What's new

Blade choices. what makes you say "yes"

What makes you say, "yes, this is the blade for me"? Or rather what makes you say "no, not this one"?

I'm currently doing an extreme sampler pack and giving each kind a three blade trial for three shaves each. I think that should give me a good idea if the blade works for me in the R89 I have at this point.

For me a blade that I shave with does not tug or pull while cutting, it is sharp while remaining smooth.

As an example, I can use Feather blades and get a good, close shave, but I get a lot of irritation when I use them. When I compare the Iridium Super to the Feather, I get just as close a shave with no irritation. So for me the Iridium Super wins between the two because it is almost as sharp but it is way smoother for my face.

What blades are you trying currently?

Justin

For me a blade that I shave with does not tug or pull while cutting, it is sharp while remaining smooth.

As an example, I can use Feather blades and get a good, close shave, but I get a lot of irritation when I use them. When I compare the Iridium Super to the Feather, I get just as close a shave with no irritation. So for me the Iridium Super wins between the two because it is almost as sharp but it is way smoother for my face.

Justin

Yup. No tugging, no pulling, no irritation. After that, what blade gives me the longest lasting BBS. For me Polsilver SIs and Personna Med Preps beat out all other modern blades, including Feather.

Likewise I look for the best combination of sharpness/smoothness out of my blades. For my beard the blades that offer the best combo of the two are Gillette Silver Blues, Gillette Platinums, and Iridium Supers. I'm sure I could manage to shave with almost any brand blade if I had to, but those are the three current production blades that offer me the most comfortable shaves.

Justin

Way too many justin. I think I went a bit overboard with blades. With that being said, I went through the 7a.m. (apparently not in the picture), Dorco 300, Murkur (did the packaging change?!? I thought it was blue before :huh:), and Gillette Platinum.

At this point I don't think there is too much difference between blades. I bought a sampler pack a few months ago and have tried Feather, Dorco, Shark, Lord, Derby, Gillette 7'oclock, and I have some old Schicks...so far I've gotten good shaves from them all. None were "bad". I think face prep is the key. I'm not saying a bad blade is impossible from time to time, but I personally haven't found a brand that I think is bad.

At this point I don't think there is too much difference between blades. I bought a sampler pack a few months ago and have tried Feather, Dorco, Shark, Lord, Derby, Gillette 7'oclock, and I have some old Schicks...so far I've gotten good shaves from them all. None were "bad". I think face prep is the key. I'm not saying a bad blade is impossible from time to time, but I personally haven't found a brand that I think is bad.

There is no such thing as a bad brand...there is different faces,different skins and different types of beard,and that is why a blade can be awesome for you and awful for me or vice versa.

It's probably more about irritation for me. With the 7am, the area between the upper lip and nose, got slightly irritated / dry.

My decision criteria for selecting a brand to buy in bulk (i.e 100 or so) are:
1) can I get a close, irritation - free shave
2) can I get 3 shaves out of the same blade (no need for more as they are so relatively cheap)
3) finally, is the location/brand/packaging 'cool'

#3 is is totally arbitrary of course. Sometimes I'm in the mood for the tradition of the US or England, the current developments of India, or a Czech/Polish/Turkish brand now manufactured in Russia

Top Bottom