What's new

Blade Evaluation

That is a good question: I will say a few things: 1. how it cuts, how it feels when cutting, does it feel smooth when cutting. I have kept many tucks of different blades. I have tossed some blades. As my technique has improved my feelings about blades have changed. I keep around what I consider a mild dependable blade Astra Green or Blue. My favorite blade is Gillette Silver blue. Kia and Feather are great sharp blades. It is really how the blade feels on my face with my technique that helps me determine a good blade. Blades I have tossed Green Darby and Shark. Because my technique has changed I am sure I could go back and get good shaves with them. Now just a few days ago I went back and used some blades that I did not like a few years ago and got a great shave. So I do keep some blades around that I don't love but I try them with new razors or as I feel my Technique has improved. With blades and most things YMMV.

I would say I'm generally looking for two main things:

1) How much force is needed to cut. I'm looking for a blade that I don't have to 'push' around my face in order to get a good shave.

2) How my face feels posts-shave. I'd like as little redness, tingling, burning or soreness as possible when I'm done.

My standard for both is the Bic Chrome Platinum.

And yes, for sure I always try blades in various kinds of razors because sometimes the difference can be like night and day.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Most blades are made fairly good now a days it seems, what I do is when I find a blade that works well with some of my favorite razors I try to rate it. I have a standard blade that I know fairly well and all other blades are rated better or worse against my standard blade. Gillette has been making razor blades for the last 120 years and know their business well.
The Gillette Astra SP is my standard blade by what I rate my other blades.
I sort of made a photo chart when learning traditional wet shaving to help others who seem to struggle with blades and like to know what to buy or rate them.
People seem to like visual explanations also and text mixed in.
This is my simple chart that I have used for years when it comes to my testing great blades and not to make it confusing, it is a just a simple guide indicator that should be updated again but it works.(nothing is written in stone and I have a few other blades that are not on this chart.) The Kai SS blade can be used in mild razors if you want a boost in performance because it is wider blade.
( My favorite DE blade is the Gillette silver blue and my favorite SE blade is the Gem Personna SS PTFE blades. I like the blades that are in the sharp and smooth column moving into the sharpest column seems to work well for myself).
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Top Bottom