What's new

Blade Biter's Tasting Notes

lasta

Blade Biter
I am so envious of your manly Mandom! I'm so tempted to order some at a ridiculous price from japan.
Thanks man! Seems to have disappeared from most shops since Covid, but I think Amazon still has some?

Mine is actually only half the man it used to be, finished the juice a few months ago and now it's filled with Floid. But the bottle is worth the buy itself IMO. Nothing like giving it a slap to finish off a shave! (It literally slaps open/close).

Scent is nothing special though, classic citrus chypre, get yourself a bottle of YSL Pour Homme, Signoricci, or Chanel Pour Monsieur and you are 80% there. No urine, sweat or feline secretions involved.

Last edited:
Sadly I don't think they do anymore. At least my amazon kung fu is failing.

For me it's all about the bottle and the sharpshooter top. That and standing around after work dousing myself like Bronson.

1683858213666.png

lasta

Blade Biter
I am loving the new Dorcos!

20230512_084122.jpg

Despite being short on time, I had a great DFS/BBS- shave with the Prime!

Compared to the Titan, the Prime trades off a bit of smoothness for some much welcomed efficiency. 4/5 for sharpness, 4/5 for smoothness, another blade worthy of being included in the "great" category!

Blue print gets an imaginary +1 too!

I'll have to work my way through the rest of the blades, but both Dorcos are worthy of a 100 pack!

lasta

Blade Biter

I had some trouble sleeping last night. While counting sheep, instead of hearing Ba-ah-ah, one of them kept on shouting NI! NI! NI! In order to placate the blade gods, I jumped out of bed at 2AM and loaded the bugger in a NI.

Image_20230513110442.jpg

Lord Platinum:

My first impression was not very good, from hanging hair tests, the blade did not feel sharp at all. No matter what I did, it would only catch and split the hair along the length rather than give a clean break.

On the face however, I was very surprised. No tugging sensation at all and a significant increase in cutting efficiency was noticed after just a few strokes. Even ATG, there was hardly any pulling at all. They are not the sharpest thing around, but I would say in a similar range as the Dorco Titans.

Saturday is slow shave day, chased BBS and got it. Very little/no irritation and minimal sting from the Floid.

3.5/5 for sharpness, 4/5 for smoothness. Another surprisingly good blade!

1683948571154.png

lasta

Blade Biter
Treet Carbon Black Beauties:

Image_20230514115708.jpg

Treet carbons seem to get a lot of attention, mostly because it's one of the few carbon steel blades still made. I find them OK, workable, no major flaws. But considering the reputation that carbon steel is easier to sharpen to a very keen edge, I feel Treet may not have brought it to its full potential.

Reasonably sharp, smooth enough, but nothing to write home about. Tech is a forgiving razor when it comes to blade choices, but I wouldn't reach for these in aggressive shavers.

3.5/5 for sharpness, 3/5 for smoothness. Good enough, but I won't be buying it in batches.

1684039218932.png

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
Eddison

Is this an Israeli Personna blade? It's been more than 10 years since I shaved with an IP, so no idea haha! But these are good blades!

20230519_211540.jpg

This was my second shave of the day (quick one pass this morning) but the blade pulled through with a CCS/DFS just before dinner. A bit of aftershave sting, but minimal irritation, considering this was the second shave, I would call it's smoothness above average.

Tentative, but 3.5/5 for sharpness (no tug, but not wipe on wipe off either), 4/5 for smoothness. Very good blades!

So SC, yes or no? I have one in sight, but going back and forth if I really need another NEW following the NEW, New Improved, NEW FB and NEW RFB.

(looking to blame you in case the LOTH gives me the look :lol1:)

lasta

Blade Biter
So SC, yes or no? I have one in sight, but going back and forth if I really need another NEW following the NEW, New Improved, NEW FB and NEW RFB.

(looking to blame you in case the LOTH gives me the look :lol1:)

Enablers R Us response: Get, get, get!

Short Comb is the grand daddy of blade support! Not only does it clamp the edge, but it clamps the entire blade on the inside. Probably the toughest grip on a razor blade I've seen! All razors are blade holders, but this thing holds onto it like a baby macaque on it's mother's furs!

An honest friend's response: How much blade support does a guy need :out:? It shaves like an OC Tech. But the Tech is smoother, so is the Long Comb. But it's not expensive and I still think it's worthwhile trying!

*BTW, the picture above is the Old Type, not Short Comb.

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
Yeah I know, but your SOTD triggered me.

By the way - 007 here - no luck yet with the yellow & blue.
BTW, if it nudges you in the right direction, there are two razors that consistently surprise me for being very efficient yet not too high on the blade feel department. The Short Comb is one of them.

The other is the steel Yaqi Mellon...but I wouldn't dare to write a shortlist on your behalf!

BTW, if it nudges you in the right direction, there are two razors that consistently surprise me for being very efficient yet not too high on the blade feel department. The Short Comb is one of them.

The other is the steel Yaqi Mellon...but I wouldn't dare to write a shortlist on your behalf!
Won the auction for the SC. Arriving in June if all goes well! Thanks for enabling and good friend advise!

Last edited:
Mine is more of a rough first impression.

Looking forward to your more scientific BOSC'ing!
I am afraid no BOSC’ing was on order. I was going to make an S post, but once again thought twice about it. Post was to be titled: You’re a weird blade, mister Eddison. I will leave it at that so I don’t insult Guido again by accident. 😬

Forgot to mention, I have been interviewing Mister Eddison recently because I have a lead on a full pillar of 200. Going to pass on that…

Wait, aren't you supposed to be in GRUYERE or something like that?:c8:
No, declared myself out beginning of May. I think I have hinted or blurped here and there for gifts. And I was in on training wheels. Stan granted me my Athena, but I didn’t record that as exception. But GRUYERE has been super successful for me. I am done buying razors. The SC was on my list for some time, but I really don’t have a need voor want for another razor.

Cheers,

Guido

Top Bottom