What's new

Blacklands Sabre in Hand. Classy & Elegant Presentation.....

Just got it today Gents..... Shave coming up shortly. It really is a beautiful razor, more so in person. Fabulous finish and attention to detail and craftsmanship......
IMG_0808.JPG
IMG_0809.JPG
IMG_0811.JPG
IMG_0812.JPG
IMG_0814.JPG

My first take and quick impression on this razor:

It is a very finely done and crafted razor, no doubt about it. The tin container that it comes in is very classy and elegant and is packaged very nicely and securely. The tolerances are just superb with no play whatsoever in the handle, top plate and base plate attachment. The thread stud does look a little on the thin side, but it has a robust coarse thread that should hold up well. Even with those who have 2 left hands....

I got in a very good 3 pass, nearly BBS shave first time out. This is my first GEM style blade razor and I have no regrets on purchasing it. The razor and blade performed flawlessly together giving me a very smooth and efficient shave from ear to ear. Shave angle was extremely intuitive and easy to attain and maintain throughout the shave. I will say that it is on the mild side, sort of Brass General like. I thought it would be heavier in the hands, but it was not. It is very well balanced and weighted. I also felt that it moved across my face effortlessly and felt very nimble. Where as the Brass General is wider and covers more area, the Sabre is narrower but much easier to work around those tough spots like under the nose, stache and corners of the lips. Very nice.
Overall a very good quality shave without a single nic, cut or weeper and not a shred of irritation. I think Blacklands got this one spot on.I will get a few more shaves in to get an overall better feel for it, but so far so good. I'm extremely happy with my purchase and as they say, this one's a keeper. I included a couple of pics for size comparison below. From left to right: '63 Gillette Slim, Blacklands Sabre, Parker Variant.....

IMG_0833.JPG
IMG_0834.JPG

proxy.php

Don't want to hijack your thread but had to pitch in and say that this is a great looking razor and we'll made. And a great shave, I will say very easy to shave with and comparable to Oneblade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

proxy.php

Don't want to hijack your thread but had to pitch in and say that this is a great looking razor and we'll made. And a great shave, I will say very easy to shave with and comparable to Oneblade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No problem at all. And yes, you are right. It's as easy (almost) as a OneBlade. Very intuitive and easy to maneuver.

Congrats that's a great looking razor! Interesting groves on the handle. If it's shaves similar to a brass General then it's got to be a good shaver. Sold out already.

Gus, after you've got it dialed in, we may need to arrange a temporary swap of my Rocnel for your Sabre. As I suspected, you report that the Sabre has a "mild" flavor. I don't get a mild feel from the Rocnel, but only comparing will yield the truth for the individual user. That Sabre is a beauty, by the way!

Gus, after you've got it dialed in, we may need to arrange a temporary swap of my Rocnel for your Sabre. As I suspected, you report that the Sabre has a "mild" flavor. I don't get a mild feel from the Rocnel, but only comparing will yield the truth for the individual user. That Sabre is a beauty, by the way!
Now that sounds like a plan. Yes, it is on the mild side but the shave was very efficient. It's extremely intuitive and getting the angle is nearly instantaneous. Almost as easy as a OneBlade to be honest. Pretty darn good shave, and it's just a beauty to look at....

2nd shave in today with this Beauty, and even better than yesterday's shave. The GEM blade felt smoother for some reason and the 3 pass shave was super butter smooth and efficient. Near BBS again minus a couple of spots around the throat area. But that has always been a bit of a problem area for me with any razor to be honest. It was good enough, not worth chasing. Anyone can grab this razor and be shaving with it like a pro. Almost OneBlade like, and I'm not blowing smoke up anyone's Waa-Zoo neither. Just an elegant razor that gives a smooth and clean shave. This is getting better. Oh, and I like this GEM blade thing. The S/S PTFE coated blade is just really good. I've been pleasantly surprised by it's performance.
IMG_0835.JPG

How it is ( razor + blade ) in comparisson with AC modern like Asylum, ATT SE , general etc ?
That's a different platform altogether my friend. But, I will try to paint a picture as best as I can. I only own 2 SE's with the AC style blade, the Asylum Rx & the Brass General. I tried an Ikon El Jefe from a generous member who lent it to me, and that was a great razor also. I have an RR Hawk DLC S/S razor on it's way, so I'm eager to try that once it's here.

As for the shave quality comparing both platforms. I personally love an aggressive razor with good blade feel and exposure. In my experience I get a smoother, cleaner and less irritating shave with one as I only have to perform 2 passes. BBS practically every time. My Rx does that consistently, 9 out of 10 shaves.
The Ikon El Jefe, even with it's alignment issues, once aligned properly and set is practically an equal to the Rx. And even better is the El Jefe almost acts like an adjustable razor. It can go from mildly aggressive to King of the Jungle wild depending on how you align the cap and base relative to which AC blade you are using. Great shaver. Nod to the Rx based on weight & balance. Nicer too.
Now here is where my first state of confusion began and created a conundrum. The Brass General. An absolutely mild but so efficient razor. Why it confused me? I related blade exposure, gap and razor head design as superior facets in delivering an aggressive but relatively smooth and very close shave. Taking into account also blade sharpness and quality. The General blew that thought process of mine right out of the water. It is simply one of the best AC style razors made that mows down hair as well as the previous 2 that I mentioned, but does it so smoothly and with hardly any blade feel it just changed the way I thought about shaving altogether. I can get a 2 pass BBS with a Super Pro in it, and it rivals the finish of my Rx and El Jefe. Yes, that good. Again, that's my experience. I speak for no one else. It's an amazing razor. Everyone should try it once....

Now the Blacklands Sabre paired with the GEM PTFE S/S blade. It shaves very General like with excellent smoothness and efficiency. The razor locks in on the blade with a vault like grip, and it is as solid and secure as any razor I've used. I have 2 shaves with it so far, and I've performed a traditional 3 pass shave both times. I'd say uh oh, looks like some slight irritation coming my way. As I stated before, for me less passes equals less irritation. Well surprise, surprise. Not a hint of irritation with the Sabre. I probably can get a 2 pass shave with it, but it does not concern me at all. The razor and blade combo is as easy and intuitive a shave tool can be. Almost OneBlade like to honest. Mild yes, but very efficient and good on the face.
One thing I will point out is this. The AC style blades cover more shaving area than the GEM type blades, allowing nice, long and smooth strokes and fewer passes. But, it is a bit cumbersome to work around the tough spots like under the nose and corners of the mouth. Not a big deal, but a bit more care is needed when going to those areas. The GEM on the other hand is narrower and doesn't cover as much real estate, but is much easier to maneuver and is perfect for those tough spots I mentioned before. And even though the Sabre is made from stainless, it does not feel heavy, so it kind of races around your face with ease. The rigidity of the GEM blade is a pleasant surprise. No skipping or deflection when gliding over the face, it just cuts through hair with very little noise or feedback, very quiet a la General. Another mild razor that is deceptively efficient and smooth. The GEM blade works, and it works well. I don't have enough shaves in to compare durability and such, but more shaves are coming...
Hope this didn't throw you off or confuse you. This is just as best as I can explain what your question is asking. Hope it helps.....:001_cool:

Great explanation, Gus. Thanks for taking the time to post that. Sounds like a heck of a great razor, and it sure looks like a beauty.

Top Bottom