What's new

Blackland vector

Yes, it's great!

Blackland's SE razors are the only safety razor style SE's I own and for a reason.

I've also used the titanium Paradigm SE, but I much prefer the vector. I found the paradigm to be too mild.

Yes, it's great!

Blackland's SE razors are the only safety razor style SE's I own and for a reason.

I've also used the titanium Paradigm SE, but I much prefer the vector. I found the paradigm to be too mild.

Im thinking of placing a pre- order.

Ive only heard good things about this razor.

Is the handle a bit too long though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Vector is the razor I most enjoy using from the 40 or so DE and SE models I own (and the maybe 40 others I have tried at some time). It's not just that it gives a great shave, because I can get results just as good from many other razors. I like it because it gives these great results without fuss, yet I can still appreciate that I'm wielding an extremely sharp blade; it feels well balanced and substantial in my hand, but isn't at all heavy or clunky; it's well made and should long outlast me; and I like the look of the design — a lot. The handle sits well with the head, to me, but that's very subjective.

The Vector is one razor I've always wanted to try. Never seen a bad review on it, super slim like an injector, which should make it idea for getting a close shave up around the nose and nostrils, with minimal fuss. - Only, negative for me is yet another blade format to buy, already having a stock pile of DE, Injector, GEM, and FHS blades. (Not to mention the KAI BEST blades that don't want to insert into my OneBlade, being a hair too big).

Its 92mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup!
However it doesn't feel that long to me since the head of the razor is so small. A 92mm handle on a DE would be a deal breaker for me since I hate long handles. The vector feels like any other DE with an 85mm handle in terms of length.

Edit: Just measured the entire razor and it measures about 98mm.

The Vector is the razor I most wish that I had bought - instead of lots of other double and single edge razors. Not that I'm unhappy with the razors I have, but I believe that the Vector would suit me well and that eventually I'll wind up buying it despite the nearly $200 price tag. Next up for me, however, is the Classic Shaving Enoch. Maybe it will make me forget about wanting a Vector, but I somehow doubt it.

I received my polished Vector this morning, and this was the first time I've used an AC-style safety razor in several years. I have a couple Schick Prolines on hand, as well as one Kai Titan ProTouch. I just placed an order with TryAblade for a Feather Professional, Feather Pro Super***, Feather Pro Guard, Kai Captain Original and Kai Captain Sharpblade. First shave an hour ago was with a Proline.

I planned a typical 2+ pass shave. I went super light on the touch, as I am wont to do with a new razor/blade setup, much less a format that is largely foreign to me.

First (WTG) pass was intuitive as far as angle of attack; zero thought here, and as smooth as any sharp blade on my face has ever been. Good audible feedback.

Second (ATG) pass likewise, zero issues with light touch. Almost imperceptible pressure applied by sheer necessity of gliding the Vector upward. Quick face rinse, and my cheeks & neck as sooth as glass. As per usual, my problem areas, chin and mustache area (especially the latter where my stubble grows down as opposed to out), needed more work.

I applied more lather to the problem areas and buffed as I usually do. Here is where I had some issues, perhaps technique related. I was still reluctant to apply much pressure on my buffing strokes. I re-applied lather on these areas and re-buffed three more times, no exaggeration. I stopped while these areas were not quite DFS, in my estimation.

It's obvious to me that my second attempt needs to be more free-wheeling, with some pressure applied the first two passes, especially on my problem areas.

I want to be clear that while the result was not what one would hope, the in-shave experience was terrific. The Vector, a much lighter razor than I am used to using, was a joy to hold and maneuver. It's also quite the looker, IMO, something I appreciate as an admirer of design in general.

I have a titanium 92mmx11mm, 36g Tradere-esque handle by Stork on the way, and my plan is to try it with the Vector as the somewhat elongated neck should work aesthetically with the compact Vector head. I also just tend to prefer handles with knurling, no casting of aspersions at all regarding Shane's handle design.

I think I'm gonna have some fun, and eventually terrific shaves, with the Vector.

-------

***my last attempt with an AC razor involved a Feather Super....not great, buuuut, my first shave made me open up to the thought a Super might have some symbiosis with the Vector. Only way to know is to try.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I received my polished Vector this morning, and this was the first time I've used an AC-style safety razor in several years. I have a couple Schick Prolines on hand, as well as one Kai Titan ProTouch.

+1 on liking handles with knurling!

The Prolines require a warrior-level of Razor-Fu, which I am only intermittently able to summon.

Thanks for the review! I will probably put a Vector in the mix when I dive back into AC later this year. I`m sufficiently on the fence about the design philosophy that the only way to get off is to saddle one up and take it for a ride.

O.H.

I’ve owned my vector about a month now, I started with an ATT SE1 and still love it. Moving on to the vector improves on the attributes of the SE blade working on minimizing its short comings. Which by the way are very few compared to the benefits of a single edge shave for my taste. Its much lighter at the head so I have much more control on contact pressure, also it’s much smaller at the head which makes the shave easier around the nose area. the geometry of head design seems to find the perfect angle on face immediately and all this equates to one of the best shaves for me. I’ve spent money on equipment and have been dissipated but I can honestly say this razor is worth the money hands down.

Short & sweet: Third use this morning, and I already have this thing dialed-in. BBS, zero nicks, zero weepers, zero burn.

I'm a little taken aback, to be honest. I really didn't "get" SE in general, and AC-style in particular, in the past. Previous experience wasn't particularly impressive. Now? I love the rigidity of the AC blade. This format seems perfect for me. To me, blade chatter is the worst. While there are of course DE razors that provide the requisite blade clamping, I am contemplating my shaving life using only SE.

Of course this is after I've purchased ~400 blades the last 30 days (and waiting on my 250 Wizamets to arrive), which I know is a laughably small amount to certain men's standards, LOL. Anyway, I'm probably being reactionary. I'll go back to wanting a bit of diversity soon, I expect. For now though, I am loving AC life with the Vector.

A full week with the Vector and I remain smitten. I used it with a new titanium handle (~36g; similar dimensions as stock handle) received from Stork for my Saturday shave.

proxy.php

Just started using it a little over a week ago. My first and hopefully last SE safety razor. I figured buy the best first and don't chase the tail looking for the next best thing! Its taking a little getting used to, having come from decades of dual blade disposables and quick, get it done, shaves before work. I'm taking my time with the Vector.
The Vector is well crafted, very comfortable, nimble, and absolutely beautiful.
20200304_154759.jpg

A full week with the Vector and I remain smitten. I used it with a new titanium handle (~36g; similar dimensions as stock handle) received from Stork for my Saturday shave.

proxy.php
I’m very tempted by this razor. It looks fantastic with this handle.

Is the best shave angle with the Vector leaning more towards the guard (steeper angle) or the towards the top (shallower angle)? I've tried both and in between, but I'm not getting a very smooth movement of the razor. Too shallow and I feel like I'm pulling out the hair, too steep and the razor seems to bind up (getting stuck against the skin) and not remove very much stubble. This is with one day growth and mostly with the first WTG pass.
Second XTG and third WTG passes are much smoother. I'm getting a good shave, but there is some irritation with the first pass.

Top Bottom