What's new

Blacklands Sabre in Hand. Classy & Elegant Presentation.....

Well said Gus and exactly how I feel. I do have a couple of Timeless Razors and as far as efficiency the L2 Sabre is not as efficient as the .95 OC but without doing a side by side comparison I’d say it’s similar to my .68 OC and that would make a interesting shave comparison I may have to do. :a17:

Well said Gus and exactly how I feel. I do have a couple of Timeless Razors and as far as efficiency the L2 Sabre is not as efficient as the .95 OC but without doing a side by side comparison I’d say it’s similar to my .68 OC and that would make a interesting shave comparison I may have to do. :a17:

Thanks amigo. I was wondering when you were going to chime in.....:punk:

Pulled out the Sabre L2 tonight. As expected great BBS 3 pass shave. Almost forgot what a Great shaver this is. Smooth and clean

I haven’t shaved with mine in a while also cause Ive been trying out a bunch of newcomers to the den so I better pull mine out and have a shave. I do really like the Sabre especially with the L2 plate. My favorite Gem blade razor and yes it's now pasted up the MMOC as my best Gem blade razor.

Just a revival on this thread.

I hadn’t shaved with this piece of art in some time. Been busy with the $1 razor challenge but I saw the Sabre in it’s stand and I just had to shave with it today. All I can say is WOW! This is just a smooth operator that delivers a fine shave every time I use it. A fantastic 2.5 pass shave that left my face feeling smooth, clean and refreshed. The GEM SS ptfe blade just absolutely shines in this razor paired with the L2 plate. By far the best GEM razor I own, modern or vintage. And just a sweet looking razor.....

6D6CE9F5-0DC4-401D-AE92-36BC01868A8B.jpeg

Interesting timing, I have my Sabre ready to go for tomorrow's shave and it' been 3-4 weeks since I reached for it.
This was my first SE and it's always smooth and easy.
Looking forward to to tomorrow. Pulled out the TOBS sandalwood and A/S too. Been months for those.

Interesting timing, I have my Sabre ready to go for tomorrow's shave and it' been 3-4 weeks since I reached for it.
This was my first SE and it's always smooth and easy.
Looking forward to to tomorrow. Pulled out the TOBS sandalwood and A/S too. Been months for those.
Happy shaves amigo.... :thumbsup:

I have to agree with GlazedBoker on the Sabre. It is indeed the smoothest Gem on the market, although I'd like to give an honorable mention to the SE-G. Whenever I have multiple days growth, the SE-G is the one I grab.

I have to agree with GlazedBoker on the Sabre. It is indeed the smoothest Gem on the market, although I'd like to give an honorable mention to the SE-G. Whenever I have multiple days growth, the SE-G is the one I grab.

I find the L2 Sabre to be a very smooth shave. I generally pick closeness over smoothness, however, and thus generally reach for the Rocnel SE-G when in a modern Gem state of mind.

I find the L2 Sabre to be a very smooth shave. I generally pick closeness over smoothness, however, and thus generally reach for the Rocnel SE-G when in a modern Gem state of mind.

Agreed. That’s the trade off between the two razors. The Sabre has the smoothness and the Rocnel has a bit more efficiency. I’m going to revisit the Rocnel again. It left an impression on me that if I would have had a few more shaves with it, I’d of had that razor figured out.

Agreed. That’s the trade off between the two razors. The Sabre has the smoothness and the Rocnel has a bit more efficiency. I’m going to revisit the Rocnel again. It left an impression on me that if I would have had a few more shaves with it, I’d of had that razor figured out.
Yes, it happened to me too, the SE-G needs time to master, but after that, I noticed I can go back to it after a long absence without having to re-master it again. The trick is no weight, treat it like a str8.

Decided to change up my razor for today but, still stayed with a Blackland. Yes, the Sabre with the L2 base plate. Just an excellent smooth, and efficient shave that was done in 2.5 passes. I had used the Blackland Dart for 4 shaves and it definitely has more blade feel plus the efficiency is ramped up a notch or two but in a good way. The Sabre is more tame yet still can bring an amazingly close shave without blinking an eye. My favorite GEM style razor, though the GEM Clog-Pruf & GEM Contour SE follow very closely behind with a big honorable mention to the Wilkinson Pall Mall (modified to take GEM blades). It’s a great time to be a wetshaver......

6433E48F-C318-450A-B696-CE44B136E5E8.jpeg

GEM Contour SE follow very closely behind

The G bar was my favorite, basically the same as the Contour with a different weird handle. They don't quite require the shallow angle of the MMOC and Clog Pruf. Since cracking the MMOC code, the G bar is not efficient enough for me now. The Clog Pruf still works and is a favorite.

@Dragonsbeard reviewed the L2 as a tad less efficient than the MMOC, which should put it in Clog Pruf range.

