What's new

Blackland Vector vs Sabre (looking for info on Sabre before buying)

I love my vector and so tempted to pick up Sabre for my birthday, this weekend. Trying to keep it under $200 but not picking up the matching Sabre stand feels like a crime.

How thick is the Sabre handle? Wondering if I can fit it into any of my existing stands.

I love my Sabre. The only downside is above my lip. What’s good advice on conquering under the nostrils? Currently I have been tag teaming it with my Vector, which is fantastic above the lip.

I love my Sabre. The only downside is above my lip. What’s good advice on conquering under the nostrils? Currently I have been tag teaming it with my Vector, which is fantastic above the lip.
Same issue here with the Sabre but if I just do the normal N->S in the lip area followed by a E->W and W->E it does a really good job cleaning it up. I just go really slow under the nose.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I can't say about the Vector, but DANG I like the Sabre!

I've been looking for a Gem-ish razor that shaves close, clean and smooth. I won't say I've tried every Gem/ASR/Gem-ish out there, but I've used lather catchers (Kampfe Star and Gem Junior Bar), 1912 pattern (Gem Damaskeene), later 1912 variants, the 1914 Ever Ready ("Little Lather Catcher"), MMOC, and newer Gem-ish like PAA Starling V2OC, ATT G1 variants, and now the Sabre. I like 'em all but some of them just don't make me transcendently happy.

This thing blows my doors off. My usual arc with a Gem blade is Shaves 1 & 2 are darn sharp, even prone to nicks in some razors. Shaves 3 & 4 are the smoothest in the blade, and Shaves 5 & 6 are still plenty good but beginning to peak. That's two weeks of shaving for me, normally.

I picked up both the L1 and L2 plates. It's the most expensive razor I've ever bought for myself. The Feather shavette that I bought my son last year for his university graduation was more expensive, but I don't get to play with it.

So far I'm still on L1. Next blade I'll double-clutch, blip the throttle, and shift 'er up to L2.

O.H.

I have many Gem razors, from the mild G-Bar to the MMOC. I cannot get a smooth and irritation free shave from any of them. Because of that, I don’t use them often, unless I shave in the evening and have plenty of Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm on hand. Knowing my history with Gems, I am hesitant to purchase a Sabre. Any thoughts?

Old Hippie

Knowing my history with Gems, I am hesitant to purchase a Sabre. Any thoughts?

That was me, too. I had to really think about it, like for two years or more. I finally decided to take the gamble, partially due to having a little extra cash laid by and doing some consulting work that paid me enough to feel like pulling the string.

It felt like it was OK to do extra work to get some cash to do something that seemed like a luxury. I'd still be on the fence if I was going to take it out of savings. I'm of Scottish ancestry and my parents survived the Depression; I tend to be cheap a lot of the time. But not always!

May I make a friendly suggestion? I know Shane has a 30-day return policy. If you order one, I'd say get both plates for it. Bring it home and try it out. If it isn't all you want after three weeks, then send it back.

I was and am pleased by it. More than I thought I would be -- after all it's "just" a Gem-style razor. It's a Gem-style razor that's had some serious thought put into it. I can't tell you what to do, but I can suggest that you may like me be surprised. The return offer makes it easy to try, and I also understand if you feel (like me) that if you buy one you will really want to like it.

O.H.

Based on a day's worth of reading, I think it would be a tough call between these two razors. Right now I would lean towards the Vector for myself simply because I've had minor issues with GEM blades before after the first couple of shaves (might be the coating, not sure); also, because I'm really digging my Hawk right now and would love an AC razor with a smaller head.

Old Hippie

It IS a tough call, no mistake. Even if you're planning to try it on for size, that's still a certain amount of money you have to dedicate to it.

I'm sure we've all had experience with purchasing things that didn't work out the way we hoped. But let me say that I'm really, really glad I took the plunge. I wouldn't have been ready for this razor right off the hop. But I can sure appreciate it now!

I was kinda considering a Vector, but I've been looking at the Sabre longer and I find Gem style to be a little more congenial to my needs. I've now got some other AC razors that are letting me explore that space a bit -- I may possibly think a little more seriously about the Vector after I've really learned all their quirks (like I learned a lot of quirks with Gem razors before buying the Sabre). On the other hand, I may not. I have been fortunate to finally get a razor that does not leave me thinking that maybe another one would address some of the things that annoy me.

Plus, you don't want to be like the mule that starved to death between two piles of hay! Take a deep breath and jump (if it's not going to cause your wallet to auto-combust). I don't think I've ever caught myself daydreaming about shaving.

Until now.

O.H.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Based on a day's worth of reading, I think it would be a tough call between these two razors. Right now I would lean towards the Vector for myself simply because I've had minor issues with GEM blades before after the first couple of shaves (might be the coating, not sure); also, because I'm really digging my Hawk right now and would love an AC razor with a smaller head.
It IS a tough call, no mistake. Even if you're planning to try it on for size, that's still a certain amount of money you have to dedicate to it.

I'm sure we've all had experience with purchasing things that didn't work out the way we hoped. But let me say that I'm really, really glad I took the plunge. I wouldn't have been ready for this razor right off the hop. But I can sure appreciate it now!

I was kinda considering a Vector, but I've been looking at the Sabre longer and I find Gem style to be a little more congenial to my needs. I've now got some other AC razors that are letting me explore that space a bit -- I may possibly think a little more seriously about the Vector after I've really learned all their quirks (like I learned a lot of quirks with Gem razors before buying the Sabre). On the other hand, I may not. I have been fortunate to finally get a razor that does not leave me thinking that maybe another one would address some of the things that annoy me.

Plus, you don't want to be like the mule that starved to death between two piles of hay! Take a deep breath and jump (if it's not going to cause your wallet to auto-combust). I don't think I've ever caught myself daydreaming about shaving.

Until now.

O.H.

Both the @Blackland Razors Vector and Sabre are incredibly great razors. There is only one rational solution to this dilemma: Get both of them. :)

You won't be sorry. :)

Top Bottom