What's new

Blade Addiction

Lately I’ve been wanting to acquire more and more blades... enough to last me for 30 yrs or so. I’ve got close to 400 again now, and want to get up to maybe 800 perhaps. Who else here has a blade addiction like me or is a blade hoarder? I’m not into trying to many various blades just want to stock up on brands that I already like. GSBs are great and I want to get more Gillette Yellows again. Perhaps some Astra SPs too! Who else here just can’t stop buying blades and has a lot of them? All replies much welcomed!

I've got roughly 1000 and see no reason to stop. Cheap, last and take up no room.

The wife just bought 2 years of toilet paper. Some don't get that but I cant see us not needing it. Hoarding or just economical?

When 100 blades cost just a few more dollars that 50 why the hell not.

I did for a good long while and hope I don't get into that again. Realistically, I don't shave daily. I don't have heavy beard growth, so one blade lasts me a good long while. I actually end up changing it, not because it's actually dull, but because I like to pretend my beard dulled the blade lol.

I actually end up using my least favored blades for scoring dough before baking and whatnot. I try to find other uses for them because I have finally accepted that I'm not as bearded as I once tried to believe and I don't want to be buried with hundreds of unused DE blades lol.

I got maybe 800+ too. Not addicted but I remember there was some online shop that sold Sharks in 300 packs for the price of a 4 pack of gillette fusions. So had to get 2:) . Have some other 100 packs too. I think it is nice to know that I will always have blades and blades can not go rancid like some soap can.

Buying 40 years worth of blades upfront can save you a few thousand as opposed if you were a regular cartridge user over that period. Now you can justify that new Mac you want to buy.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
this is a timely and important question for the ages (especially as I am considering buying more)... first how do we calculate ? is there an agreed upon method?

I don’t want to count!! :punk::punk:

But I am well set for the duration.
Buying 40 years worth of blades upfront can save you a few thousand as opposed if you were a regular cartridge user over that period. Now you can justify that new Mac you want to buy.
True, blades ARE so cheap. This is a part of our hobby that makes it so much better than being a cartridge user. All the money saved can go into other great items like soaps and razors. And brushes too.....

I've heard of those that collect vintage tucks with all their diversity of brand and graphics and I could see that being attractive from a collecting standpoint...though most of them wouldn't be in shape to be actually used.
And I could see collecting a diversity of modern tucks to try out the many offerings...
But collecting hundreds, even thousands of modern blades in bulk?
I only hope you're storing them in environmentally favourable conditions.
Once you get beyond a five year supply I think you're in danger of being committed!

I have almost 1500 blades. If I have to have an addiction this is a good one. It's inexpensive, doesn't take up room, and isn't hard to manage.

I've got roughly 1000 and see no reason to stop. Cheap, last and take up no room.

The wife just bought 2 years of toilet paper. Some don't get that but I cant see us not needing it. Hoarding or just economical?

If you absolutely NEED that much toilet paper, should you be out shopping for it? :001_tt2:

It is nice to have an assortment of blades to choose from. Some blades work "better" in some razors and are not so good in others, eh? Finding nice matches with blades and razors is part of the fun of this hobby.

I don't have many, between 100 - 200. I don't buy 100 packs. Or 50 at a time of a blade either. I enjoy using several brands (GSB, Nacet, Personna Red & Blue, Astra SP), so I always have several tucks of each. I'm set for a year or two.

I 'stock up' for 2 reasons.

1. I've had really nice shaving products disappear from the market place on me so if I expect the same may happen again I stock up.

2. I've gotten an incredible deal ( think 200 blades I really like for $8 ).

Case 1: when I read about the Personna production moving from Nazareth to Germany next year I grabbed 100 Red IPs 'just in case'. I had just placed an order for 30 about a month before when I had run out. 130 would last me about
3.5 years so it's not a lifetime supply, but I like them enough I wanted some on hand.

Case 2: I picked up almost 400 Super Max Blue Diamond Titaniums for less than $20. I like these blades enough that I could happily use them every day if I needed to. I'll probably see if I can donate some to the Great Blade Exchange as 400 blades should last me 10 years of every day shaving.

Since I could probably store all the blades I own in 2 shoeboxes, and I probably spent less than what I spend on cable tv for a few months on them all I don't worry about it much.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have, realistically, a lifetime supply. I joined B&B and won a PIF of 50!!! GSB blades from Highspeedlane almost immediately after joining. Talk about finding arguably the best blade first! I bought a razor from Razorock and got my first taste of a free Derby tuck. Worth every penny I didn't pay for it, lol. Others on here have PIF'd me blades, recently some Astra SS. Also some Silver Star.

Long story short: I get at least 10 shaves, easily 40 from some, and I have close to 200 total blades. I'm 57 years old. Not in great health. Those blades will far outlive me, or by the end of my days someone else will be shaving me, lol. So I can't justify buying any more blades.

As for aftershave: I have enough vintage Avon packed away for roughly 2000 years. But..... aftershave lotions are my weakness. I will continue to give the War Department reason to do battle with me until one of us dies. I will never, NEVER give up! They will continue to sneak into my home until my dying breath! (or she makes me sleep in the crawlspace...)

Top Bottom