What's new

Blackland Vector vs Sabre (looking for info on Sabre before buying)

Tempted to buy an L1 plate now. Haha! ugh... 😞😞
You already have the Sabre in L2? Very small sample size but for me the only differences between them is that I can be a lot more aggressive and less attentive with the L1 than the L2. The cost would be that I would need one more pass (atleast) with the L1 to get as close of a shave as the L2.

It's too tempting :) I might just ahead and do it. Someone pull me back from this ledge!

I really think you should buy it just to see how they shave differently. May work better for you.

There you go ... pushed you off the ledge ... oh wait .. you meant pull you back. Sorry .. too late now. :D

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
@fistfullofbeer - Here are my recent @Blackland Razors Sabre and @Blackland Razors Vector shaves:

Shave 20200627
shave 20200627_140453_2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Sabre L2
Blade: Ted Pella Personna GEM (1)
Brush: @Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive w/24mm Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougère
Post-shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Reuzel
Cologne: Classic Match Eau de Toilette Spray, version of Polo

WTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Shave 20200626
shave 20200626_141637_2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Vector
Blade: Schick Proline (1)
Brush: @Rudy Vey AS3M w/25mm Mühle STF Knot
Soap: TOBS Grapefruit
Aftershave: Clubman Osage Rub
Cologne: Pinaud Clubman Lime Sec

Shave 20200624
shave 20200624_155007_2.jpg

Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional Super (2)
Brush: OMEGA Jade 011842 Premium Pure Bristle
Soap: Cella Extra Extra Bio
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

First of all, I really like both razors. They both give very comparable and excellent results. Both are staying in my Den and in my primary rotation. They are both that good.

The Vector, especially with the Feather Pro Super, is more efficient. It is also more nimble and maneuverable.

The Sabre is very comfortable and very easy to use. The weight of the Sabre works in its favor.

To use a metaphor from my car days: Some days I would drive the Jag on the Interstates and enjoy the luxury. Some days I would drive the Porsche or the Alfa on twisting mountain roads and enjoy the rush. Both are legitimate and really enjoyable ways to approach driving. Just depended on my mood. :)

Same with the Sabre and the Vector. Both are outstanding razors. It just depends on what you want out of the shave.

My opinion? Don't deny yourself either one of these great razors. Get both! :)

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

@fistfullofbeer - Here are my recent @Blackland Razors Sabre and @Blackland Razors Vector shaves:

Shave 20200627
View attachment 1118680
Razor: @Blackland Razors Sabre L2
Blade: Ted Pella Personna GEM (1)
Brush: @Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive w/24mm Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave: Reuzel
Cologne: Classic Match Eau de Toilette Spray, version of Polo

Shave 20200626
View attachment 1118681
Blade: Schick Proline (1)
Brush: @Rudy Vey AS3M w/25mm Mühle STF Knot
Soap: TOBS Grapefruit
Aftershave: Clubman Osage Rub
Cologne: Pinaud Clubman Lime Sec

Shave 20200624
View attachment 1118682
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional Super (2)
Brush: OMEGA Jade 011842 Premium Pure Bristle
Soap: Cella Extra Extra Bio
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

First of all, I really like both razors. They both give very comparable and excellent results. Both are staying in my Den and in my primary rotation. They are both that good.

The Vector, especially with the Feather Pro Super, is more efficient. It is also more nimble and maneuverable.

The Sabre is very comfortable and very easy to use. The weight of the Sabre works in its favor.

To use a metaphor from my car days: Some days I would drive the Jag on the Interstates and enjoy the luxury. Some days I would drive the Porsche or the Alfa on twisting mountain roads and enjoy the rush. Both are legitimate and really enjoyable ways to approach driving. Just depended on my mood. :)

Same with the Sabre and the Vector. Both are outstanding razors. It just depends on what you want out of the shave.

My opinion? Don't deny yourself either one of these great razors. Get both! :)

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)
Thanks for taking the time to provide me with the info @never-stop-learning . My experience has similar to yours in the sense that the Vector is more efficient, nimble and maneuverable. The Sabre has a weight and smoothness advantage.

That being said, I think the Blackbird blows them both out of the water as far as closeness is concerned. I can get DFS range with the Vector but the Sabre is not there for me yet. I figured the L2 should be able to make the closeness of the Vector but I am not quite sure why that is not quite happening for me. The Blackbird has given me close to BBS shaves every time I have used it. I know part of it is probably just my technique because I figured the more rigid AC and PFTE blades would work better on my coarse beard. Just have not see that quite yet.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for taking the time to provide me with the info @never-stop-learning . My experience has similar to yours in the sense that the Vector is more efficient, nimble and maneuverable. The Sabre has a weight and smoothness advantage.

