What's new

Blade Buddy to keep disposable's sharp

Has anyone heard of or used the blade buddy to keep their disposables sharp (more like stropped than actually sharpened)? It popped up on my livingsocial today as a deal and I'm wondering if it works or is another crap product that's too good to be true.

This is what I'm referring to: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...ving_n_1138998.html#s532560&title=Blade_Buddy

I've used Razorpit back when I was using Fusion or Quattro Titanium blades, and I thought it worked pretty well. I still use it from time to time on my disposable head razors. I tried it once on a DE blade though and felt like it did nothing. Plus, I just ordered 200 platinum blades for $16 plus shipping, so I'm not too worried. All ADs are under control now!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Bluebriz, Thanks for a response that is actually adding something of value to this thread.

All of the responses added value to this thread, though they might not have been what you wanted to hear, they conveyed the opinion that these things don't work.
these "one sided stropping devices" have been around for ages and are most successful at removing funds from peoples wallet.
there isn't one shred of credible evidence that they do anything at all. Some people believe they do, but anectdotal evidence is not credible.

All of the responses added value to this thread, though they might not have been what you wanted to hear, they conveyed the opinion that these things don't work.

Conveying that they don't think they work in a thought out way is fine and is opinion I'd want to hear. And for the most part asking opinions on products or experiences with those products on a message board relies on anecdotal evidence.

Last edited:
Hell most people just strop em back and forth against a pair of jeans and swear they get more life out of their cartridges (some claim a year on one cartridge). After reading this I decided to test the theory and found my old fusion. I cold shaved on one side (left with the old cartridge and could tell right off the bat that I loved my D/E and somehow felt like I was cheating on her with an old fling. Then I stropped the fusion 20 times against a pair of jeans I had hanging up. Went back and shaved the right side of my face and definitely noticed a difference in performance. She still hasn't learned enough tricks to sway me from my new found lovers, but it did seem like the stropping bit worked *shrugs*

You'd probably get just as good or better results from stropping your disposables and carts on your jeans.

Conveying that they don't think they work in a thought out way is fine and is opinion I'd want to hear. And for the most part asking opinions on products or experiences with those products on a message board relies on anecdotal evidence.

It's not a matter of "they think the device doesn't work"; it's simple scientific fact that it can't work!! Study the science behind sharpening a blade edge, and you will quickly find out that it is impossible to sharpen an edge when you don't have access to both sides of the edge. Since a cartridge by design only allows you access to one side of the edge, sharpening is simply not possible.

At best these devices allow for the removal of microscopic crud/ oxidation from one side of the blade edge: the exact same thing you will accomplish for free by stropping on a pair of jeans!!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It's not a matter of "they think the device doesn't work"; it's simple scientific fact that it can't work!! Study the science behind sharpening a blade edge, and you will quickly find out that it is impossible to sharpen an edge when you don't have access to both sides of the edge. Since a cartridge by design only allows you access to one side of the edge, sharpening is simply not possible.

At best these devices allow for the removal of microscopic crud/ oxidation from one side of the blade edge: the exact same thing you will accomplish for free by stropping on a pair of jeans!!

Thanks, much more eloquently said than I managed.

I'd love to see a study showing the magnified visual difference between pre-stropped and post-stropped multiblade carts. I have no doubt that it would simply reinforce our assumptions, but it would be nice to see the proof.

I'd love to see a study showing the magnified visual difference between pre-stropped and post-stropped multiblade carts. I have no doubt that it would simply reinforce our assumptions, but it would be nice to see the proof.

They actually have a picture of something along those lines on the product website:
http://www.getbladebuddy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/razor-blade-compare.png

But considering the source, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks for all the comments.

Last edited:
I use a rubber silicone kitchen hotpad to strop my Hydro-3, and Atra carts on. It does work and I'm up to 25 shaves on my Hydro-3 cart. It doesn't really sharpen the edge, it straightens it and cleans the soap and other residue off the outer edge. It basically gives you a smooth clean edge to shave with.

Clayton

I use a rubber silicone kitchen hotpad to strop my Hydro-3, and Atra carts on. It does work and I'm up to 25 shaves on my Hydro-3 cart. It doesn't really sharpen the edge, it straightens it and cleans the soap and other residue off the outer edge. It basically gives you a smooth clean edge to shave with.

Clayton

You mean like the ones you buy for $5 or less? Does it have any sort of ribbing or texture on it?

Top Bottom