While you can easily change handles, I didn't like how handle heavy the Sabre is. I only used the L1 thanks to Frank, haven't tried the L2.

I like the wide AC blade, GEMs don't get much attention at this time, but I have plenty of GEM blades to use up, and I will use them.

The G bar was my favorite, basically the same as the Contour with a different weird handle. They don't quite require the shallow angle of the MMOC and Clog Pruf. Since cracking the MMOC code, the G bar is not efficient enough for me now. The Clog Pruf still works and is a favorite.

@Dragonsbeard reviewed the L2 as a tad less efficient than the MMOC, which should put it in Clog Pruf range.

While you can easily change handles, I didn't like how handle heavy the Sabre is. I only used the L1 thanks to Frank, haven't tried the L2.

I like the wide AC blade, GEMs don't get much attention at this time, but I have plenty of GEM blades to use up, and I will use them.

To be honest, if the Sabre was not around the Clog-Pruf would be my favorite. It strikes the best combination and balance between efficiency and smoothness of the Vintage GEM’s that I have tried. The MMOC is definitely the master of the whole GEM line in terms of efficiency, but just a tad less smoother than the Clog-Pruf.

The dark horse here is the Wilkinson Pall Mall Wedge razor. Though the one I have was modified to accept GEM style blades, thanks to @imatabor, whom I acquired the razor from, the adjustable roller bar makes it a fantastic shaver. Move the bar out, very mild feeling shave. Bring it in and it’s as efficient as most any razor out there. Great shaver.

The Contour is just a nice looking razor and is fairly efficient. Nowhere near the MMOC or the MMCP but, it gets the job done. Plus I like the all S/S back handle as it progresses down the whole length of the razor and the simple push-button is just that, simple and ingenious.

The Sabre with the L2 is a very nice feeling razor with good efficiency and excellent smoothness. Not in the MMOC’s class in terms of efficiency but, it gets it in smoothness and is as easy to use, I think. The MMCP is the one that gives the Sabre with L2 a run for it’s money and arguably could be the better shaver. But, I give the edge to the Sabre because of it’s more contemporary design and materials used in its construction. That’s just me though.

If you ever wanted to try the Sabre and L2, just drop me a pm. I don’t mind if you want to take it for a spin.....

Decided to change up my razor for today but, still stayed with a Blackland. Yes, the Sabre with the L2 base plate. Just an excellent smooth, and efficient shave that was done in 2.5 passes. I had used the Blackland Dart for 4 shaves and it definitely has more blade feel plus the efficiency is ramped up a notch or two but in a good way. The Sabre is more tame yet still can bring an amazingly close shave without blinking an eye. My favorite GEM style razor, though the GEM Clog-Pruf & GEM Contour SE follow very closely behind with a big honorable mention to the Wilkinson Pall Mall (modified to take GEM blades). It’s a great time to be a wetshaver......

View attachment 899845
I take it that you like the Gem Contour
It's one of the few Gem razors that I
Have never used before, no matter how
Hard or long I searched I could never
Find one person saying a good word
About that razor and a positive review
Seemed to be super long-Shot

To be honest, if the Sabre was not around the Clog-Pruf would be my favorite. It strikes the best combination and balance between efficiency and smoothness of the Vintage GEM’s that I have tried. The MMOC is definitely the master of the whole GEM line in terms of efficiency, but just a tad less smoother than the Clog-Pruf.

The dark horse here is the Wilkinson Pall Mall Wedge razor. Though the one I have was modified to accept GEM style blades, thanks to @imatabor, whom I acquired the razor from, the adjustable roller bar makes it a fantastic shaver. Move the bar out, very mild feeling shave. Bring it in and it’s as efficient as most any razor out there. Great shaver.

The Contour is just a nice looking razor and is fairly efficient. Nowhere near the MMOC or the MMCP but, it gets the job done. Plus I like the all S/S back handle as it progresses down the whole length of the razor and the simple push-button is just that, simple and ingenious.

The Sabre with the L2 is a very nice feeling razor with good efficiency and excellent smoothness. Not in the MMOC’s class in terms of efficiency but, it gets it in smoothness and is as easy to use, I think. The MMCP is the one that gives the Sabre with L2 a run for it’s money and arguably could be the better shaver. But, I give the edge to the Sabre because of it’s more contemporary design and materials used in its construction. That’s just me though.

If you ever wanted to try the Sabre and L2, just drop me a pm. I don’t mind if you want to take it for a spin.....
To me the Sabre is not very attractive
Its mainly the head styling from the side
View you can see the spine of the blade
None of classic Gems have that problem,
at it's best it is IMHO Visually Shody.

I take it that you like the Gem Contour
It's one of the few Gem razors that I
Have never used before, no matter how
Hard or long I searched I could never
Find one person saying a good word
About that razor and a positive review
Seemed to be super long-Shot