What's new

Blade Biter's Tasting Notes

lasta

Blade Biter
Ah the good ol Short Comb. I've had this for about 2 years now, but I'm still not completely familiar with how it works. Every time I reach for it, it feels milder than I expect, yet the results are always closer than planned.

2 pass, no touch-ups, yet BBS- all over.
Image_20230520140119.jpg

As for the blade, second use Eddison and a drastic departure from yesterday's first impression. Shave 2 perceived sharpness jumped up a whole point easily, almost Nacet level sharp. But smoothness fell quite a bit too. I've become used to a blade feeling a little sharper after the first few strokes, but rarely do I feel the need to adjust ratings. The Eddsion jump is significant.

I'm averaging out the impressions and giving it a 4/5 for sharpness and 3.5/5 for smoothness.

1684563177868.png

I am sorry about my cryptic remarks yesterday, but I think they were justified so I didn't bias impressions. I will say two things, I think, that's what I am intending... they will smooth out, but for me they start skipping badly once they reach that stage. Like Tiger level skipping, visible patches that just won't remove. Second, I use one edge at a time so this was interesting to read because you basically experienced what I did in one shave, in two. For me, it's like having an automatic adjustable, the problem is it goes the wrong direction! The first edge was great for me, less resistance than the Crystal(PPC) right out of the wrapper. The second edge turned into Mr Hyde on the ATG pass, plenty sharp! Too much this time for my face and all the pin pricks appeared quickly. So even if I accept this dual nature, the deal I found was $50/200 blades. These would have to be two use blades for me, possibly one. But again, if they actually work for your beard then great(honestly)! And it may be razor dependent.

lasta

Blade Biter
I am sorry about my cryptic remarks yesterday, but I think they were justified so I didn't bias impressions. I will say two things, I think, that's what I am intending... they will smooth out, but for me they start skipping badly once they reach that stage. Like Tiger level skipping, visible patches that just won't remove. Second, I use one edge at a time so this was interesting to read because you basically experienced what I did in one shave, in two. For me, it's like having an automatic adjustable, the problem is it goes the wrong direction! The first edge was great for me, less resistance than the Crystal(PPC) right out of the wrapper. The second edge turned into Mr Hyde on the ATG pass, plenty sharp! Too much this time for my face and all the pin pricks appeared quickly. So even if I accept this dual nature, the deal I found was $50/200 blades. These would have to be two use blades for me, possibly one. But again, if they actually work for your beard then great(honestly)! And it may be razor dependent.

Hmm, I think I agree with you. 3.5/5 for smoothness is an overstatement, these are 3/5 tops. Quite a bit of irritation was felt after a few hours.

BTW, my Eddisons were produced in 2021, so after the Israel closure. Id guess these are now made by Personna in Germany. Dispenser is identical to German Wilkinson Swords (except in white).

**Just had a look under the loupe. Grind pattern is identical to German Personnas.

That's not great news for the newest production, our impressions seem to be similar... and mine are Israeli. I do wonder if this is meant to be a wow out of the wrapper blade now that I think about it, maybe the coating is much less which would explain how it could be so different to the Crystal. I know we go back and forth about whether some brand of blades are all the same with different names, but I still maintain that even if the blade grind was the same, the coatings could be tweaked enough to produce a totally different experience. And using all the Israeli blades strengthens my belief. But Lords are all the same! :001_tt2:

lasta

Blade Biter
That's not great news for the newest production, our impressions seem to be similar... and mine are Israeli. I do wonder if this is meant to be a wow out of the wrapper blade now that I think about it, maybe the coating is much less which would explain how it could be so different to the Crystal. I know we go back and forth about whether some brand of blades are all the same with different names, but I still maintain that even if the blade grind was the same, the coatings could be tweaked enough to produce a totally different experience. And using all the Israeli blades strengthens my belief. But Lords are all the same! :001_tt2:
To selectively quote @mgweatherly :

"The equipment to manufacture razor blades (especially the vapor deposition equipment that applies coatings) is expensive and can be very high tech. It would not make sense to deviate in one factory from a few well-known "formulas" for making a good blade. "

A "few" different formulas is possible, but I'd say considering DE blade economics, the same product being put in different wrappers is more likely.

lasta

Blade Biter
Bic Astor

First time trying a Bic Astor:
20230522_082615.jpg

First few strokes feel almost Feather like, very good first impression! But, unlike most blades, I got the subtle impression that sharpness didn't increase on subsequent passes. If anything, it might have dulled a bit.

