What's new

Blade Disposal

Good deal! I purchased one of these for $0.99, which appears to be similar, if not the same. I use it for intermediate storage and when it is full, I transfer its contents to an empty, child-proof capped medicine bottle for disposal. Couldn't be less expensive while still providing for a good margin of safety.

I use an inverted Illy coffee tin, I got my brother to cut a blade sized slot in the bottom and in a few years time it'll be full I suppose. Not sure what I'm going to do with it then though!

Jonnybc said:
I use an inverted Illy coffee tin, I got my brother to cut a blade sized slot in the bottom and in a few years time it'll be full I suppose. Not sure what I'm going to do with it then though!

Put it in the steel recycling bin at your local tip/dump. :thumbup1:

Here's mine, made from a steel evaporated milk can.

proxy.php

I also like the steel evaporated milk can: opaque, unopenable (no spillage), unbreakable, etc. I used a hacksaw to cut a thin slit on the side near the top. Once I fill it up, in a year or two, a tap with a hammer will permanently close the slit. :smile:

Jonnybc said:
So obvious I didn't think of it. Thank you Iwan.

You know I didn't think of it either until someone on here mentioned it the other day. And we have about 3 recycling places near where I live which I regularly take cans/bottles/paper to! :001_rolle

It's got to be better than mixing up metal and plastic to go into landfill with the rest of the 'general' waste. :001_smile

By the way, I couldn't remember where I first saw the idea for this - as I was reading so many websites and forums at the time. But it was Leisureguy's blog where I got the idea. :thumbup1:

In January, a friend and I installed a pocket door in my half bath, and we also rewired and installed a new light. This required taking the medicine cabinet out of the wall. When we did, there were literally dozens of DE blades lying behind the cabinet, which had a little slit inside that said "Razor Disposal" or something. I never thought someone would actually use it.

The little metal container that my blades come in has a place on the back for the used blades. I just put them in there and then throw away the whole thing when the fresh ones are used up.

Can I assume that the "good blades" aren't packaged the same way? Just what I need, something else to carry in my shave kit.

Iwan said:
You know I didn't think of it either until someone on here mentioned it the other day. And we have about 3 recycling places near where I live which I regularly take cans/bottles/paper to! :001_rolle

It's got to be better than mixing up metal and plastic to go into landfill with the rest of the 'general' waste. :001_smile

By the way, I couldn't remember where I first saw the idea for this - as I was reading so many websites and forums at the time. But it was Leisureguy's blog where I got the idea. :thumbup1:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6008

See reply #6. That guy is pure genius! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

As has been pointed out, blades bought in bulk (e.g., Israelis) come as a cardboard box of razor blades: no disposal built in. Same for the 100 single-edge blades I bought. Also, the Derby package has a terrible blade safe: the little door immediately breaks off, making it easy to spill out used (and new) blades.

MasonM said:
The little metal container that my blades come in has a place on the back for the used blades. I just put them in there and then throw away the whole thing when the fresh ones are used up.

Can I assume that the "good blades" aren't packaged the same way? Just what I need, something else to carry in my shave kit.

My Feathers, Derbys, and Merkurs all had this slot for blade disposal.

On the Derby package, like Michael says, the little plastic door can break off real easily... but if you are careful it will remain intact (I haven't managed to break one yet at least)

Top Bottom