What's new

Blade exposure

So what you guys are saying is I need a new razor? Sweet!

I was looking at the super speeds. Is there a particular year model I am after? Seems like the quality drops off once they are 1960 or newer.

Are you in the states? Flair tips and techs are typically easy and cheap to find at antique stores in the states. I don't know about outside the states. I think quality of Gillette was good through the 70s.

What razors have you used?

Just my cheapo that does a fair job.

Are you in the states? Flair tips and techs are typically easy and cheap to find at antique stores in the states. I don't know about outside the states. I think quality of Gillette was good through the 70s.

Yes I am in the states. I have a tech on the way. I am also eyeing a super speeds of the different varieties. You can get them on eBay for around $20 bucks. I even found a blue tip that appears to be in good working order for $10.

I am kind of digging the Fatboy or the Slim. There are some pretty favorable deals on those as well. They seemed priced comparably to modern adjustable razors. There is definitely one of those in my future.

Curse you all for giving me RAD.

I hear you
I only have issues with Maggard V3A, and razorock german 37slant, razorine.
So I can not speak for all razors
I should have said try to remedy

I found the Blue Tip too mild for me. That Fat boy is a nice razor to use, good feel in the hand. I would also recommend a Gillette New LC.

So I got my Gillette Tech in and it is quite mild in comparison to what I am using. I suspect this due to the very small blade gap. The top cap is also flatter so the angle I hold the razor at is closer to 45 than 30 like my current one. The handle being an inch shorter pretty much rules it out as a head shaver.

I put a Derby Premium in it and a soap sample I wanted to try. The shave was good, but not much better than what I currently use. The irritation was less severe and in different places, not that I get bad irritation anyway.

So I will finish out my Derby sample before switching to a different blade. I am thinking about loading it up with a Feather blade to see how well it does. I have read sharper blades really make this shine.

One thing that is neat about this razor is someone stripped the nickel off the head piece so the red brass and yellow brass give it a nice two tone look. I suspect the brass is not as smooth as nickel or chrome, but I like the look of it.

My flare tip came today so I might try it next week. Looking forward to it.

Top Bottom