Atg was fine, but nowhere near Feather, maybe even a hair behind Nacet/Perma Sharp. Still a sharp blade though. I'll give it a 4.5(-)/5 for perceived keeness and 3.5/5 for smoothness.

Perfectly capable, above average sharpness, I can certainly rely on this to get BBS, but not quite Gillette quality (IMO).

Been a while since I used Bic CP. I'll have to give them a side by side comparison. But this is my tasting notes, not the Blade Biter's metallographical analysis!

lasta

Blade Biter
It's been a while since I used a Bic Chrome Platinum, I have seriously underated this in my little list!

Used the same razor as yesterday, similar in sharpness as the Astor, but these do feel a hint smoother. Maybe it's psychological, maybe the Proraso cream did better today than yesterday's Arko!? I don't know, but I like these!

Very sharp and very smooth! 4.5/5 sharp + 4/5 smooth. Excellent blades!
20230523_081651.jpg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
May I please ask your opinion on Newfoundland “cold plate?” Do ever feel homesick for it or is it why you’re on another continent right now?

lasta

Blade Biter
May I please ask your opinion on Newfoundland “cold plate?” Do ever feel homesick for it or is it why you’re on another continent right now?
Wow, talk about noticing details!

I was never into cold plate much, pretty much glorified leftovers haha!

Although, I would kill for some cod tongues, fish & brewis, and my old neighbour's Cod au Gratin (God rest her soul)...It's been 7 years since I tasted them! Why did you have to go and remind me?!!

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
Feeling a bit tired today. Thought I would pick up another Tech just to put a smile on.

Alas this is not to be a bright day...only 3 Techs for sale in all of China, and I already have these models.
Screenshot_20230526_164325.jpg

There are a lot of shavers in this country, so sad that most of them are debating Black Eagle vs Paladin and Wolfman vs Paradigm, without ever having tasted a Tech!

lasta

Blade Biter
Gillette Minora Stainless

Another day, another excellent blade from Gillette!
20230531_082108.jpg
I have had experience with vintage Minoras and fake Minoras! But went into today's shave with no preconceptions.

First few swipes and I can tell these are high on the sharpness and smoothness, but not top of the line for either. First pass was uneventful, and very enjoyable. But today's lather was suboptimal, passes 2-2.5 were mediocre at best. ATG in 2 areas of the neck felt sticky and refused to give up a BBS despite going over three times.

No fault to the blade though, because this is a solid overachiever in every respect. 4/5 for both sharpness and smoothness. Excellent blade.

Last edited:
Yes, the Red Tip can take a bite out of any blade and roll with it!

IMO 1950s are close to the peak of Gillette quality. Well balanced and aesthetically pleasing. Not quite as smooth as a Tech, but this is no slouch either, few razors are.

You want one?
:devil:
I plead the fifth your honour.

I looked them up on the bay yesterday and they are available at least, but will stay on the lingering list for now. I believe (but no way of knowing obviously, just a hunch) the Aristocrat TTO I have is too similar to justify a new razor for now. Besides I have two NEWs incoming and a Greencult on the back burner while continually stating I will not buy new razors! :lol1:

lasta

Blade Biter
I plead the fifth your honour.

I looked them up on the bay yesterday and they are available at least, but will stay on the lingering list for now. I believe (but no way of knowing obviously, just a hunch) the Aristocrat TTO I have is too similar to justify a new razor for now. Besides I have two NEWs incoming and a Greencult on the back burner while continually stating I will not buy new razors! :lol1:
Ah yes, your British Crat is hard to beat, and they do shave similar enough.

But I'm a sucker for red heels, and as an admirer of love handles, this is one of the best.

BTW, why are you frequently awake at 4AM?

Top Bottom