lasta

Blade Biter
I'm a Tech lover! What more can I say?
Image_20230116175652.jpg

I think Ima do this all week!

lasta

Blade Biter
So, I've been very lucky lately.

Found a guy on the local Craigslist selling a whole bunch of razors for cheap. Took my chance with a very dirty looking pre-war Tech, and I like it! I'm usually a shiny shiny kinda guy, but this Tech looks tastefully aged with just a little bit of clean up.

But, the plastic handle, while period correct, feel very cheap in the hand. So, I messaged the guy again hoping to get another grungy looking Tech with a fat handle, and got lucky again, he has one!
Image_20230116173023.jpg

Gave the handle a few light rubs with metal polish and my Pre-War Tech is now mated with a well-aged Fat.

Meanwhile, papa grungy got a full spa treatment and is now another shiny shiny in my collection. 2 very fine additions to my collection!
Image_20230116230154.jpg

Were they both prewar? That war Tech (plastic handle) looks good as well. Great spa treatment!!

How do they compare to your others? I am thinking about getting a prewar and postwar as companions to the flat bottom.

Enjoy!

Guido

lasta

Blade Biter
Were they both prewar? That war Tech (plastic handle) looks good as well. Great spa treatment!!

How do they compare to your others? I am thinking about getting a prewar and postwar as companions to the flat bottom.
Hi Guido,

No, the previously green Algae covered one is a post war.

As for shaving, with the exception of the post-war Flat Bottom, all Techs are in the same ballpark (milder). But Techs are cheap, go and pick up a 6-pack!

lasta

Blade Biter
Plastic is hard to bite! But I received 80 vintage Gillette Super Stainless blades today. Opened a tuck to check, and at least 50 of these are 80s/90s made in France varieties.

As far as I'm concerned, French Super Stainless are the holy grail of vintage Gillettes, sharp enough to give Feathers a run for it's money!

Gonna be a great shave tomorrow!
20230118_182449.jpg

lasta

Blade Biter
While I massage my face hoping the hairs grow faster, some quick tasting notes on today's shave:

Pre war Tech, Super Gillette Blue (SE Asia export), Proraso, Proraso, MG5.
20230117_204653.jpg
The newest Super Blues come in a nice crush-resistant presentation box. The tucks themselves are also rather hard, so today's bite was not a clean one...
20230117_204945.jpg
Shave wise, very good blades. I would give 4/5 for perceived sharpness and 3.5/5 for overall smoothness. The razor I used today was one of my mildest Techs, so I was tempted to give these a 4/5 for smoothness. But considering I gave the regular Super Blues and London Bridge (which I feel are identical) a 3.5, I've rounded the results down.

In any case, these are 3.5+ in my books, so smooth enough. Will definitely make it in the regular rotation!

9.5/10 in the overall shave, DFS-BBS border territory, one tiny weeper, but no irritation. The alcohol splash might as well be water.

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
Plastic dispenser, no bite today, but I was tempted!

Today's shave is with a fresh Gillette Super Stainless made in France G3 (1988). Given it's age, the oil lubricant used between individual blades now turned into glue, had to pry open the whole dispenser to get the blades out. My fingernails hurt after this affair, so I'm deducting a point for presentation.

Tools used: NDC Tech (with tungsten weighted Common Bar handle), Super Stainless, Proraso Boar, De Vergulde hand.
20230118_235010.jpg
First impression? Yeah, I love French blades! Perceivably sharper than yesterday's Super Blues, maybe a hair below the 1991 vintage of the same stock, but not far, so I'll rate them the same 4.5/5 for sharpness/cutting efficiency and 4/5 for overall smoothness when shovelling around the face. Another Top Shelf addition to my humble little collection. If you see French Gillette's on ebay, buy with confidence!

Meanwhile, I found out that the 30 other Super Stainless blades from my recent acquisition are Made in Canada. I have a Canadian Tech and Old Type, but never tried Canadian blades. Look forward to doing a cross-cultural Gillette Super Stainless comparison.
20230119_013715.jpg
Shaving mojo is off the charts over the past few days! Added another magnetic strip to accommodate my ever gourging blade rotation. Even tidied up my blade rotation drawer before sleep!
20230119_013658.jpg
20230118_231738.jpg

Have a good day!

lasta

Blade Biter
Blade Biter's journey continues, although if I keep on using these old Super Stainless', I might as well call myself blade prier!

