What's new

Blade Angle - some help for newbies

Interesting: A 30 degree angle is always mentioned as being ideal in most threads but with your razor it is much closer to a 45 degree angle.

Interesting: A 30 degree angle is always mentioned as being ideal in most threads but with your razor it is much closer to a 45 degree angle.

Please note that the angle of the razor is different (greater) than the angle of the blade.

I'm very pleased to hear that the photos are helping folks out :)

Since I don't yet have my DE Razor being able to see pictures showing the angles really helps out. Much easier to visualize with the pictures provided. I also want to add my $0.02 for a sticky request. Or possibly editing the current sticky with a link to this thread.

Would you say the angle in these 2 vids is correct?

[YOUTUBE]YKg5r_JkgQA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ZXNNLoCD3V4[/YOUTUBE]

This is awesome! I am going to share this with my buddy who is just staring out. Thank you for posting this!

Whoa, if I did like the second guy on my neck (two ATG passes), I would be in pain and blood would just flow freely down my neck.

That's seriously scary to watch! I was cringing when he went ATG on the second pass!

But like he says, everybody's different. Speaking of shaves, it's time to try out my new Mühle R106!

Great post, it's so easy to get lax about blade angle after you've been doing it for awhile. Shaving while paying attention to fix my wrist (and move my whole arm more) helped a ton in keeping my angle more consistent.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I think at times it can be 'tricky' to control correct blade angle. I catch myself just scraping my skin (I can hear it also), but also most of the time I have good blade angle. I also think a sure sign of bad blade angle and too much pressure is when during the day...your face 'itches' alot (could also be trying to get a close shave by shaving against the grain). :001_rolle

Christopher :badger:

Last edited:
New to DE shaving here. Great pictures.

My Dad gave me some advice to figure out angle as well...practice on your arm (don't shave the entire arm, just a few square inches, and its not like you are going practice this way more than once or twice) The hair on your arm is relatively soft and can be cut dry or with water only so you see what is happening. This gives you a visual comparison on a relatively straight surface, and this is valuable. I might have not made a bald spot on my arm if I had seen these pictures 2 weeks ago though.

n-s and s-n is xtg for some people on the neck.

Phil

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
New to DE shaving here. Great pictures.

My Dad gave me some advice to figure out angle as well...practice on your arm (don't shave the entire arm, just a few square inches, and its not like you are going practice this way more than once or twice) The hair on your arm is relatively soft and can be cut dry or with water only so you see what is happening. This gives you a visual comparison on a relatively straight surface, and this is valuable. I might have not made a bald spot on my arm if I had seen these pictures 2 weeks ago though.

n-s and s-n is xtg for some people on the neck.

Phil
Phil:
Great Advice on practicing blade angles on your arm :laugh:

Christopher :badger:

Top Bottom