What's new

Blade Exposure

I apologize if this has been discussed already. However, I have not been able to find the answers I am looking for.

Why do most razors have positive blade exposure? I have seen pictures showing Merkur razors with negative blade exposure (see attached picture). So, there doesn't seem to be a need to have positive blade exposure. From my extremely inexperienced perspective it seems like a bad idea to use a razor that naturally wants to be below the surface of your skin (if you let it). I understand that everyone controls the angle of the razor so that the blade always glides along the surface. However, that seems to be the hard way to do things.

Do you prefer a certain amount of blade exposure? Does your skill with a razor make this a non-issue?

Attachments

• 15C-Cropped-wShavePlane.jpg
    15C-Cropped-wShavePlane.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 69
Good question! Generally, having a gap in the razor increases the usable angles that razor can shave on. And the safety bar, in theory, would stop you from going to such an extreme angle as to let the blade dig in.

I'd think it would also help having more blade exposed when cutting coarser hair or plowing through longer growth.

Some guys like the feel of the blade on their face. They think it will give them a closer shave with less passes. I have no problem getting a close shave with a mild razor such as the Merkur you show.

Straight razor shavers seem to do pretty well with complete blade exposure! It obviously requires the right blade angle and a light touch. A DE razor with positive blade exposure used with the right blade angle and a light touch can deliver a great shave too.

Zero- or negative-blade-exposure razors tend to be more forgiving of mistakes, especially for beginners. In any event, some people like positive blade exposure and others like no blade exposure. YMMV.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
For the best shave, a razor should cut hair at or very near skin level. Some exposure of the blade is generally needed for that to happen. A recessed blade will either rely on the flexibility of the skin to effectively bunch up between guard and cap (possibly requiring a light pressure), so the skin level is higher where the blade is, or the blade is going to cut high on the shafts of hair, and possibly cause a bit of tugging.

The picture shown in the OP looks almost neutral to me, and is certainly not heavilly recessed, so I can't imagine that razor giving anyone any problems getting a good shave. even with a featherlight touch. That said, ALL razor/blade combinations need driving differently to yield best results IMHO

Top Bottom