What's new

Blade Cost Per Year

Well, that is not easy to say. I only use Personna Red, Feather and KAI. No fixed cycle, just following the mood, using each blade one week, average, changing when the shave starts to get uncomfortable. I always buy 100 of the blades I am running out, having about 180 in stock, total. That should be around 10 to 20 Euro per year. I will have to buy KAI end of 2019, beginning of 2020 and then, presumably, next blade to buy 2022.
regards, mycroft

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Virtually nothing.

I started this blade Nov. 28.

I'm now on the 5th week and it shows no signs of slowing down and in fact, has improved. Its still very nearly as sharp as it was fresh and a whole bunch smoother.

The 200 blades cost me CAD$43.16 total. Thats $0.216 per blade. At 20 shaves this blade has cost me $0.010. A full 5 weeks shaves for a penny. People say this type of shaving doesnt save money. Think again.

That was Jan.4 of last year. Used at that rate, I still have enough of those 200 blades left to last me 11 years.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I've spent over $200 US this year. I'm a blade hoarder. The plus side is that I won't have to buy anymore for about 275 years.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The plus side is that I won't have to buy anymore for about 275 years.

giphy.gif

Damned blades are too cheap to buy. I have enough to last me for 10 years. My blade cost would be 8 to 12 bucks Canadian a year if I was thinking.

Even though I started this thread it’s tough for me to estimate my own blade cost. I use 2 blades per month on average. Some are 10 cent Astras and some are even cheaper Rapiras. But I’ve got some more expensive GSBs too..... Well I guess it would be between 2.40 to 5.00 a year. A very rough guess I admit. Lol 😂

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Even though I started this thread it’s tough for me to estimate my own blade cost. I use 2 blades per month on average. Some are 10 cent Astras and some are even cheaper Rapiras. But I’ve got some more expensive GSBs too..... Well I guess it would be between 2.40 to 5.00 a year. A very rough guess I admit. Lol 😂
I buy my blades from Razorbladeclub. For most blades it's $9.99 dollars for a hundred with free shipping. I also use two blades a month. Rounded off that's 2.50 per year out of my 275+ years worth of blade stock stash...

In my opinion, it's more useful to calculate the cost/shave using the formula:

total money spent on blades/number of shaves.
A similar formula could be used for cost/shave using the total cost of all shaving items even if they will never be used.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Update: I should have said, "The plus side is that I won't have to buy anymore for 316 years".

This is the number of blades I have on hand that is not escaping my memory:

Gillette Platinum-800

Timor-200

Polsilver-600

Astra SP-200

Gillette Yellows-400

Bolanzo-500

Silver Star-300

Nacet-200

Satinex 2000-200

Derby-100

Personna-100

Feather-400

GSB-300

New Lord Platinum-500

Lord Platinum SP-500

Lord Classic SS-500

Lord SS-500

Shark SS-500

Shark Platinum-500

Total 7,600 Blades

This is my new blade count since August 12th. The new blades I've acquired since then are listed in bold print. At two blades a month and 24 for the year this comes out to 316 years worth of blades.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
In my opinion, it's more useful to calculate the cost/shave using the formula:

total money spent on blades/number of shaves.
A similar formula could be used for cost/shave using the total cost of all shaving items even if they will never be used.
I plan on using every blade I own.

Last edited:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I change out blades every Sunday. No need to be excessively thrifty with something so inherently inexpensive. And with me, most blades need changing after a week anyway.

The average cost of the blades we use is around 15 cents (some are cheaper, some a bit more).

So across 52 weeks, it comes to about $7.80 for the year. I'll smoke more than that on a cigar or two.

Eighty percent of it is with a 40s Super Speed that has soldiered on for years and years, like an old friend, every morning. I don't even remember how I acquired it (likely free).

Traditional DE shaving is a relative bargain unless you get stupid about it.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Total 7,600 Blades

Be prepared to protect your stash if they ever stop making them lol.

The most expensive blades I have are Feather. They cost me $32CAD/100. I used a full 10 blade tuck of them in a Fixed Four over a months time, shaving every other day. Compared to a single Polsilver that lasted 5 weeks, easily.

I cant remember how much I paid for my GEM PTFE blades but at 10 shaves per blade the cost is inconsequential.

A single Mach 3 cartridge here at Walmart is $3.25CAD.

B

Barney14

I change out blades every Sunday. No need to be excessively thrifty with something so inherently inexpensive. And with me, most blades need changing after a week anyway.

The average cost of the blades we use is around 15 cents (some are cheaper, some a bit more).

So across 52 weeks, it comes to about $7.80 for the year. I'll smoke more than that on a cigar or two.

Eighty percent of it is with a 40s Super Speed that has soldiered on for years and years, like an old friend, every morning. I don't even remember how I acquired it (likely free).

Traditional DE shaving is a relative bargain unless you get stupid about it.

Very true

I started DE shaving in July '15, and bought a box of 100 Astra SP's. It lasted me about 2 years, and I bought another box. I'm still working on that box, and probably have half or more of it left. I paid $17 shipped, so if this box lasts me til July '20 it comes out to $34/5 years. That's $6.80 per year. Oh and forgot to mention that for this current box, I toss the blade after 2 shaves.

for me if I stay like this ..

thB8JLVX1O.jpg

very cheep in fact almost noting … well I have to do my swinging bits from time to time . :c8::em2100:

Top Bottom