What's new

Blacklands Sabre in Hand. Classy & Elegant Presentation.....

It just works so well for me, the Sabre that is. The L2 plate with the GEM SS ptfe blade is just super smooth yet nicely efficient. It is without question my favorite GEM bladed razor of the few that I have in my collection (Contour, Bullit Tip, Pall Mall-modified to take GEM blades, Micromatic) and it has never failed me in giving consistently good shaves from day 1. I can’t speak for the Vestige by Atelier Durdan nor the WR3-GEM by Wolfman as I’ve never tried those but, as of the time since I’ve owned this razor (almost 6 years, give or take) there hasn’t been a better razor in this class for me.

Until something else comes along and the other aforementioned two prove otherwise, the Sabre is the King of contemporary GEM razors in the post 60’s era. Of course as always, it’s just my opinion and YMMV.

6FFE20FF-00F7-4C07-BE9F-7AD246ED27D7.jpeg

@GlazedBoker - in your opinion, what puts the Blackland Sabre ahead of a GEM Micromatic (Open comb or closed) in terms of easy of use and/or performance?

I'm really curious to know if you can objectively determine a performance difference between the mass produced GEMs and the boutqie Blacklands.

The Micromatic is a very nice razor no doubt. However, the shaves are much smoother to me, with the modern designs. More comfortable ATG for sure. So, yes I do get a performance difference with the CNC machined GEM razors.

@GlazedBoker - in your opinion, what puts the Blackland Sabre ahead of a GEM Micromatic (Open comb or closed) in terms of easy of use and/or performance?

I'm really curious to know if you can objectively determine a performance difference between the mass produced GEMs and the boutqie Blacklands.

You took my statement based upon my own experience and assumed that the Sabre was a better razor over the GEM Micromatic, closed & open. I never said such a thing. What I said was that the Sabre was my favorite of the few GEM bladed based razors that I own. The GEMS shave arguably just as good and perhaps with the OC version offer a bit more blade feel and efficiency in use.

For me, I’ve found the Sabre to give equal shave results with an easier way of achieving those results with almost DE like attributes and qualities. To me, aesthetically it’s more pleasing to my eye with its angular look that has a retro aspect to it. It’s superior in blade clamping & rigidity not that the GEMS don’t offer good blade rigidity because they do but, I like seeing that top cap and bottom plate of the Sabre sandwich the crap out of that blade. Craftsmanship is equal if not better with arguably a superior alloy used in its make up.

Trust me, I’m not knocking the GEM family of razors as they offer fantastic shave results for those that enjoy GEM blades razors. I like and enjoy my Sabre more.

Happy shaves amigo…. :shaving:

It’s superior in blade clamping & rigidity not that the GEMS don’t offer good blade rigidity because they do but, I like seeing that top cap and bottom plate of the Sabre sandwich the crap out of that blade.

Precisely this. The clamping and control of the blade edge makes modern GEMs supremely smooth. There is no buttering toast sound with the Sabre or Wolfman. It's much quieter, with zero vibration of the blade in my experience.

I have a bunch of vintage GEMs - Featherweights, Natural Angles, Ever Readys, Micromatics, Streamline etc and none of them give me the same shave performance as the new razors.

Top Bottom