What's new

Blade Biter's Tasting Notes

lasta

Blade Biter
No tasting notes today, other than to say I shaved with a tried and true blade.

Old Type, Super Silver (4th shave), Mondial Badger, RazoRock SMdF, MG5.

20230213_001548.jpg

8.5/10

The blade was fine, but I polished up and silver plated the Old Type yesterday. During the sanding cycles, I might have removed too much material because it felt significantly harsher than when I got it!

No significant irritation per se, but blade feel went up two notches!

BTW, I only have a few more untried blades in my inventory, mostly vintage eastern European varieties, or lesser known carbon steel ones.

Honestly, I'm not expecting too much from them. Maybe I should wait for @mgweatherly feel the pain first?:c11:

Still a nice job and great handle!! As for the shave - my Old Type has some minor alignment checks & balances to be performed before I get my shave on. So maybe the blade exposure was more on one side than the other?

Cheers,

Guido.

lasta

Blade Biter
Still a nice job and great handle!! As for the shave - my Old Type has some minor alignment checks & balances to be performed before I get my shave on. So maybe the blade exposure was more on one side than the other?

Cheers,

Guido.
Thanks Guido!

It was actually a half-assed job haha. Went a little crazy with the sanding and probably removed 1/2 mm of thickness from the top cap. Even flat sanded the edges, so I'm guessing blade exposure has gone up quite a bit.

A bit rough, but still shaves fine! I needed another slightly more aggressive razor anyways. Excessive Tech'ing has made me complacent.

lasta

Blade Biter
As suggested by @Guido75 , I finally got around to trying a vintage Astra Superior Stainless today.

Image_20230218115651.jpg

I didn't hold much expectations as these came from a lot I purchased from Hungary, the majority of which where loose blades or opened tucks that probably spent decades in questionable storage conditions. I sifted through the pile to find a particularly clean one got down to business.

Wow, These are some fine underdogs! First few swipes and I knew these are top notch. Not the sharpest thing around, but very smooth. The blades cut with adequate efficiency, but what stood out was an almost rounded edge or self-lubricating like sensation that made me feel like I couldn't nick myself even if I tried. At no point did these blades feel prickly.

Compared to modern Astra SP, I would say perceived sharpness is just a hair below, but smoothness and comfort is higher. Modern Astras are equally good blades, but by no means are these eastern block produce second rate plebs!

I'm giving these 3.5/5 for sharpness and 4.5/5 for smoothness. Great blades territory!

1676693291236.png

I don't know what's the story behind Czech Blades SRO, but before Gillette, they were great, during Gillette they were great. But now, they make Tigers with missing teeth. :c8:

PS, pre-shave prep was more extensive today than usual, might have been a contributing factor to shave quality. Best shave all week!

lasta

Blade Biter
Are you going to use the blade again tomorrow? Would be investing to see if performance maintains after the first run.

Thanks for the extended notes.

Guido

Shave 2 with the former Czechoslovak blade, still very good!

English Tech, Astra (2), Mondial, RR SMdF, MG5.

A bit of a primer: I chased BBS yesterday, while I didn't notice anything immediately post shave, there was a hint of residual irritation that popped up in the afternoon. Downgrading perceived smoothness/comfort to 4 (still very good, but not noticeably ahead of modern Astra).
Image_20230219130533.jpg

Yesterday's BBS induced mild irritation meant my face was not in the best of shape today. But the blade still delivered a fuss free shave. No tugging, while I felt a bit of prickliness on some strokes, they weren't rough by any means. I achieved another BBS- shave with a bit of aftershave sting, but no major irritation.

I think vintage Astras are still very good blades and worth trying out if you come across a sizeable lot. But not quite top shelf or worth actively tracking down.
1676783561972.png

lasta

Blade Biter
Tip top technique tames tuggy Tigers - thombrogan

20230221_082629.jpg

Tamed, yes. But why do we do this to ourselves? Most people shave to look presentable. (Most) B&B members shave because it's an indulgence (a few are known masochists). Tigers are tools that you have to work to make it work.

Comparing Tigers to their predecessors, I can see that some hereditary traits have been passed on. The two bevel edge grind is more or less identical to pre-Gillette Astras, although grind quality has gone down significantly as these notably rougher under the loupe.

Copious amount of oil were sprayed on the edges and the 4 wax dots covering 1/3 of the blade puts Gillettes to shame.

On to the shave. They do feel a little bit sharper than the grey Tigers. Slightly ahead of Supermax Diamond Edge and the Supernova I tried recently. Yet still not sharp enough for my liking. WTG did fine, although a bit rough. But ATG needed some slanting/sawing to cut sufficiently.

At the end, I got a fairly close shave. Aftershave sting wasn't high either. But writing 4 hours after shaving, my entire face feels rough, numb, raw etc...classic signs of epidermal damage.

These blades are sharp enough to cut, but by no means smooth or enjoyable. I'm giving 3/5 for sharpness, 2/5 for smoothness. Cheap? Sure, but Gillette Wilkinsons are cheaper still, and much better cutters.

On that fascinating note let us pause for a musical interlude.

I have chosen one of the greatest one-hit-wonders, the Kalin Twins.

Released in August 1958 (You Tube has the date wrong) it was a massive No 1 everywhere.

What a catchy optimistic tune! So late 50's America!

So everyone pull out your D-3 Red Tips, and shave along to 'When'!

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
On that fascinating note let us pause for a musical interlude.

I have chosen one of the greatest one-hit-wonders, the Kalin Twins.

Released in August 1958 (You Tube has the date wrong) it was a massive No 1 everywhere.

So everyone pull out your D-3 Red Tips, and shave along to 'When'!

I'll have to fire up the personal computer and ask the back alley operator to connect me to your song. Skynet doesn't like me watching YouTube.

Will decide on whether to Bacon or Barf after I get through.

lasta

Blade Biter
Man these Tigers are rough! 28 hours later and the corners of my mouth still hurt when I open up to bite. This is going to affect my evening sushi!

I'm opening up a Tiger disposal side business. Send me your Tigers and I'll feed them to my black ****-a-doodle.
Screenshot_20230222_123409_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom