What's new

Blade Biter's Tasting Notes

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Found this on bladeforums, but maybe it’s not the same as it seems like straight razors and not DE blades:

Lafayette Cutlery Co. a trade mark name of Wiebusch & Hilger 1909-1923.

"Hilger & Sons was an importer of cutlery and hardware in NYC, founded 1848. Eventually -- probably in the 1890s -- it merged with Wiebusch, to become Wiebusch & Hilger, one of the top 19th and early 20th century US importers of German, Bohemian, and English cutlery (there were dozens of wholesale importers, most located in the cutlery district of lower Manhattan, on or near Duane Street; other top firms included H. Boker & Co., Adolph Kastor & Bros, and Alfred Field & Co). After the 1891 US tariff increases, many of these importers acquired or built US knife factories of their own. Wiebusch & Hilger owned Challenge;

editing to add: I’ve just found stainless Lafayette straight razors and “blue steel” Lafayette DE blades, but they were eBay listing s with no history.

Last edited:
77DA21AD-EB56-40C2-943F-CB93D0800B08.jpeg

This blade is up for tomorrow’s shave. La Fayette - totally unknown to me and there are also no markings on the blade wrapper or the blade to pin point better.

It does have @lasta written all over it, because it’s not stainless steel but:

1E97481B-2E39-4773-ABF8-924976E73F0B.jpeg

It is shiny shiny! This blade maker uses polished blades. Or silver coated, but I am guessing that’s not the case - that would have out them out of business before the first batch came out of the factory.

Cheers,

Guido

lasta

Blade Biter
This blade is up for tomorrow’s shave. La Fayette - totally unknown to me and there are also no markings on the blade wrapper or the blade to pin point better.

It does have @lasta written all over it, because it’s not stainless steel but:

View attachment 1622633

It is shiny shiny! This blade maker uses polished blades. Or silver coated, but I am guessing that’s not the case - that would have out them out of business before the first batch came out of the factory.

Cheers,

Guido
Good luck!

lasta

Blade Biter
It's been a while since I had a good tasting...but mostly because have nothing left to bite!

There are a few on the list I haven't gotten around to, but most of them are either rusty carbons or too dirty for me to work up the courage.

If anyone has any "sensational" blade ideas, please let me know. I'll be spending a lot of time eBay hunting this month!

I like my blades on the sharp end, at least 4/5+ if possible!

1680321623313.png

lasta

Blade Biter
Dorco Titan? Gillette 365? Or do they have to be vintage?

Guido
I wouldn't mind a tasting of some Cloud, Baili or Ying Jili. Not sure if I mentioned, but I call the Dorco Prime my Vietnamese Nacet! :w00t:

(troll hugs)
Any ideas on Dorco Prime vs Titan?

My only experience with Dorcos are the old Korean ST-300, wouldn't want to end up with 200 duds!

Modern, vintage, no matter, so long as they are sharp!

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
Top Bottom