thinking, just like stropping a straight razor, each side of the cutting edge should get equal attention. Especially considering that the blades we use have coatings of Teflon, platinum, chrome, etc., that wear away a little each time it is used. So, are there any other blade flippers or am I just "wasting my time"?

I break everything down to clean and dry. When I put it back together I flip the blade. I run my blades until they tug, or, loose cutting efficiency. Sometimes that's a dozen shaves, sometimes it's 30. I'm not claiming that flipping is the reason my blades last so long. I think it does help. But I've had many shaves I have not flipped. Unfortunately back then I didn't keep track of my shaves so I don't have numbers to compare.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
When I first started out, I was flipping, marking the sides up/down, logging into a spreadsheet. But now I just shave. :w00t:

But seriously, I completely respect every shaver's process and the routine that works best for them. I absolutely have my "process", which includes a post-shave routine of breaking a razor down, rinsing and drying it all (including the blade) thoroughly. I don't flip, strop or otherwise spend much time with the blade -- mostly because I'm a klutz and I try to reduce the possibility that I'll cut myself. So my blade routine stops with rinsing the blade well and *carefully* patting it dry. Once a shave feels sub-optimal to me, I ditch the blade and move on to a new one. I've seen "science" behind doing and not doing blade stuff, but these days I just do what works for me.

For your reading enjoyment:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
So, the other day, while talking wetshaving in another venue, I made mention that I flip my blade after every use and was promptly told that it was a pointless waste of time. Considering that I open up my razors to remove the blade and dry them out after every shave anyway, I don't see it as any time wasted, but I was wondering if anyone else flips their blade for each shave. To my thinking, just like stropping a straight razor, each side of the cutting edge should get equal attention. Especially considering that the blades we use have coatings of Teflon, platinum, chrome, etc., that wear away a little each time it is used. So, are there any other blade flippers or am I just "wasting my time"?

I break everything down to clean and dry. When I put it back together I flip the blade. I run my blades until they tug, or, loose cutting efficiency. Sometimes that's a dozen shaves, sometimes it's 30. I'm not claiming that flipping is the reason my blades last so long. I think it does help. But I've had many shaves I have not flipped. Unfortunately back then I didn't keep track of my shaves so I don't have numbers to compare.
I rinse and dry the razor cap, plate and handle after each shave. I take that opportunity to rinse, dry and flip my blade.

Most blades are binned after 5 shaves, except Feathers which are binned after 3 shaves.

Each shaver should do whatever works for that shaver. It doesn't matter what other shavers do, or do not. ;)

The design of DEs means that just screwing the head of the razor on (or closing the doors etc) ensures that each side does get "equal attention"; otherwise the blade wouldn't properly shave, it would be scraping.
The theory behind flipping the blade is so that each bezel “side” has equal contact with the face and whiskers. When shaving only one side of the blade is in contact with the face so that side theoretically gets more wear than the side not in contact.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I could imagine flipping making a difference if you used a blade for hundreds of shaves but not for normal use. That said if you want to flip then ignore the naysayers and flip away. I am so bored these days I may start blade flipping myself, I will choose the number of flips by the roll of a dice, thus potentially not flipping at all. 👍

I don't care what any of the naysayers have to say on this subject, I flip my blade after every use, PERIOD. End of subject.

I always take the blade out and rinse it after each shave. I then go over my razor with a soft toothbrush under running water to remove all the soap residue. It just seemed natural to flip the blade when I put back in the razor.

wo. Tha

wwo.

Oh

O h,

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I clean my razor after every use if possible and like to flip the blade into my larger razor rotation.
In theory it makes sense but in practically how do you measure the effectiveness in this method?
Because the fine edge of blade is very finite it can curl a little so by flipping it might bend it straighter is my understanding.
I do it automatically and it is no big issue for myself, its basically stropping, but your face skin is the strop if that makes any sense.
Fellows who strop a straight razor are straightening the edge as good as possible to cut down on honing or a butcher who uses steels to straighten the knife cutting edge to get more life out of the blade edge before sharpening to often which takes a lot of time.
I do not usually flip most of my injector blades other than a few E&G types, I can flip those easily and they seem to hold up OK with out flipping, but I still like to rinse well injector blades after every use. Some Schick injectors have the hydro-magic feature for better cleaning.
Picture below is a razor blade edge at 50,000 X .
razor edge (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I break everything down to clean and dry. When I put it back together I flip the blade. I run my blades until they tug, or, loose cutting efficiency.

I like a sharp blade and blades are cheap. I don't shave every day, so every blade starts to tug after 2 shaves. When I lived in a house with well water, I broke everything down after the 1st shave to clean and dry. Now living in an apartment with softer water, I no longer clean and dry after the first shave, but still toss blades after 2.

I clean my razor after every use if possible and like to flip the blade into my larger razor rotation.
In theory it makes sense but in practically how do you measure the effectiveness in this method?
Because the fine edge of blade is very finite it can curl a little so by flipping it might bend it straighter is my understanding.
I do it automatically and it is no big issue for myself, its basically stropping, but your face skin is the strop if that makes any sense.
Fellows who strop a straight razor are straightening the edge as good as possible to cut down on honing or a butcher who uses steels to straighten the knife cutting edge to get more life out of the blade edge before sharpening to often which takes a lot of time.
I do not usually flip most of my injector blades other than a few E&G types, I can flip those easily and they seem to hold up OK with out flipping, but I still like to rinse well injector blades after every use. Some Schick injectors have the hydro-magic feature for better cleaning.
Picture below is a razor blade edge at 50,000 X .
View attachment 1381371
Have some great shaves!
Very cool picture! Being a knife guy, The rolling or "toenialing" of an edge like shown in your pic is basically what (in my mind) I am trying to keep to keep as consistent as possible. Even if it is only for four or five shaves.

Top Bottom