What's new

Blade Disposal?

I use an empty Don Francisco's coffee can. I just cut a slit into the plastic lid and keep it under the sink with the rest of my shaving supplies. When it gets full in like 5 years, I'll use tape to seal the opening, and to seal the lid onto the can and toss out.

$13199454.jpg

I re-purposed an old can of beans. Dumped out the contents, re-attached the lid, and cut a hole in the top just large enough for blades.

I suppose I am the irresponsible one. I put the used blade in the new blade wrapper and then break it in half. I have been doing this for years without consequence. My opinion if the blade is no longer sharp enough to cut whiskers it's not sharp enough to cause major damage. I have suffered worse cuts from cans, exposed nails and paper. Additionally I believe the sanitation workers are expecting worse hazards than a spent DE blade. Utility knife blades I usually toss in a 20 ounce bottle before discarding.

I suppose I am the irresponsible one. I put the used blade in the new blade wrapper and then break it in half. I have been doing this for years without consequence. My opinion if the blade is no longer sharp enough to cut whiskers it's not sharp enough to cause major damage. I have suffered worse cuts from cans, exposed nails and paper. Additionally I believe the sanitation workers are expecting worse hazards than a spent DE blade. Utility knife blades I usually toss in a 20 ounce bottle before discarding.

The most dangerous blade is the one you shug off and think isnt sharp. Just because its not shaving sharp doesnt mean it wont slice through flesh

I was always taught that a sharp blade is a safe blade. Your less likely to be careless with it.

That said.. lol I see nothing wrong with putting it back i to its wrapper, snapping it and then tossing it. Solong as that blade isnt exposed.

Last edited:
Awesome to see variety of solutions to a simple everyday problem.

I just ate the last cherry from this, and I nominate it for the job.

$IMG_2614.jpg

I have a old pirate bank that I got at an antique store that has a screwed in bottom to ensure my kids don't play with it :)

proxy.php

proxy.php

Works great and I have a feeling will take awhile to fill.

I've got something similar to this - it's a kid's piggy bank that cost almost nothing at a dollar store and will hold thousands of blades. When it's full I'll hit the top with a hammer to close the slot and then through the whole thing into the recycling.
View attachment 684928
This is my blade bank. I found it at the dollar store for, duh, $1. It's about 8" high and will take quite a few years to fill.

I like using a plastic can that I'll secure with some adhesive tape and throw it away when it's full.

I use this Orbit gum container, it's great for that:

$IMAG0286.jpg$IMAG0285.jpg

The top comes off, so I don't have to unscrew it, I can open it with one hand, while I have the blade in the other, so it's easy to use without risking cutting myself. If I would want to go further, I could cut an orifice on the top that would allow me to drop the blade inside.

It holds a lot of blades, I probably tossed around 50-60 until now, and it's probably around 1/4 full.

I cut a slit in a broth can and made it a blade bank. There are a couple old posts for creative ideas on that. This one is a bit of a classic. If traveling, take a plastic blade tuck like Derby or Zaza. They include an underside slit for used blades.

I called my garbage collector. They supply a free sharps red box for proper disposal. They also said laundry detergent bottle like Tide work great. No chance of glass etc breaking and getting into environment to harm someone. Best part is FREE and saving future generations from danger.

Sharps container from the local pharmacy. When it's full I can just deposit it at the pharmacy for them to deal with as they do with such things.

4$ and a trip down the block to the pharmacy once every ten years or so (and I go to the same center every week anyway for grocery shopping, so even that isn't out of my way) seems like a non-existent trade for proper certainty that there's no issues. When it's that cheap & easy, I don't see how there's any motive to scrounge containers and/or cross my fingers that it'll be good in the regular trash or recycling.

Even if I was filling one up 4 times a year, it'd still be cheap and easy enough to make other methods seem weird, IMO.

Top Bottom