Cracked a fingernail getting these open. After nearly 40 years in storage, the oil lubricant in these tucks have all but turned into glue.
20230120_013619.jpg
RFB, 1986 Canadian Super Stainless, Proraso Boar, Gentleman's Tonic Bergamot & Babassu, Mandom.

Comparing Gillette Super Stainless blades, the Canadian variant is almost as sharp as the French, but a hair rougher feeling. I'm tentatively rating these 4.5/5 for sharpness and 3.5/5 for perceived smoothness. Still an excellent blade (for my preferences) and a solid BBS was achieved without weepers and only minor irritation.

Sorry I got the letter codes mixed up, these Canadians are G3 1986, the French are I 1988.

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
7 days of travel coming up! This will be my shaving kit:
20230121_010548.jpg
I probably only need 2 blades, but packed three just in case: Perma Sharp, Feather, Super Silver. All tried and true for me!

De Vergulde Hand is proving to be an excellent travel companion. Small, light plastic tub, and a classic inoffensive soapy scent that I won't get tired of using back to back. Thanks @Guido75 !

I was going to pack a TTO, but considering 7 days, might be a good chance to get this Tech all patina'd up.

7 days of travel coming up! This will be my shaving kit:
View attachment 1591394
I probably only need 2 blades, but packed three just in case: Perma Sharp, Feather, Super Silver. All tried and true for me!

DE Vergulde Hand is proving to be an excellent travel companion. Small, light plastic tub, and a classic inoffensive soapy scent that I won't get tired of using back to back. Thanks @Guido75 !

I was going to pack a TTO, but considering 7 days, might be a good chance to get this Tech all patina'd up.
That Tech is looking spectacular! Flat Bottom or regular?

Enjoy your puck!! And safe travels my friend!

Guido

lasta

Blade Biter
Home sweet home!

After 5 consecutive shaves with a pre-war Tech and Perma-Sharp, I finally had the chance to try out my latest acquisition, a hyper aggressive Feather open comb. I was tempted to match it with a Feather blade, but I had a Swordfish stuck on my rotation magnet that had been neglected for too long.

Feather OC, Gillette Swordfish, Proraso boar, SV Dolomiti, MG5: I do like the printing on the blade, so +1!
Image_20230127104814.jpg

First things first, the razor: Looking from the original sellers photos, I was expecting a very smooth and mild OC with very gentle curvature. But, after loading a blade, Whoaa, is this thing aggressive!
Image_20230127104824.jpg

This thing might as well be a devette, because all I felt was the blade. OC or not, the bottom bar has not touched my face through the entire shave!

Blade tasting:
A bit of a dilemma, unknown blade matched with a first try razor, so today's rating might need to be adjusted. First impression was that this blade is not very sharp, had to push through some of the tougher areas on the WTG pass. While effort was required, the blade was never "tuggy" or at least enough to cause irritation. On pass 2, the perceived sharpness shot up considerably, but still not something I would rate as "very sharp", overall, I'd give this a 3/5 for perceived sharpness. Very slightly behind Astras.

Smoothness is hard to rate, the razor was very aggressive and I felt the edge on every stroke. Yet, the scrappy sensation never turn into roughness and for the overall shave, I achieved a 2 pass (no touch up) near BBS with absolutely no irritation. This was a surprise, because after the first stroke, I swear I was going to get some raw post shave feel...I'm sure with a milder razor, this blade would certainly qualify for above average smoothness. I'm giving these a 4/5 for perceived smoothness/general comfort.

Overall, a good blade, but not one I would actively seek out:
1674789005791.png

BTW, I put a * next to Gillette Platinums, this is from a "bad batch", a good GP is nearly indistinguishable from Wizamets.

Took a bit of work, but they were on Alieexpress. It appears that you will have to mark them vintage as they say no longer available. By your ratings, it sounds like it's the same blade as my Shanghai made Wilkinson Swords.

lasta

Blade Biter
Took a bit of work, but they were on Alieexpress. It appears that you will have to mark them vintage as they say no longer available. By your ratings, it sounds like it's the same blade as my Shanghai made Wilkinson Swords.
Hi Aaron,

Probably not meant for export, but these are still made and widely available in China:
Screenshot_20230127_125332.jpg
If you want to try these, and anything else from my list, PM me your address!

Top Bottom