What's new

blade change with each shave?

Do any of you change your blade after each shave?

With the very low cost of quality DE blades I was wondering if any of you change blades after a shave?

I'm new to this and am shaving my face and head and am thinking of trying this. So far I have used derby, dorco, Wilkinson and Merkur blades. It seems that the blade starts dragging towards the end of my second shave on all of these. Last night I ended up with some razor burn with a Dorco... So I started wondering why push it? Its all about enjoying the shave right? I'll keep trying new blades too, maybe there are some that can last multiple shaves?

What are you guys doing? Look forward to your thoughts...

THANKS!

Tom

3 shaves is generally the average lifespan of a blade. I would try some different blades, as three of the four blades you listed, the exception being the Derby, are regarded as not very good.

My uncle did this for a while. However, he had more than 2,500 blades at the time! (He bought them at a G.O.B. auction). However, most blades last me from 2 to 5 shaves depending on the blade.

It depends entirely on the blade and your face.
The blades you mentioned I can't even get one good shave out of.
Now If you're talking about Feather, Bluebird or Shark blades, I can get a week to two weeks out of them.
It's a good thing blades are cheap.

3-5 shaves for me depending on the blade. I wouldn't change after one shave. In fact, many of us find that the best shave on a blade is on the second day. YMMV.

cheers!

Quite often, I find the first shave with a blade to be the harshest, only to become smoother on subsequent shaves. I've been going 3-7 shaves depending on the blade, but regardless of cost, I want to get as many quality shaves from each blade as I can.

3 shaves is generally the average lifespan of a blade. I would try some different blades, as three of the four blades you listed, the exception being the Derby, are regarded as not very good.

Just out of curiosity is there a list of the better blades? I have seen a list of the bad blades... :) Right now I'm just working through a small sample pack I have.

Do any of you shave your head too? I guess one shave for me is the equivalent of 2 shaves if you don't shave your head... So maybe I'm getting 3-4 shaves out of these lesser quality blades?

Tom

The big problem with blades (like everything else around here) is that YMMV.
What works for me may not work for you.
Thank goodness for blade samplers.
Up until the travelling box got to me, I had never tried Bluebird or Shark blades.

My point is, you're going to need to try a few until you hit your sweet spot.
There is much love for the Personna Med Prep blades. I don't like them.
I love my Feathers. Some find them too agressive.

I guess in this case, Your Mileage Will Vary!

Quite often, I find the first shave with a blade to be the harshest, only to become smoother on subsequent shaves. I've been going 3-7 shaves depending on the blade, but regardless of cost, I want to get as many quality shaves from each blade as I can.

This.

I do sometimes when the Treet Durasharps are in rotation. Great shaves and very cheap. Cheap enough to toss after 1 shave if you desire.

It depends on the blade, your face, and even the razor. When testing stick with a few shaves. Once you know what a good shave feels like and some of your favorite blades are then see how far you can stretch them. I can get a 7 two-pass shaves with an Astra but only 2 from a Wal Mart Wilki (for example).

I get 4 good shaves with Personna Lab Blue, then I ditch them. 5 is possible, but at $0.18 per blade, I can afford to toss after 4 awesome shaves. Same with Personna Barber blades. Have yet to use a feather...

I change my DE blades about every four to seven shaves. I can get ten to twelve shaves out of a Schick Injector blade. Here is the thing, my Father changed his blades every Saturday so he would have a sharp blade to shave with before church on Sunday. A pack of ten lasted him ten weeks. I believe that was the lifespan of pre-cartridge DE blades. Changing them daily seems a bit excessive.

Last edited:
Ever since I started shaving my entire face I'm lucky if a blade lasts me 3 shaves, before that when I had a moustache and goatee it would last twice as long. Now, when performance and comfort changes the blade gets tossed at 3 max.

Top Bottom