What's new

Blade differences?

If this is in the wrong spot I am sorry, I am hoping to get more single edge guys looking at this.

I purchased some Personna coated blades from Cannought Shaving. Greatness is the best single word for them. I wanted to try some other blades recently and purchased the sampler plus more of their Gem Coated blades. They look the same.

I have to say they sure don't seem to shave the same.

Are their different "coated" blades?

I am thinking it is me but I have gone through a couple blades and they don't seem to be the same especially through the first couple shaves.

Also besides the Personna and the carbon blues, what other blades does a guy need to experience. I believe I see "Ted Pella" mentioned some.

Thanks fellas

KM

If this is in the wrong spot I am sorry, I am hoping to get more single edge guys looking at this.

I purchased some Personna coated blades from Cannought Shaving. Greatness is the best single word for them. I wanted to try some other blades recently and purchased the sampler plus more of their Gem Coated blades. They look the same.

I have to say they sure don't seem to shave the same.

Are their different "coated" blades?

I am thinking it is me but I have gone through a couple blades and they don't seem to be the same especially through the first couple shaves.

Also besides the Personna and the carbon blues, what other blades does a guy need to experience. I believe I see "Ted Pella" mentioned some.

Thanks fellas

KM

pellas are personnas coated 3 facet stainless blades sold by ted pella, inc.

20200324_163211.jpg

mine just arrived yesterday. I believe them all to be made by AccuTec blades inc. in Verona, VA.

are they different? probably not a whole lot. I chose to buy mine from this source because it was a reasonable price for 200.

more importantly I have confidence in that what I expect I'm buying.......is what i get.

my first shave with them was smooth for a first use blade. could this be just psychological????? could this be just good soap selection????? could this be just the mild GBar I chose to use. you bet, very possible. unfortunately my own experience is just a subjective opinion.

in the end I like them.......which is good because I have 4.3 years worth of them. give or take.

camo

Last edited:
So is it safe to assume then if I see a GEM coated blade it is a Personna?

KM

I would say more probable than not. I dont think it matters what name is stamped on it.......Personna, Meijer, CVS "blade", Walgreen..........as long as it has AccuTec Blades, Inc. Verona, VA stamped inconspicuously on the packaging somewhere.

camo

I got some of these O.H. from another maker.....

guess I'd had it all wrong after reading the literature......lol

20200327_161714.jpg

should have bought one of these.....

20200327_161918.jpg

camo

All of the Personna/GEM/Treet/PAL SE blades come out of the same plant at 1 Razor Blade Lane, Verona, Virginia. Some are stainless steel, some are carbon steel, some are coated with PTFE (teflon), some are coated with whatever the stuff is that all stainless steel blades are coated with, but they are all produced in the same place. For the sticklers out there, Treet was licensed decades ago either to or from the outfit in Pakistan that makes the Treet DE blades; they have nothing to do with the SE blades made in Verona.

Having said all that, there is another SE gem-style blade that you might try, made by Dorco, that used to be available at the lower range of dollar stores in the US. If the package of SE blades that you find on the peg somewhere says Made in Korea, it's a Dorco; all that say Made in the USA are from Verona. I tried the Dorco blades once, they are imbued with a fair amount of horribleness.

Ted Pella is a company that markets blades and other items to the laboratory and scientific field. Be thankful for these applications, for they keep these blades available to us cheaply and in plentiful supply. If the makers of our SE blades had to depend on wetshavers for their livelihood, they would have gone out of business years ago.

Top Bottom