That being said, I think the Blackbird blows them both out of the water as far as closeness is concerned. I can get DFS range with the Vector but the Sabre is not there for me yet. I figured the L2 should be able to make the closeness of the Vector but I am not quite sure why that is not quite happening for me. The Blackbird has given me close to BBS shaves every time I have used it. I know part of it is probably just my technique because I figured the more rigid AC and PFTE blades would work better on my coarse beard. Just have not see that quite yet.

The nice thing about shaving is that we get to practice a lot and our technique improves. ;)

@Blackland Razors makes great razors and I enjoy shaving with all of Shane's razors I currently have: Vector, Sabre, Blackbird and Dart. Right now, I seem to be gravitating toward the Vector and Sabre. I have no doubt that I'll cycle back to the Blackbird and the Dart some time soon. :)

The important thing is that you have fun with this journey. :)

Just my opinion. :)

The nice thing about shaving is that we get to practice a lot and our technique improves. ;)

@Blackland Razors makes great razors and I enjoy shaving with all of Shane's razors I currently have: Vector, Sabre, Blackbird and Dart. Right now, I seem to be gravitating toward the Vector and Sabre. I have no doubt that I'll cycle back to the Blackbird and the Dart some time soon. :)

The important thing is that you have fun with this journey. :)

Just my opinion. :)
For sure.

Honestly, I am not chasing BBS. I would be thrilled if I can just get DFS shaves from my razors. I think one of my big challenges is figuring out how my hair grows around the neck. I have tried to figure out that out but its like swirling mess .. LOL. Just need practice. And lots of it.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
For sure.

Honestly, I am not chasing BBS. I would be thrilled if I can just get DFS shaves from my razors. I think one of my big challenges is figuring out how my hair grows around the neck. I have tried to figure out that out but its like swirling mess .. LOL. Just need practice. And lots of it.

I hear you on the beard. Mid-60s, gray, wiry and very chaotic beard.

Patience, good hydration and lather plus a light touch are key to these challenges to get a consistent DFS without nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

My experience has similar to yours in the sense that the Vector is more efficient, nimble and maneuverable. The Sabre has a weight and smoothness advantage.

That being said, I think the Blackbird blows them both out of the water as far as closeness is concerned. I can get DFS range with the Vector but the Sabre is not there for me yet.

Although I haven't tried the Vector, I'm getting a similar results to @fistfullofbeer with the Sabre. I'm sure it is a question of technique but at the moment I can't match my DEs with the Sabre for efficiency. The majority of my DEs are mild other than the Nodachi but still give me a closer shave. I've never tried the Blackbird but assume it is close to the Nodachi efficiency wise?

Trying to match the closeness of the Blackbird using the Sabre is like using a Chevy Tahoe to try to drive like a Corvette. The Sabre is designed to be comfortable, safe, easy to use, and still reasonably efficient. The Blackbird was designed to be as efficient as possible and no other trait mattered. Just different design goals for different tools.

Thanks for chiming in Shane @Blackland Razors . Man, you make some awesome products. I enjoying using each of my 3 Blacklands and every one of them has blown me away in one or more ways.

I think I am just in shock (even after 3 shaves) with the closeness of the shaves that I get from the Blackbird. It is not a tough to use razor either which is even more astounding given the efficiency it offers.

I don't think I will have any other option but to get the Tradere as well .. :D

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Trying to match the closeness of the Blackbird using the Sabre is like using a Chevy Tahoe to try to drive like a Corvette. The Sabre is designed to be comfortable, safe, easy to use, and still reasonably efficient. The Blackbird was designed to be as efficient as possible and no other trait mattered. Just different design goals for different tools.

+1 and an 'Amen' to this. :)

+1 and an 'Amen' to this. :)
I know it will sound crazy but I am almost relieved to hear that the Blackbird is going to be hard to match as far as closeness goes. Not just with the Sabre or Vector but pretty much any razor.

It has honestly taken the pressure of me to try to make every razor match the shave and closeness of the Blackbird. The last 3-4 shaves have just been about enjoying the shaving experience not matter what razor I am using. As someone who just got into this as a hobby, it has been a real good learning experience.

Top Bottom