What's new

Blade Durability?

I've been having some issues and I'm not sure if they are technique or my blades. When I first got my Merkur HD I got some Feather blades. Some of you may remember my post about my first DE shave. I left my sink on and got my floor all wet. Well I also got my brand new pack of Feather blades wet as well. i know they are stainless and coated and such but is it possible that getting them wet has made them degrade some?

Remember, I'm also open to the theory that my technique isn't the best or that I just need to try some different blandes.

While I can't speak out of experience or knowledge, I would think that even if the blades themselves are stainless and coated, having them wet excessively - even if only for a couple of minutes) will result in some degraded shaving performance if not used within the following days.

Seeing as they get wet when shaving, I'm not sure that a little water would be a big problem. Now if they were submerged for an extended amount of time that's a different story.

Metallurgy experts? Weigh in!

They may get wet when shaving, but they also get coated with soap and cream, which being alkaline help the steel resist corrosion.

How did the blades get wet, weren't they sealed in wax paper? I would think that if you wiped the water off the paper packaging then the blades shouldn't have gotten wet.

mparker762 said:
They may get wet when shaving, but they also get coated with soap and cream, which being alkaline help the steel resist corrosion.

How did the blades get wet, weren't they sealed in wax paper? I would think that if you wiped the water off the paper packaging then the blades shouldn't have gotten wet.

Well, the entire box, of ten, got soaked when the drawer I had set them in became filled with water when I didn't turn my sink off. It seems we can never truly put such embarrassing moments behind us.

My box of 100 Derbys also got wet--in the same embarrassing way--and I have not noticed any negative results.

Were the blades shrink wrapped in their boxes?

I'd think that if you layed them all out on a towel to air dry then put them back in a box they'd be fine.

mrob said:
I'd think that if you layed them all out on a towel to air dry then put them back in a box they'd be fine.

I wasn't thinking about the blades at the time. I was more worried about using my shop vac to suck the water out of my carpet and forgot about the blades so they were wet for as long as it took them to dry out in the dispenser and wax paper.

I sympathize and empathize! I was the guy who copied you by leaving my faucet running as I showered about a week after you did--everything in my bathroom cupboard was also soaked pretty good, and the blades were the least of my concern at the time. (Avoiding my wife was job #1!)

Top Bottom