What's new

Blackland Vector Advice

From many conversations with customers I’ve learned that the most common issue with the Vector is pressure. The head is so light that gravity won’t do the work for you so you need to add some pressure in. This can be tricky for users who are used to always using heavy SS razors. Obviously I can’t diagnose your case, but my blind guess would be to focus on getting the pressure right rather than angle. It works at just about any angle, in my experience, so I don’t even think about the angle.
That makes sense.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
From many conversations with customers I’ve learned that the most common issue with the Vector is pressure. The head is so light that gravity won’t do the work for you so you need to add some pressure in. This can be tricky for users who are used to always using heavy SS razors. Obviously I can’t diagnose your case, but my blind guess would be to focus on getting the pressure right rather than angle. It works at just about any angle, in my experience, so I don’t even think about the angle.

+1 Completely agree.

Excellent news! I am happy to be wrong in this case. The Pro is an underrated blade in my opinion. I’m both my Vector and my Brass General it provides very close and comfortable shaves.
@IMightBeWrong hey, I've been revisiting these old(er) threads, as I've got my eyes fixed on two particular SE razors - Vector and General V2. So, I was hopping you could give me some advice, pros/cons re both. The 1M$ question is which one would be your "desert island" choice and why 😎

By closely inspecting both razors, I see that Vector's head weights just 17g with handle calibrated at 60g, while the General has a more evenly distributed weight - head 33g and handle 57g. The General appears to have a better "weight balance", but what about the shave angle. How intuitive both of these are?

Maybe I should say my favorite razor is Feather Artist Club SS of all DEs and SRs I've ever used. I have never used an AC-type SE, but am looking fwd to trying.

Much obliged if you could shed some light.

Last edited:
Balance isn’t necessary when the head weighs close to nothing. The Vector head is meant to be a precision implement that you can whip around like an extension of your hand rather than something you have to balance against. Have you ever used an X-Acto knife? The weight is entirely in the handle which allows you the ability to be incredibly stable and precise with your cuts. That’s the goal with the Vector.

As we know, people often choose to micro-manage their lives. This is an understandable compulsion. And, the important sociological and hygienic event of shaving is no different from anything else. Hence, on this great forum, we can sometimes hear Comments that some might consider to constitute minutia.

I don't think that way. After 65 years of wet shaving -- just like Grandpa (born 1880) and my Dad (born 1910) -- I am moi the "Grandpa" now. But, all is not lost.

For example, much of the discussion could be compressed if our younger shaver buddies would learn to "listen" to the razor. It is telling you when it is cutting -- and when it is not. Hence, no one needs to be obsessing about things like "angles", aggressive this-or-that, etc.

Bottom-line is to soak your beard, use a decent soap or creme, use a relatively new (sharp) blade and -- have at it!!

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
@IMightBeWrong hey, I've been revisiting these old(er) threads, as I've got my eyes fixed on two particular SE razors - Vector and General V2. So, I was hopping you could give me some advice, pros/cons re both. The 1M$ question is which one would be your "desert island" choice and why 😎

By closely inspecting both razors, I see that Vector's head weights just 17g with handle calibrated at 60g, while the General has a more evenly distributed weight - head 33g and handle 57g. The General appears to have a better "weight balance", but what about the shave angle. How intuitive both of these are?

Maybe I should say my favorite razor is Feather Artist Club SS of all DEs and SRs I've ever used. I have never used an AC-type SE, but am looking fwd to trying.

Much obliged if you could shed some light.

How dare you?

My "Desert Island" choice for both the razor and the blade would be the General with a Feather Pro. The reason being that this particular combination is extremely skin friendly and easy to get BBS with, and I don't have to be very careful if I'm in a hurry. The Vector and the Proline are both more efficient options. I have a slight preference for mild safety razors. I shave with straights about half the time, and if I need a break I want something easy.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20201015_162709~2.jpg
20201016_114901~2.jpg
20201018_071453~2.jpg
20201019_190936~2.jpg

Old thread bump, but op @rodmonster, your experience mirrors mine exactly. Did you ever get this figured out or did you move on?

I’m 14 shaves in on my vector with a mic of p30’s and titan milds. I can’t find an angle to give me a consistently smooth shave. It’s really strange. I regularly use a dart, a blackbird, and a Sabre. This is the only one that isn’t intuitively working. I can’t figure it out.
I also have the same experience. Blade feels very mild on the skin during the shave, but will leave random weepers everywhere. In particular, the Vector has carved up my chin pretty good, but actually performs well on my neck/cheeks.

I use a very shallow angle and find that a steeper angle ends up increasing blade feel - did you manage to sort it out?

This must be an issue where the narrow head just does not agree with your skin. To me, the vector is incredibly easy to use, efficient yet mild. I have had it draw blood once when it slid sideways in my hand, slicing, but never from normal strokes.

It is by a long stretch my favorite razor to use. I hope you get it figured out.

I also have the same experience. Blade feels very mild on the skin during the shave, but will leave random weepers everywhere. In particular, the Vector has carved up my chin pretty good, but actually performs well on my neck/cheeks.

I use a very shallow angle and find that a steeper angle ends up increasing blade feel - did you manage to sort it out?
what blade did you use?

I got one weeper the other night, but I was using the AC Professional, not the usual Proguard that I was used to. I can't imagine what it would be like with the Professional Super.

Top Bottom