What's new

Blackland Vector vs Sabre (looking for info on Sabre before buying)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I know it will sound crazy but I am almost relieved to hear that the Blackbird is going to be hard to match as far as closeness goes. Not just with the Sabre or Vector but pretty much any razor.

It has honestly taken the pressure of me to try to make every razor match the shave and closeness of the Blackbird. The last 3-4 shaves have just been about enjoying the shaving experience not matter what razor I am using. As someone who just got into this as a hobby, it has been a real good learning experience.
I gave up the quest for BBS at the beginning of 2020 and have not looked back. :)

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
It has honestly taken the pressure off me to try to make every razor match the shave and closeness of the Blackbird. The last 3-4 shaves have just been about enjoying the shaving experience not matter what razor I am using. As someone who just got into this as a hobby, it has been a real good learning experience.

Good attitude, Brother. I originally started out looking for the shave I used to get. Well, I got that figured. Then it was about exploring other formats, some of them a bit quirky. I discovered that some of them give me good shaves as well, so bonus. So I got interested in vintage, and picked up a couple older razors and a couple lather catchers.

Then I got interested in my favourite quirk, slants. There are still slants out there I want to try. I've been exploring AC in more depth lately, while beavering away very slowly on a brass helical slant project that is teaching me a lot. It remains to be seen whether I can get it across the finish line. Taking some time off from that to work on another copper handle project. Hours of filing, or minutes on the lathe? Don't have a lathe, so I guess I know what I'm going to do...

I keep looking for the razor that will shave my worst spot without irritation. That's keeping life interesting for now. Got a Sabre on the way, which is the proximate cause of the new handle [grin] because I saw a guy's Sabre with a brass bulldog handle and thought it was cool.

Lotta doors to open up here. If somebody's not enjoyin' where they are, might be time to twist a few doorknobs!

O.H.

if I may ask a somewhat related question... if one prefers a mild DE razor like say the Feather AS-D2 and wants to explore one of these SE's... which of these (Blackland Vector or Sabre) would be considered a good choice?

if I may ask a somewhat related question... if one prefers a mild DE razor like say the Feather AS-D2 and wants to explore one of these SE's... which of these (Blackland Vector or Sabre) would be considered a good choice?

The Sabre L1 is the mildest. Sabre L2 and Vector are similar. With the Vector you can also use milder guarded blades if you want to dial the shave back to something closer to the Sabre L1.

As far as smooth shaves go I would think the Sabre would be at the top of my list. The L1 is milder than the L2 as expected.

Despite similar quality of shaves between the Sabre L2 and the Vector they are very different experiences.

Edit: Wanted to add some more info.

Last edited:
thanks for sharing @Blackland Razors, @Fedsbackhand and @fistfullofbeer ... this really helps a lot! Do you find that you gravitate more towards one over the other with regards to the shaving experience (basically is one more user friendly than the other)?
Regarding gravitating to a specific razor, it really comes down to what I am looking for that day.

Sabre is smoother for me but I get slightly closer shaves with the Vector. Not to say the Vector is not smooth but the Sabre is on a different level. I would also add that the Vector was more intuitive for me to use. Probably the most intuitive razor I have ever used. I picked it up and was really able to shave without putting much thought into shaving angles, etc. The fact that I do normally use a steeper shaving angle, may have helped me just be able to naturally use the Vector.

The Sabre on the other hand uses a shallow angle. Had to remember that when I first started since I have never used a razor with such an angle before. That being said, I went with what felt right and was able to get a super smooth shave the first go with the L1. It was so smooth that I did 4 passes without any concern of irritation, cuts, weepers, etc.

Another thing that Shane @Blackland Razors has added a few times is that the GEM blades that the Sabre uses basically sets your choice to one blade. Which may or may not be bad thing since it makes the decision for you. The Vector which uses AC blades leaves the option largely up to you and find which blade may suit the best for your needs.

Probably did not help you much making a choice here .. :)

Regarding gravitating to a specific razor, it really comes down to what I am looking for that day.

Sabre is smoother for me but I get slightly closer shaves with the Vector. Not to say the Vector is not smooth but the Sabre is on a different level. I would also add that the Vector was more intuitive for me to use. Probably the most intuitive razor I have ever used. I picked it up and was really able to shave without putting much thought into shaving angles, etc. The fact that I do normally use a steeper shaving angle, may have helped me just be able to naturally use the Vector.

The Sabre on the other hand uses a shallow angle. Had to remember that when I first started since I have never used a razor with such an angle before. That being said, I went with what felt right and was able to get a super smooth shave the first go with the L1. It was so smooth that I did 4 passes without any concern of irritation, cuts, weepers, etc.

Another thing that Shane @Blackland Razors has added a few times is that the GEM blades that the Sabre uses basically sets your choice to one blade. Which may or may not be bad thing since it makes the decision for you. The Vector which uses AC blades leaves the option largely up to you and find which blade may suit the best for your needs.

Probably did not help you much making a choice here .. :)

Thanks! That's good to know.
Think my "default" shaving style (steep angle like your's) suits the Vector a little more although I've easily adapted to shallow angle when needed.
But then I'm really intrigued by the Sabre with the L1 plate and what it offers... really good choices here :)

Guess it depends what you value more, efficiency or comfort/smoothness. The sabre is a compact unit considering it uses GEM blades, mine is virtually the same size as my Tatara razor. Obviously the Vector is tiny but has the wider blade format.

If you are stuck, why not order one of each? Then return one or keep both.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks! That's good to know.
Think my "default" shaving style (steep angle like your's) suits the Vector a little more although I've easily adapted to shallow angle when needed.
But then I'm really intrigued by the Sabre with the L1 plate and what it offers... really good choices here :)

I have both and enjoy shaving with both - a lot.

The Sabre L2 with a Personna GEM blade and the Vector with a Feather Pro Plus or Schick Proline complement each other really well.

If there is any way for you to get both, you will have the flexibility to really match your shave to your mood.

If you can only get one, the Sabre is the mellower of the two, although you can mellow out the Vector (too much, in my opinion) with a guarded blade.

Several reviews of each throughout this thread (Vector near the end):

YMMV :)

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Dangit! Why did I read this thread?!

"It is useless to resist."
it_is_useless_to_resist____darth_vader_wallpaper_by_tdsod_dbo5q89-pre.jpg

Guess it depends what you value more, efficiency or comfort/smoothness. The sabre is a compact unit considering it uses GEM blades, mine is virtually the same size as my Tatara razor. Obviously the Vector is tiny but has the wider blade format.

If you are stuck, why not order one of each? Then return one or keep both.

That's not a bad idea. For some reason that never crossed my mind :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Independence Day Shave 20200704
20200704_165210~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Sabre L2
Blade: Ted Pella Personna GEM (2)
Brush: Century 7090, 22mm Pure Badger (NOS)
Soap: Zingari Man, 'The Wanderer'
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Post-Shave: Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Post-Shave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave Balm: Zingari Man, 'The Wanderer'
Cologne: Classic Match EdT Spray (Polo clone)

WTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Shaves with the @Blackland Razors Sabre L2 flow so smoothly. Such a relaxing razor to use. And the results are wonderful! Solid DFS++ with minimal touch-up.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200711
20200711_125326~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Vector
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional Super (4)
Brush: @Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive w/24mm Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougère
Post-shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: RazoRock Black
Cologne: Classic Match EdT Spray (clone of Eternity for men)

WTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Absolutely LOVING the Vector!

Very refreshing and satisfying shave! :)

Top Bottom