What's new

Blade Feel

What causes you to "feel" more of the razor blade. Blade gap or blade exposure? If I shave with the Merkur 34c HD it has a blade gap of .71mm, according to what I could find on the internet, and if I shave with my REX Envoy it has a blade gap of .635mm if my calculations are correct. I don't feel the blade with the 34 and I really feel it with the Envoy. I would think a smaller blade gap less blade feel?

I think you feel the blade with more positive exposure. To the extent you're thinking about efficiency, I am also curious about the blade exposure and blade gap effects. For example, if you have neutral or negative blade exposure but a larger blade gap, can that produce a more efficient shave that most people think only positive blade exposure can provide.

Blade exposure and blade gap. The main thing that bites me is when those two go hand in hand. I use a Fatip OC and it works just fine because there is no blade gap and it has almost an adjustable blade exposure depending on the angle you use when you shave with it.

Here's my understanding, but a razor designer might chip in here.

The two work together, one relating to the bottom plate, one the top cap:
  • No blade gap: the blade sits on the bottom plate. You'll never feel that blade.
  • No blade exposure: blade is aligned with or buried under the top cap. Again, no blade feel.
Both conditions might give a shave. Maybe not a good one, but either can (theoretically).
Balancing the two is the key to good design.
Next, each of us needs to find the razor that has the best combination for our beard, skin type, etc., etc. (down the rabbit hole we go)......

Exposure (which is also a fantastic album by Robert Fripp). The .95 Timeless has very little blade feel. The ATT Windsor H has a .91 gap, but a good deal more blade feel.

Exposure
You could have a high blade gap with no exposure and no blade feel. But the other way around, yeah you’d have blade feel.

Both have an effect but blade exposure would be the main reason. For neutral or negative blade exposure, the gap and how much pressure you apply.
Blade angle also plays a part, see here; Blade Angle | Badger & Blade
This may help you understand the parameters; Safety Razor Parameters: Illustrated and Defined - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Safety_Razor_Parameters:_Illustrated_and_Defined

+1! Great threads!

My understanding is that this is a complicated question with multiple contributing factors, but exposure is the main driver in most razors.

Both have an effect but blade exposure would be the main reason. For neutral or negative blade exposure, the gap and how much pressure you apply.
This may help you understand the parameters; Safety Razor Parameters: Illustrated and Defined - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Safety_Razor_Parameters:_Illustrated_and_Defined
Great read... Thank you! There is a lot to know and understand. I think my DE razor knowledge increased quite a bit. Really appreciate the links. I will certainly be referring back to them.

So it sounds like to me, you want to find the proper angle for each razor and maintain that angle throughout the shave for the best possible shave. Now I might and missed it or not misunderstood, but by shaving with the cap and base plate both touching your face; is that considered proper angle? With minimal pressure of course.

So it sounds like to me, you want to find the proper angle for each razor and maintain that angle throughout the shave for the best possible shave. Now I might and missed it or not misunderstood, but by shaving with the cap and base plate both touching your face; is that considered proper angle? With minimal pressure of course.

The proper angle is when you feel the blade working. Look an e.g. an R41 and a R89. They each bend the blade differently, the R41 hardly at all while the R89 bends it quite a lot. The result is that angle of the blade in relation to the razor (let's say the handle to keep things easy) differs between them. Thus, the razors need to be held at different angles. Try a few different angles, or the whole arc, and you will feel when you are about right.

The straight razor, however, has an infinite blade gap and at about 5/8" blade exposure. :001_smile

Great point on pressure!! I also like that you brought in the "parameters" link. If I were to place the items impacting how much I feel the blade in order, it would be:

1. Blade support (probably only important if you have coarse hair). Firm blade support lessens the harshness for me at least. It makes no difference to my fine-haired son.

2. Exposure

3. How abrupt the guard curves or "falls away" from the point of contact with the skin. In other words, does more of the guard contact and support the skin as more pressure is applied, or is it a "corner" on the guard that contacts the skin. While 3rd on my list for blade feel, it is top of the list for Nicks.

4. Guard Span (which Gap is a surrogate for) is last on my list.

I apologize if I am hijacking the thread by bringing up the first item.

Great point on pressure!! I also like that you brought in the "parameters" link. If I were to place the items impacting how much I feel the blade in order, it would be:

1. Blade support (probably only important if you have coarse hair). Firm blade support lessens the harshness for me at least. It makes no difference to my fine-haired son.

2. Exposure

3. How abrupt the guard curves or "falls away" from the point of contact with the skin. In other words, does more of the guard contact and support the skin as more pressure is applied, or is it a "corner" on the guard that contacts the skin. While 3rd on my list for blade feel, it is top of the list for Nicks.

4. Guard Span (which Gap is a surrogate for) is last on my list.

I apologize if I am hijacking the thread by bringing up the first item.
Would poor blade support cause blade chatter?

Would poor blade support cause blade chatter?
Yes. For me it just feels harsh though--especially on the first pass. There are some razors that other people really like that I don't care for. Almost always this comes with a narrow area of support on the base (as in an R41) making it feel harsh. This is the case for me even on some razors that others call mild. While I think it is chatter, I don't sense it as being chatter-like.

I have one son who has fine blonde hair--he is not sensitive to this. When using a straight, he likes a tall thin blade that is very hollow ground.

My other son has dark coarse hair like me (and acne too). He is extremely sensitive to a poorly supported blade. Neither he nor I use a straight, but from what I have read on B&B, he and I would prefer a shorter Wedge blade. He and I prefer blade exposure, we just need support.

I use a 34C every day and find different blades give me different feels. So I think a lot has to do with the blade. Astra SP-SS are my go to, Derby I get a lot of blade feel with a very smooth shave. Feathers give me not a lot of blade feel but a very close shave, Sharks give me more blade feel than I like and not a very good shave. I don’t think I will ever move on from the 34C and just change blades for a different feel.

That being said I have tried a few razors from Fat Boy, New, Fatip P., Tech, and jut kept coming back to the 34C. The only razors I have now are the Merkur and a 54 Tech.

Top Bottom