What's new

blade chatter

what causes blade chatter, tugging, or skipping? Soap that isn't lathered properly?

I shaved with a Gillette Tech today and I had a rough shave. The first part of the shave I used an old horsehair brush (NOS Rubberset 19mm) and some VDH soap, and the blade was tugging and even skipping slightly. The second pass I used some Barbasol and it glided smoothly- I didn't feel the blade at all, but it was cutting. I noticed the soap was hard to lather with the horse hair brush, and I'm not quite sure I got the texture right. The slickness was low, but not nonexistent. When I switched to aerosol shaving cream, the problem went away- so I know the blade isn't dull (it's an Astra on its 5th shave and I wipe the blade between shaves using a bit of Barbasol and a Razorpit. If I don't use a Razorpit, a razor won't last more than 3-4 shaves before it starts to feel dull).

Yesterday I used the same setup except I used a vintage badger brush (22mm Ever Ready) and a Bic disposable and the shave was irritation free. I had no problem puck lathering the soap. But the horse hair brush resisted lathering and took at least twice as long.

I'm trying to get back into DE shaving but a few more shaves like this and I throw in the towel and go back to single blades and cream.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Are you certain that the Tech was tightened down enough? Sometimes too loose will give me chatter.

I’ve found that a good lather helps to prevent skipping (load for a minute like you hate the soap, lather until you get a dense yogurty lather with the bubbles beaten out). Assuming the blade is sharp and your angle is good (minimal pressure), is focus on that. You may want to try a different soap/cream (? Proraso), as VDH isn’t one I see being recommended as a great soap.

I’ve found that a good lather helps to prevent skipping (load for a minute like you hate the soap, lather until you get a dense yogurty lather with the bubbles beaten out). Assuming the blade is sharp and your angle is good (minimal pressure), is focus on that. You may want to try a different soap/cream (? Proraso), as VDH isn’t one I see being recommended as a great soap.

VDH worked OK yesterday

Maybe the brush is at fault?. It seems to work OK with triple milled soap (C&E Almond- I bought it up on discount when C&E was clearing it out). Perhaps VDH requires a softer, denser brush?

proxy.php

Are you certain that the Tech was tightened down enough? Sometimes too loose will give me chatter.

Actually, now that I remember... it was a little loose. I remember tightening it up between passes when I went to wipe the blade off on the Razorpit.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I find that blade chatter occurs for me when I have not locked the blade in. With a Tech this happens when I have not tightened up the handle and the baseplate sufficiently or with a Slim or a Fatboy, I have not gone the extra turn to lock everything in place.

I suppose it makes sense, since the blade is so thin, it needs the handle to be tight to add to the blade's rigidity.

the problem may be your Razorpit. Razorpits are made for sharpening cartridge, not DE blades. DE blades have coatings to help then cut smoothly and retain an edge. Your Razorpit is stripping those coating off.

the problem may be your Razorpit. Razorpits are made for sharpening cartridge, not DE blades. DE blades have coatings to help then cut smoothly and retain an edge. Your Razorpit is stripping those coating off.

Cartridge blades are coated as well.

The Razorpit just wipes the blade and gets rid of soap and hard water deposits. It doesn't strop the blade, but it does double the blade's lifespan. Used with the right kind of lather, the blade just glides over the surface.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Cartridge blades are coated as well.

The Razorpit just wipes the blade and gets rid of soap and hard water deposits. It doesn't strop the blade, but it does double the blade's lifespan. Used with the right kind of lather, the blade just glides over the surface.
Lol! Thanks for making me want a Razorpit! No idea what they look like. When you first mentioned it I honestly thought it had something to do with shaving your armpits! I did that ONCE. But it wasn't fun and is a story fit for its own thread, lol.

I can just see the War Department's face when she sees the bill for a Razorpit!

Don't strop DE blades, you're wearing off the coating which is more important than the metal edge. As soon as coating wears off, the edge starts dragging and doesn't cut hair efficiently. Think regular vs teflon coated knife for cutting soft cheese.

Top Bottom